TM SIG P226 Second Opinion

So. Time for my 2nd non-WA gun ever (the first being the KSC Sig Pro). I was very curious to see how it measured up, being disappointed in the KSC Sig Pro and really wanting a good Sig.

post-210-1114187509_thumb.jpgpost-210-1114187521_thumb.jpg

Upon taking the P226 out of the box, I was struck by how light and flimsy it felt. That particularly unsettling feeling was reinforced by the fact that the magazine is responsible for half of the total weight.

The markings on the slide are excellent, though, as well as the fake extractor on the ejection port right-hand side. The "SIGARMS INC. Exeter-NH-USA"-rollmark is slightly misplaced, not being left-aligned to the "Stainless"-marking, but that's surely nitpicking. To the right of the proofmark, where the realsteel says "Sigarms, Inc. Exeter NH, Frame made in Germany", there is a pronounced Tokyo Marui-marking instead.

The finish isn't bad as long as you don't touch it, but it's quite "warm" and I can't figure out whether TM tried to replicate Sig's Nitron (too dark) or blue steel (too black).

post-210-1114187541_thumb.jpgpost-210-1114187554_thumb.jpg

Takedown reveals that everything but the blowback chamber and guide rod is plastic, and if you pinch the slide from both sides halfways between the muzzle and the ejection port, it will creak and give, bending inwards.

Hop is adjusted on the barrel/chamber and very accessible, and the front sight is adjustable but held by a spring on the inside of the slide at the muzzle, a very smart solution that I wish more companies took after.

post-210-1114187565_thumb.jpgpost-210-1114187580_thumb.jpg

The internal construction looks solid, and so do the control surfaces, all being grooved horizontally, not checkered. The decocker is fully functional and places the hammer in half-cock, putting the trigger in its forward-position. When the hammer is fully cocked, the trigger goes into its rearward-position, making trigger pull shorter and more controllable.

Slide return is snappy, passing the vertical-muzzle (muzzle pointed towards the sky, slide released with finger drag-stopping it and releasing it, it should not stick), which surprised me positively since a very large portion of the slide-to-frame contact area (rails) are plastic on plastic.

post-210-1114187592_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, the excellent markings are let down by very visible seam lines, underneath the frame running from the beginning of the trigger guard over the entire length of the tactical rails. The plastic outer barrel also has an ugly seam right at the top.

post-210-1114187726_thumb.jpgpost-210-1114187754_thumb.jpg

I didn't have a chrono handy, my estimate is roughly 220fps on HFC134a with fair accuracy, grouping 5" at 5m. Surely not "race ready", you're not going to emulate Ernest Langdon, winning the IDPA nationals and countless other practical shooting competitions with his Sig, beating out the whole custom-1911-crowd.

I would not run HFC22 through this without fitting at least a metal slide, the plastic makes it feel very brittle.

As you can see when compared to a singlestack 1911 and a doublestack Para-Ordnance, the Sig P226 is quite compact and the grip angle is slightly less steep. The bigger grip radius-distance (even with hammer cocked and trigger in battery position) means that you'll have to have slightly longer fingers, but if you exhibit the best fire control with your last index finger joint, it won't pose much of a problem.

post-210-1114187765_thumb.jpgpost-210-1114187776_thumb.jpg

The grip is slightly ergonomically rounded, but much fatter than a 1911 and even though the Para is wider at its widest point, it feels slimmer in the hand, at least my hand. I suspect that's because the P226 grip is quite bulgy, settling itself nicely in the palm of your hand. I have rather small hands, so I usually prefer singlestack 1911's, but I didn't mind the P226 grip at all.

post-210-1114187788_thumb.jpg

The slide is quite a bit shorter than a standard 5" 1911, which means the sight radius isn't as long. The sights are of the 3-dot kind, but the front sight blade dot is not larger than the rear dots, which means people accustomed to the optical illusion of equal-size dots will be disappointed.

Conclusion:

I'm not particularly impressed by the latest TM GBB offering. The good (markings, style, it's a Sig) doesn't weigh heavier than the bad (very light, creaky, brittle), but it's only $100 after all. For that, you can treat it like three good lunches when skirmishing, just be prepared to feel more like Buzz Lightyear than Jack Bauer.

I'll hold on to mine, though, hoping that the Sheriff slide will improve it, and hoping even more that someone puts out a full-body kit for it.

M.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice review, Marcus! Once again, an excellent reminder of how people in these forums look things from very different perspectives!

Well, looks like I´ll put my TM P226 order on hold, until Shooters Design or PGC has released a metal kit for it.

Good review, if a little harsh. I know the plastic TM uses in their GBBs feels very light and flimsy, but it's actually very tough. You can most likely run the 226 on green gas without damaging it, just like the TM Hi-Capa and Desert Eagle.

KSC and WA make much better looking/feeling guns, but when it comes to pure performance, TM is the way to go.

Nice review Marcus.

No real surprise that the TM performs well (Their hop is probably the best around), although 220 fps on 134a (if close to accurate) is nothing to write home about, but those seams and the generally light plastic are disappointing, as we can now see from these photos.

As Vektor says, people have different perspectives, but SADLY, this isn't the perfect gun some were predicting - Shame really, as I was beginning to warm to the idea of getting one.

Cheers/

Edited by snowman

Nice review Marcus, no real surprises here...

I figured that the Sig would look and feel nowhere near as good as a WA or metal equivelent, but this was to be expected..

I'm waiting for my Sig to arrive right now, and I will post to agree/disagree with you :)

But I know what I've bought, a skirmish piece that should be 100% reliable, thats what I expect from Marui..

I have my custom metal KSC USP compact for the Practical Pistol I do, and I have a WA Premium Perfect M92f for a sidearm in skirmishes ATM, but I don't feel comfortable dragging such a pistol through the dirt in a skirmish..

I need something that won't mind some abuse in the field, and that I'll be 100% certain will shoot when I pull the trigger afterward.

Good work on the review - think its a tad biased but some good pionts made.

But 220 FP/S on HFC134a? :huh: Mine cronos at an even 280-282fp/s & dropped to 267fp/s after i put the mag in the fridge to test the new engine so i think the estimation is a touch low.

Ive put about 1000 rounds through mine & its still unmarked but i dont skirmish most of my pistols so im not the best judge on how much combat treatment it will take.

If you look at the WA Colt 1911's, Para-Ords, Berettas & Wilsons the weight is made up mostly by the mag - you cant single the P226 out for this - its generic in airsoft. The only exeption is the double stack Infinity, STI & Hi-Capa's where the frame is mostly metal.

The finnish can be a concern but i think compared to the TM M9, DE & Hi-Capa the finnish blows them away. Its not up to the highest standard but its not that bad.

I think the weight issues reside in the frame. Im giong to pack the front inner section with steel srips & resin to give it a bit more substance.

The slide is a bit flimsy if you squeeze it though but no more so than a TM M9 or a Ksc Glock or M93R II.

I agree that high power gas will be a no-no but i dont use it anyhow. I think with the slide being plastic & the Blowback being that feirce on HFC134a, HFC22 will f**k it up big time.

An Aluminium slide will beef it up considerably though & im desperate for sherrif to release theirs... that will be good :)

But i still think its the best TM Pistol so far in every way & is better than most Ksc guns also, but opinions will always differ.

Good reveiw none the less! :D

Armourpiercing.

Edited by Armourpiercing

Great review Marcus! :D

I love my full metal KJW Glock 23. It, too, is quite light without the mag in and if you shake it you can hear and feel that it's not the most tightly-fitted gun out there. However, I absolutely love the way it performs. Yet it wasn't until I read this review that I bothered to just now take it out, turn it over and see that *gasp* there's seamlines! :blink:

So besides this review being lovely in its own right it has helped me realized something about myself: as long as the gun is a very close replica aesthetically and performs well then I could care less if there's seamlines. I don't plan on shooting gansta style so I'm sure nobody will notice.

edit: checked my WA Wilson Combat CQB and there's no seamlines so I guess you get what you pay for

Edited by Magnus
I would not run HFC22 through this without fitting at least a metal slide, the plastic makes it feel very brittle.

been running mine on green since i got it, no problems so far

dont really care tho, going to get a metal slide as soon as i can anyway, so if the plastic one breaks its no problem :P

been running mine on green since i got it, no problems so far

dont really care tho, going to get a metal slide as soon as i can anyway, so if the plastic one breaks its no problem :P

What's that? 5 days?

Bit early to give the 226 an 'approved for Green gas' stamp of approval, but I fear we'll be seeing posts saying "I've heard that the P226 is totally fine with Green" within the day :)

Cheers.

I didn't have a chrono handy, my estimate is roughly 220fps on HFC134a with fair accuracy, grouping 5" at 5m. Surely not "race ready"

Oh ya - 5 inch groupings at 5m? Was that right after doing 60 pushups? :P I don't believe it, that's terrible accuracy. You sure you don't mean 5cm groupings?

I don't believe it, that's terrible accuracy. You sure you don't mean 5cm

Yep, 5" as in inches, ~12cm. And yes, I thought it was quite terrible myself :P

I'm not an extremely good shot, but the Kimber used for comparison in a few of the photos groups sub-1" from 5" benchrested, and is quite the tack driver when compared to the P226, both in terms of power output and blowback snappiness.

M.

Edited by Marcus