CheyTac M200 Build

dobey

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
loving this, about to start one myself... damn you!

Great! Sometimes I tend do do things the hard way and always look forward to seeing other custom builds as it gives a fresh perspective. I especially liked your AW 50 build because I had done it as well, and so I got to see how someone else would do it. I look forward to seeing how you tackle the CheyTac.

Yeah I will probably make the silencer as I have some extra tube laying around. And as far as plastic is concerned I think it takes as much if not more skill to make anything from it, metal is easy with the right tools but if I try anything with plastic I end up gluing all my fingers together.

Working on the trigger guard area today.

It started out as a scrap piece of aluminum I had in the shop:

grip-001.jpg

A little chopping and milling later:

grip-002.jpg

Then some more milling for the grip mount, I will be using any standard M16 variant grip for this:

grip-003.jpg

A little hole for the trigger and mechanism to fit:

grip-004.jpg

Here it is sitting on the lower receiver, I need to make the mounting holes next:

grip-005.jpg

And with a standard M16 grip mounted (in this case a CA M4 grip) I am looking for just the right grip.

grip-006.jpg

do you have the full edition of the digital calipers? i have the trial and didnt know if the full version was worth the 30 dollars, and do you have any ideas for the reciever, i mean making it shorter to closer resemble the real thing? i thought about extending the bolt handle back, and having the reciever go farther back and completely cover the housing. or maybe build another trigger and have that push the real trigger with the real trigger hidden above the grip. just thoughts, but it looks amazing never the less. i should be picking up my 3 in 1 mill within the month and starting various projects this one included shortly there after.

I have the full version but I never used the trial so I am not sure what the difference is. I know I use it every day so it is worth it to me.

It is right at 4.5 lbs (2.04 Kg) so far in these pictures (what you see in the pics). With the rest of the stock, scope bipod, magazine, rear mono pod etc to go I am guessing it will come in around 8 to 10 pounds (3.6 to 4.5 Kg).

Did some work on the stock, I was hoping to have it done today (the stock) but the trigger guard and grip section took longer than I thought.

stock1.jpg

stock-002.jpg

I have more to do here, notch one rod and make the release button but it is a start:

stock-003.jpg

It is really starting to look like something now:

stock-004.jpg

I am going to machine a fitting that mounts in the barrel where the stock magazine fed in and run a hose back to the real steel's magazine location where it can be fed by a regular airsoft magazine that will be hidden inside the CheyTac Mag.

When you look back at what you have made in 3-4 days and considering it will take a lot less once you know exactly how to build one of these, is it safe to say you could be able to build 1-2 kits a week if you decided to sell them?

You should really look into it and make some numbers...

I had a nice chat this morning with Belladonna and she was a great help (only after she made me admit the obvious superiority of the UK over the US :P). She helped me work out how the stock release switch worked among other things, very bright girl, thanks again Bella.

After my chat with her I tossed out my original slide blocks for the stock and remade them larger and a bit lower to accommodate for the lever that locks it in position as well as keeping it from being pulled off the gun. Here is a shot of the new blocks all mounted up, time to work on the lever.

stock-009.jpg

The scope arrived today as well, it is a NCStar 4-16x50 Mark III, pics:

stock-005.jpg

stock-008.jpg

Here is a little step by step for all those interested:

I start out with a block of aluminum as close in size as I can find from the scrap bin, mark it up where I want to remove metal and take larger pieces off with the chop saw first, be very careful cutting metal on this type of saw, I would prefer using a band saw but mine needs a new blade:

stock-010.jpg

Chopped to rough shape:

stock-011.jpg

Then to the mill to clean it up:

stock-012.jpg

To the drill press to do some holes:

stock-013.jpg

And then test to make sure I got the spacing correct:

stock-014.jpg

I have some more to do to this to mount it up but that is basically what it takes.

Archived