Truly British

ColDaz

By the way, the real reason for driving on the left isn't to make combat easier, it's to make it harder. It was done that way so knights could see the other guy's hand and be sure he wasn't gonna pull a fast one on him. The difficulty that arises in this situation with a left-handed person, by the way, is a large part of why lefties were percieved as evil or sinister.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In addition to the fine points made above, I've found that the ability to look down ones' nose at someone, and comment acidically that they're being a little bit silly, is a fine art perfected only by us, the best nation on Earth, the British :)

Oh, and Shin_Kudo? yep. That's why British Engineers are best.

"This looks complicated. I need a bigger hammer" :)

Yes bigger hammers, bet we invented them as well :D

Lets sum up.

What really makes Great Britain and its inhabitants Great is:

- You need to queue orderly (on pain of death)

- Phone ahead before turning up at someones house, by at leastan hour (on pain of death)

- We have the ability to put our flag on other peoples flags.

- We have bulldogs :D.

- And are in possession of ''A calm and reasonable knowledge that you are from the finest country on Earth.'' (but Wales isn't really a country, so doesn't count.)

- Knowing that the above does not count for Americans as well.

- We have many mindlessly drunk alcoholics.

- The ability to ''maintain your stiff upper lip''.

- ''Always having your trusty gun near to shoot people who turn up at your house has a bandana made of old clothes''

- ''we had largest empire'' ''we ruled many countries''

- TEA! We invented the holiest of holy inventions. No coffee for us!

- We founded Australia and Canada. Who are by extention great in their own little way.

- They also had the sense to declare independance. Good breeding that.

- Also, Cinder can't claim any British Glory.

- We invented curry. Oh yes.

- ''i shall just remind you that pervy comments from members of a nation that turned up late to both world wars and then just went dancing, shall be ignored.'' Speaks for itself really.

- ''To me, what makes Britain great is the fact that we're not that big, not that rich, not that well armed, and basically a league behind America. Yet our actors, scientists, authors, politicians, soldiers, directors and culture are, pretty much, very well known internationally.''

- No American has 'fixed' Iraq. End of story. And they needed the SAS to hold their hands the whole way. Plus, we are invited to all other peoples wars - ''coz we're 'ard innit''.

- The slagging off for days on end - oh I love this country.

- We *get* sarcasm. Half of my daily speech is made up of sarcasm. I'm sure we invented that too. Just like the cat.

- Cynicism makes up the other half of my speech. We invented that too.

- All that Hissing Sid said. We did it first. And we can make beer. REAL beer. (spits on an armalite)

- We can drive on the correct side of the road and understand the concept of a roundabout (rolls eyes).

- So polite we are loved almost everywhere.

- The French literally are ours. Nothing more to say.

- ''to know that without the British army America would be FRANCE... ungrateful colonists'' Thats right, bow down.

- Understatement-ness. Thats great.

- TEA! Did I mention tea!? And real beer!

- Britain has not been successfully invaded since 1066 thats 939 years.

- We also have Doctor Who. How do you beat that, hey?

And, how could we forget, we have Arnies Airsoft. Co dot ->*UK*<-

Couldn't have put it in a list better myself, +1 rep point for that

But you forgot

-we have the SAS, only the best special forces in the world

-we started the industrial revolution

-we invented trains- steam power- the revolver- i kid you not, there are designs for a revolver going back further than that american copy

-i think we invented the bike

and the list goes on :D

Exactamally. We invented most that is worth having.

And, until recent times, all that we made was of high quality and lasted virtually forever.

I have a 27year old hoover that is still working, and my gran has one which is still working even older than that, and you guessed it, they are BRITISH made :D

Nah, Lord of the Rings is not a thing that endears itself to me especially. It took me a year to read the trilogy, whereas it usually takes me two or three days.

We have George Orwell as well, 1984 and Animal Farm are two of the best books ever written in my opinion.

-the tank

-2DTV

-The watch, i think

and on with the bike list

-pace

-DMR

-Orange

-Curtis

-24Seven

-Hope

-Goldtec, which not is up the road from my house

-Gusset

-Identiti

-Cotic

-MuddyFox

-Merlin bikes

the 2 above i have bikes from

Lets sum up.

What really makes Great Britain and its inhabitants Great is:

- You need to queue orderly (on pain of death)

- Phone ahead before turning up at someones house, by at leastan hour (on pain of death)

- We have the ability to put our flag on other peoples flags.

- We have bulldogs :D.

- And are in possession of ''A calm and reasonable knowledge that you are from the finest country on Earth.'' (but Wales isn't really a country, so doesn't count.)

- Knowing that the above does not count for Americans as well.

- We have many mindlessly drunk alcoholics.

- The ability to ''maintain your stiff upper lip''.

- ''Always having your trusty gun near to shoot people who turn up at your house has a bandana made of old clothes''

- ''we had largest empire'' ''we ruled many countries''

- TEA! We invented the holiest of holy inventions. No coffee for us!

- We founded Australia and Canada. Who are by extention great in their own little way.

- They also had the sense to declare independance. Good breeding that.

- Also, Cinder can't claim any British Glory.

- We invented curry. Oh yes.

- ''i shall just remind you that pervy comments from members of a nation that turned up late to both world wars and then just went dancing, shall be ignored.'' Speaks for itself really.

- ''To me, what makes Britain great is the fact that we're not that big, not that rich, not that well armed, and basically a league behind America. Yet our actors, scientists, authors, politicians, soldiers, directors and culture are, pretty much, very well known internationally.''

- No American has 'fixed' Iraq. End of story. And they needed the SAS to hold their hands the whole way. Plus, we are invited to all other peoples wars - ''coz we're 'ard innit''.

- The slagging off for days on end - oh I love this country.

- We *get* sarcasm. Half of my daily speech is made up of sarcasm. I'm sure we invented that too. Just like the cat.

- Cynicism makes up the other half of my speech. We invented that too.

- All that Hissing Sid said. We did it first. And we can make beer. REAL beer. (spits on an armalite)

- We can drive on the correct side of the road and understand the concept of a roundabout (rolls eyes).

- So polite we are loved almost everywhere.

- The French literally are ours. Nothing more to say.

- ''to know that without the British army America would be FRANCE... ungrateful colonists'' Thats right, bow down.

- Understatement-ness. Thats great.

- TEA! Did I mention tea!? And real beer!

- Britain has not been successfully invaded since 1066 thats 939 years.

- We also have Doctor Who. How do you beat that, hey?

And, how could we forget, we have Arnies Airsoft. Co dot ->*UK*<-

Im 1/2 welsh and I consider wales a country justas much as wales but if what your trying to say is wales and england are considered the same country then I can totallyagree with that coz your always hearing "england and wales" this and "england and wales" that. So yes I would could consider England and wales being brothers with scotland and ireland being half brothers ( as they are a bit more independent from england).

ps: Wales must be a country if we can be champions of europe at a truly british sport...............RUGBY with only a population of 3million :D

cadetrichards, I'm only joking mate, just like the French. Although it is basically just one country with Scotland on top.

And yes, David Beckham is not an idol of mine, truly a girly man, but this is about the *good* things of Britain.

We have BLACKADDER!!!!!!!

I cannot believe that I for got this, but:

Brits have REAL Comedy that is ACTUALLY funny.

Funny Brits:

Monty Python

The Two Ronnies

Porridge

Morecambe and Wise

John Cleese (yes I know he was in MP)

Not The 9 o'clock News

Blackadder

Monty Python

Eddie Izzard

Monty Python

And many many more. Not Ricky Gervywhatshisface. He's really an American with an accent and a wig.

Funny Americans:

George W Bush

(for the wrong reasons)

And that, my friends, is how Britain is so much better than you all.

:zorro:

I can't stand American 'comedy'. Friends, for example, I do not find funny in the slightest. Yeh, it's 'quirky' and kinda 'wierd', but maybe I just gon't *get* it, like they don't always get Monty Python and stuff like that.

(shrug).

Oh, Only Fools and Horses.

And if i am correct we invented the electric motor, which without we wouldn't have our AEG's

-and i do belive we came up with the periodic table of elements

-dairymilk chocholate

the computer in WW2, which is vital for this forum etc

"wonders if we should tell arnie about this thread"

8 Jet propulsion

They say …

In 1796 the American, James Rumsey, drove a steam-powered boat that worked by pushing out a jet of water. It travelled at 4 mph. It became a popular motor for model boats and the US claimed the first jet-propelled vehicle. But …

Brits say …

The great Sir Isaac Newton invented the jet-powered car. He forecast that one day people would travel at 50 miles an hour. In 1680 a man called Gravesande designed a car that would be powered by Newton’s third law of motion – “To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” A boiler sent out a jet of steam that pushed the car along. Of course everyone on the road behind the jet engine would have been scalded, but that’s a small price to pay for progress.

Source: http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/BestifBrits.htm

The bloke who invented the Jet engine actually lived near me. Can't think of his name...damn.

Whats his name!?

Sir Frank Whittle. http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/jet_engine.htm

We also devised the bullpup rifle configuration, whereby a full barrel rifle can be of shorter than conventional length, which several other countries have pinched for their own (France, Austria, Israel).

Then we built the bloody L85. Best not mention that ;)

Archived