Communication Gear Pictures

So, since uscmCorps hasn't responded to any of my PMs in months about selling these, if anyone is able to replicate this antenna, please give me a shout. I have 5 to 10 buyers ready, waiting, and eager.

Hey Kraut. Sorry about that. My buddy was out of town for a few weeks and as soon as he got back, I left for Hong Kong (and am still there). I'll have a talk with him when I get back to the USA on Tuesday and discuss the logistics of getting a batch done. We have most of the materials and everything good to go... just need assembly.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, i've been playing airsoft for years, and the extent of my comms knowledge is motorola talkabout or cobra walmart radios...

i've been reading and searching and its all mumbo jumbo to me.

I'd like to get a legit comms setup going for my new loadout.....

I often play squad leader at ops, so I'd like to run two radios, one for comms within my squad and one to keep in communications with my teams command channel so i can get orders and pass em down, or receive intel from my squad and pass it up......

anyone of you comms enthusiasts wanna gimme a hand or point me in the right direction?

I'd like something that involves the use of sordins, since im making a new helmet rig based off a mich 2001 replica and i love the way sordins look under that helmet.

thanks.

I'm also one of those unfortunate few who bought the ICOM EBB Bowman PTT headset thinking that it would be compatible with my $20 Midland LX330 radio. The Headset has 4 contacts between its two pins compared to the five contacts that my midland-compatible PTT headset had.

So now I'm looking for a radio that's compatible with this headset. Thing is, I'm looking for something cheap. I'm not looking to replicate any particular loadout, I'm just looking for something that works, and is reasonably reliable. I would really appreciate help with this, since I've dredged up wrong information on this topic in the past, and I'm not very keen on dumping much more money into a comm setup, especially since most people I game with don't even use them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very well made and worth the effort there usmc! Would you mind sharing on how you make those?

TheFlash and I have been working on our own functional Blade Antennas for our team:

Folded up:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7408/bladeantenna02.jpg

Extended:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9495/bladeantenna03.jpg

Basic Communications setup (switched the radio to the left side later on):

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9623/bladeantenna01.jpg

Based on an initial design TheFlash came up with, he and I went through multiple prototypes before finally coming up with ones that worked, and worked well. Having a long antenna isn't the hard part. The hard part was making a blade antenna that could be repeatedly folded up as many times as needed and still be able to revert back to its extended state cleanly and consistently (and stayed relatively rigid so you can run around with it in that extended state). I think we went through three generations of R&D, a painful amount of trial and error, and a lot of wasted material before we finally came up with the finished prototype. The above pictures are the first pics we took a few weeks back of the first production model (although we did change the extension cable to a meatier MilSpec cable after these pics were taken). We then went onto make a dozen more for the team.

More "In theater" pics to follow. :)

EBB Replica Peltor Comtac

EBB Replica Peltor PTT

Not skirmished with yet but works fine around the house. Radio Ae can be upgraded/changed.

Mine started out fine but have been a bit temperamental of late :headbutt: Can transmit but can't always hear, or sometimes the other way round...

I know about the Comtacs and Sordins, but has anyone used the Peltor Sound-Trap?

They look like they would be a step between the Comtac and the replicas, but the problem is I can't find the specific information on the mic boom and accessories, to make it usable for a lefty.

After googling with no luck, I was thinking one of you has had to hear something about them.

Haven't really heard much Husker..finding comms for a lefty is somewhat tricky, especially when it comes to the Peltors and Sordins...usually it has to be a dual comm version, and even with that and the Sordins, finding one with the mic on the right side is rare. It cost me quite a nice penny to get my Sordins new for a lefty and with only 2 PTT's and no bag or manual.

For those you might have to use a throat mic, although I'm not sure. The parts can definately be found on Ebay, like right now there's 2 flexi boom mics and 2 throat mics, and from time to time the downlead cables come up for sale also.

The thing that really sucks is companies and manufacturers that wanna replicate things don't take into thought us lefty players/shooters out there! Even with the replicas they're all meant for right handed people. Even though in airsoft it shouldn't matter, we still go back to our basic instincts as left handed people.

Edited by pforcerecon

Marconi H4855 PRR and a Dragon Red MBITR replica:

mbitrogprr.jpg

I've used a similar setup for over a year now, but with a regular 446 PMR (the "Cobra" type), and it's pretty sweet.

However, I had to get a new Dual PTT for the PRR with a U-229 connector to hook it up to the MBITR, and as it turns out, this one (received from Ebay yesterday) was defect. My MBITR starts constantly transmitting as soon as I plug it in :(

I've been able to source another Dual PTT through a friend of mine though, so hopefully it'll work out!

Anyway, the point of a setup like this is to use the PRR for internal squad-communication, and the co-ax radio (MBITR in this case) for platoon or company level.

The best part is that our squad-chatter won't hog the entire net for the rest of the platoon/company at larger games.

For that reason, PRR's have been getting popular here in Norway the last few years :)

The best part is that our squad-chatter won't hog the entire net for the rest of the platoon/company at larger games.

For that reason, PRR's have been getting popular here in Norway the last few years :)

im jealous. where i play, most people have FRS, there'll be a squad with UHF, 2 squads with VHF but different radios with different frequencies, and some other fireteam with GMRS, and half the game, someone will be on VOX....

No reference pictures, but the dual PTT with the U-229 connector is a real item, so it should at least be possible in real life.

While many are moving on to the PRR, it does have its shortcomings. High price (compared to cheaper 446mhz PMR's) and short range, as well as availability means that most still use normal PMR radios. Only UHF, as there are some legal limitations to VHF's. So that simplifies things. That's why it's best to use these kinds of PRR's in tandem with something that can receive and transmit on the 446mhz frequencies, like this MBITR can. So while you use the PPR to talk to your buddies in your squad, you're still not shut off from the outside world that uses PMR's :)

Oh, and there's one last type of radio being used here;

The Zodiac 68mhz "Association-Radio" (Forbundsradio), which the Norwegian Airsoft Association has specific permission to use in games :)

These are VHF radios with massive range, mostly used to co-ordinate between organizers and higher-ups at large airsoft events.

Oh, and whenever I host games, I allways remind people not to use Vox and to rip the calling-buttons off their radios if they haven't already :P

I got a replica Comtac II's in a trade, and it works fine and everything, but I just hate the really high beeps you hear whenever you do anything from turning on or adjusting volume. Am I the only one who gets bothered by the sound?

By the way, it's ability to hear voices far away is absolutely awesome.

Edited by bbondaloose

It transfers audio from the MBITR audio output to the PRR audio output (headset, in other words), and allows you to transmit audio through the MBITR by pressing the second PTT on the PRR and speaking into your respective headset's microphone...

Basicly, "two radios in one" or something along those lines...

Meh, that was messy, simple explanation:

- One headset

- One PTT

- Two radios

All connected to eachother in a pretty little package :)

Edited by Pkekyo-Nor
Panzer,

Very cool *suitcase* - dumb question, but what exactly does connecting the MBITR to the PRR do? Ive always wondered.

I assume, as the poster mentioned using a dual PTT, that it lets the user have the output from both the PRR and the MITBR coming thru the headset, with each radio having a seperate PTT. Lets you talk on Squad (PRR) and command (MBITR) level radio channels using the one headset.