Communication Gear Pictures

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you on that man. Looks like I've gotta keep ma damn eyes open. Even though the Peltors are doing me good with the HT1000's I've got, I'd still like to get some Icom's and Sordins up and running soon. Wrench, did you see the Sordin headset on Ebay right now with the multiple connector box thing? Where you can plug in more than one radio I believe.

I hear you on that man. Looks like I've gotta keep ma damn eyes open. Even though the Peltors are doing me good with the HT1000's I've got, I'd still like to get some Icom's and Sordins up and running soon. Wrench, did you see the Sordin headset on Ebay right now with the multiple connector box thing? Where you can plug in more than one radio I believe.

Yes, but he has no radio interfacve cables with it. I have exchanged a couple of emails with the guy and he either has no idea what he is selling or is full of ###### with what he has.

You would still need to get interface cables to make it work. Icoms being the cheapest at about 120 each, with all other systems you basicly add another 250 or so to that initial 120.

Does any one have any experience with TCI liberator II's. Im looking at getting a set but i can only find one review. So basically are they any good or would i be better off with comtac's or something?

I have found that they are purpose built for one radio. The Ptt's at times are hard wired to them so you can not plug them into another system. Which models would you be getting. They based their original system on Peltor then Peltor 2's and finaly sordins. Which if I am not mistaken they make a lot of the sordin based Ranger communication systems for MSA.

They make good headsets for sure. If you are thinking of buying directly from them I might suggest keeping your eyes out on ebay. You will the sordins go on there for a fraction of the cost TCI will charge you for their stuff. And the sordin will be wired for NATO standard, which is what your bowman should be.

TheFlash and I have been working on our own functional Blade Antennas for our team:

Folded up:

bladeantenna02.jpg

Extended:

bladeantenna03.jpg

Basic Communications setup (switched the radio to the left side later on):

bladeantenna01.jpg

Based on an initial design TheFlash came up with, he and I went through multiple prototypes before finally coming up with ones that worked, and worked well. Having a long antenna isn't the hard part. The hard part was making a blade antenna that could be repeatedly folded up as many times as needed and still be able to revert back to its extended state cleanly and consistently (and stayed relatively rigid so you can run around with it in that extended state). I think we went through three generations of R&D, a painful amount of trial and error, and a lot of wasted material before we finally came up with the finished prototype. The above pictures are the first pics we took a few weeks back of the first production model (although we did change the extension cable to a meatier MilSpec cable after these pics were taken). We then went onto make a dozen more for the team.

More "In theater" pics to follow. :)

We ran quite a few tests before cranking out the first dozen for our team. Our first set of tests were conducted in an urban area near an airport and marina, so the entire area is absolutely bombarded with interference but we still experienced well over 2x the range of the standard ICOM antenna. We also tested them in the local mountains and they covered more area than we cared to explore; still well beyond the range of the standard antenna. I only tested with UHF, but one of our teammates experienced the same results using VHF via an ICOM F3.

No, not optimized but definitely significantly better than the standard 5" antenna that came with the radio. Most of us ran with them folded like I have in the pics and we had a lot more range than the regular antenna users. When TheFlash and I first tested the blade antenna one person had the blade antenna, the other had a regular antenna. As the distance between the two radios grew, the radio with the short antenna started to have crackly comms, whereas the blade antenna still received crystal clear. At one point using the short antenna, I could broadcast and the blade antenna would pick it up, but when TheFlash replied using the bladed radio, I couldn't hear it on my end as the short antenna simply didn't have the range.

So, not "optimized" persay, but definitely better, even with it folded up like in the pics.

My hat is off to both of you guys for that! I gotta say I'm loving it, and when I get some Icoms my way, could definately use something like that, especially since I do a bit of off roading out in the desert, I'd definately would like to try something like that with as much distance as possible. What model Icoms were you guys using?