Marine Loadouts Pt.2

crackisbad

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

honestly mcarthur, youd need a drill instructor to go with you to get the full effect!

but seriously, just fill a day pack with what you need, and take that to airsoft. thats what i usually do, then dump the pack at a forward position

kipper: no problem man, i was just wondering. your kit looks fantastic

-Joe

Very nice Kipper! The M14 DMR is awesome.

Thanks for the link Chas, I am so getting one of those instead of an M3 now.

Anyway, my Bates 85501s just came. My dad ordered them for me as a suprise, I came how from school and walked in with new boots lol. My old boots were to small and did a number on my heels, IDK if they will even be healed enough before the next game. They feel very nice, I hope the Goretex helps keep my feet cool.

news!

SAW being replaced by the "IAR"

current companies bidding for the right to make the IAR are:

general dynamics, colt, FNH, patriot ordinance, HK, and i think 2 others. designed to be magazine fed, rather than bolt fed. planned weight, loaded, around 10 LBS

advantages: light, similarities to the M16 (depending on rifle chosen), magazine fed, Open bolt and closed bolt fire, gas piston

disadvantages: belt fed is easy to load, while magazine fed weapons require that the magazine be loaded by hand obviously. the USMC does not have plans in place for a large capacity magazine, rather just the standard 30 rounders. thats insanity, and im sure we will use C Mags instead

also, the SMAW will be replaced soon as well, by a much lighter rocket

more info tomorrow!

-Joe

news!

SAW being replaced by the "IAR"

current companies bidding for the right to make the IAR are:

general dynamics, colt, FNH, patriot ordinance, HK, and i think 2 others. designed to be magazine fed, rather than bolt fed. planned weight, loaded, around 10 LBS

advantages: light, similarities to the M16 (depending on rifle chosen), magazine fed, Open bolt and closed bolt fire, gas piston

disadvantages: belt fed is easy to load, while magazine fed weapons require that the magazine be loaded by hand obviously. the USMC does not have plans in place for a large capacity magazine, rather just the standard 30 rounders. thats insanity, and im sure we will use C Mags instead

also, the SMAW will be replaced soon as well, by a much lighter rocket

more info tomorrow!

-Joe

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?n...cle&sid=885

Now every noob and their mother are gonna make one... ghey

Stupid IAR. Waste of the corps $$$ i say.

Ive seen the LW Rifles version on Future Weapons, and i honestly cant see the benefit compared the the SAW. I always liked the Ultimax 100 as a replacement way over another m16. There is just no volume of fire with box magazines, so they then are going to get unreliable hicapacity betac mags or some such bs?

I will have to consult my friend who is a 0331 and see what he thinks.

ok, now that i have time to write, heres the scoop:

the saw is not being replaced. merely supplemented. of the 10000 saws in the USMC inventory, 2000 are going to be replaced, and 4100 IARs will be ordered. therefore, commanders will have the option of having their men carry either weapon, depending on the mission.

ADVANTAGES OF SAW:

-quick change barrel allows for long periods of sustained fire. however, it adds weight because the Marine must carry a spare.

-belt fed. belt fed magazines are extremely easy to load, as the rounds come attached to the belt from the factory. in addtion, it can also fire from a belt linked supply, without the need to reload.

DISADVANTAGES OF SAW:

-heavy... very heavy. loaded, the MKII weighs 22 lbs. that sort of weight seriously degrades the support gunners performance in the rush.

-big and bulky. the SAW is huge. even the para model. it is just unwieldy, and uncomfortable to reach around the large magazine.

-open bolt only. this means that the first shot is much less reliable, and means that the SAW cannot initiate an ambush.

ADVANTAGES OF IAR:

-lightweight. depending on which model is accepted, may weight less than 10 LBS loaded.

-small. generally only the size of an M4 or M16.

-open and closed bolt fire. instead of a standard "auto" selector, it will have OBA" for open bolt automatic. this will enable the shooter to deduce which type of fire is needed. accurate, reliable semi auto, and open bolt full auto. open bolt fire is generally needed for a support weapon because it allows more cool air into the breech, preventing cook offs.

-supply lines will be much less stretched, as the IAR will run off of standard M16 mgazines, and any magazineit does fire from will also be compatible with the M16 and M4.

-piston driven for reliability

-adaptable. comes with a full rail system, and some versions can even accept an M203 or similar launcher.

DISADVANTAGES OF IAR:

-magazine fed only. this means that each magazine, whether a beta C mag, another box mag, or a stanag magazine, must be loaded round by round. thats a *badgeress*.

-the corps is only making plans for it using 30 round stanag magazines... that is plainly stupid. dont worry, if we do accept a new rifle for this role, i know that we will use a large capacity magazine with it.

-barrel will be changeable, but generally not "quick change" like the M249. this means that gunners must pace their fire more than they did with the SAW. i believe that the USMC will realize that this is BAD before they adopt a new rifle, and im hoping that the rifle we choose has a quick change barrel.

-because it is lighter, the recoil will be more than the SAW.

i believe that is it. i think it is a great idea, but we really need to pay attention to those disadvantages, and make sure we dont forget what a support gunner is there for!

remember though, the SAW isnt going away... just being supplemented.

as far as the SMAW, the new version will fire the same 84mm rockets, but the launcher will be shorter, at least 6 LBs lighter, and have an integral thermal sight.

now thats good news.

-Joe

I can see this being used in clearing rooms. Bringing a SAW into a house isn't your best option and this seems like a reasonable alternative. I do see this another waste of money, the Marines had just purchased a bunch of short barrels and buttstocks for the SAW, why use this weapon less? Maybe I am just a sucker for a short barrel saw with a m4 stock.

The IAR sounds to me like the Browning Automatic Rifle of the 21st century. Closer to the assault rifle and thus more adept in the assault role than a light machine gun would be, but with the SAW more akin to the light machine gun, putting out large volumes of fire. Mind you I have absolutely no real experience with the military, but that's just my thinking.

On another note, I just got my hands on a G&P TA31 on the cheap. However, it is missing one of the screw caps for the adjustment knob. Does anyone know if/where I would get a replacement for that?

EDIT: Turns out I had a spare Aimpoint knob (from a broken unit) and it fits! hehe. It does look a bit weird though.

I have one on the way, hopefully i will do a mini review.

How much was it with shipping?

The IAR sounds cool, but 30 round mags on a support weapon is stupid. 30 rounds isn't good enough if you need to lay down lots of fire IMO. But anyway, thanks for the info Joe.

7-12 weeks? Yours is only about $20 more for express, I\'ll kow and extra lawn and get it shipped quick if I get it from Gunners.

EDIT: Okay, prepare to laugh:

DSCF0023-2.jpg

My helmet and my mask are skewed, I couldn''t help that. I was taking my helmet on and off between firefights, and wasn\'t super concerned with making it look good as it was not worth it since the paintball mask would mess it up again. I also noticed my Profiles are about to fall off, and at one point they did. I spent 5 minutes looking for them, and finally found them. But anyway, that\'s what I looked like on Sunday. Enjoy the lol-ness.

For any of you Arnies folk that actually know who the people at this op are, APW is to the left in ACU, and that is Vietboy in the woodland holding his M16/M203 combo in the air.

Archived