Communication Gear Pictures

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have some questions to ask you gents here. I'm looking to upgrade my comm gear from my little red Motorola Talkabout but I'm not nearly as well-versed in this stuff as you all are. As a matter of fact, I know almost nothing.

I'd like to get a radio that's a little more powerful and I suppose a little bigger so that it'll fit in pouches better. I'd just like to have something that will still be able to communicate with other players who use the Talkabouts and other Radioshack-level stuff. What are the requirements for a decent radio to be compatible with those?

So, what I'm asking is, what should I be looking to upgrade to? I don't need anything super-powered or bombproof, just cost-effective, reasonably powerful, and compatible with the frequencies of the cheaper radios. I've been looking at Motorola Saber 1E's and II's on Ebay. Is this a good idea?

So these ICOM's can be programmed to work well with the cheap Radioshack stuff?

If the radio itself is in the UHF spectrum, it can work with most standard walkie-talkie FRS radios. The only area that it gets tricky is the sub-channel area. There is a way to program them, but I don't know what it is. You'd have to talk to someone much more knowledgable. All of my ICOMs are programmed for standard FRS/GMRS channels and work great. Even better, when some noob is being a *fruitcage*wad on the net, I can use my 5w TX power to override him.

validtumoralarm/gridstone- on my ICOM F50/F60 software it refers to the sub channels as continuous tones. I am only able to program 9 at a time on the F60's I have. Every radio manufacturer uses slightly different tone settings. I have a table that has cobra, midland, Cherokee, Motorola and radio shack, any one who wants this table, send me a PM with your email address and I can forward it to you.

KM

• 4 weeks later...

Audio quality isn't bad. As to be expected from Sordin speakers.

Zunes are where it's at! Even if Microsoft nuked them since they couldn't compete with Apple ;)

Crack, everything I have there can be found at Radiofap (Radio Shack).

I used a Female Y to male plug (two female plugs that end in a male plug) and a female to female coupler to attach the radio and Zune to my PTT. For the mic lead I got this

http://www.pchcables.com/182mafestexc.html

The other bits you need are two 3.5mm male to male cords. One of them is longer than the other since I used what I had in my cable bin.

The remote to the zune is one I got in the travel pack. I'm using that since it allows me to pause and adjust the volume without removing the zune from the pouch I have it in (BHI cuff pouch with a slit in the bottom works great!).

How I have it setup is meant for use with an ICOM PTT, but if your setup is reversed (the mic plug is 3.5mm and the audio plug is 2.5mm which is how it is for Kenwood radios IIRC) its just a matter of getting the correct size adapters. The setup itself would remain the same.

Hope it helps!

Edited by colwombat