Camera mounting onto an AEG

cafemondo

What would be a good way of mounting a camera to 20mm RIS rail? Theres got to be a cheap ACM item (scope mount, riser?) out there thats easily modified to take the flat base of a camera and be able to screw from underneath. Any suggestions?

There is a M16 grip, modified with a QD release to fit on a bottom RIS as a forward handgrip.

Remove the M16 grip, invert the RIS part, drill it to take the camera mounting bolt, and away you go.

(Youi may wish to cable tie the QD release catch. Don't want to loose your camera.)

See, takes longer to type than to do............................ :D

There is a M16 grip, modified with a QD release to fit on a bottom RIS as a forward handgrip.

Remove the M16 grip, invert the RIS part, drill it to take the camera mounting bolt, and away you go.

(Youi may wish to cable tie the QD release catch. Don't want to loose your camera.)

See, takes longer to type than to do............................ :D

gaffa tape :D.

you could always use a scope ring, or 2, cut them down, screw a little plate on between the 2, then mount the camera to that

Phat' has a good point, I appreciate that you can edit the footage out later on but I would imagine you wouldn't get much before your cameras memory was used. Also, strapping an expensive camera to your gun will make it seriously front heavy and the general skirmish wear and tear might get a whole lot more expensive if you fall over or catch your AEG on a wall etc. If you're looking to record some skirmish footage, I would advise you either grab a marshalls jacket and take some ingame footage or use a helmet camera like Phat' suggested :)

i used a cheapy ebay quick release mount for an aimpoint to cobble together a mount for my night vision (i know, not a camera, but same principle!), and it works surprisingly well! it would be easy to drill a hole for the mounting screw.

it is made in parts, so i unscrewed the ring from the base, leaving me a nice flat-topped QR base to work from - no cutting of rings required

only cost a fiver shipped, so didnt matter if it didnt work!

hope this helps :)

Daft question, but you are talking about video cameras, aren't you. I can see you've made videos before, but if you want guncam footage a bulletcam/lipstick cam is better as it doesn't add to the weight of the gun much and easily mounted using scope rings. |I've also shot lots of guncam footage and very little is useable or interesting unless you have something else as a filler. I'm trying to setup a helmet and guncam for skirmish, but keeping cables sensible is awkward

Thanks for all the replies, a good read. Im after ingame footage whilst playing and would like to be able to carry the camera without it swinging on the end of its strap or getting smashed in a pocket. Im after maximum versatility whilst getting the best quality I can from what Ive got.

Thanks for the headup Shmook, at the moment Im looking at this type of mount, is it what you were suggesting? its defintely not a fiver. But would probably work quite well being raised and quick release.

AS675c.jpg

Harmless - A bulletcam or lipstick cam, what do these record onto? How are they powered?

The bullet cam can record into any video recorder with an AV in. I use a DV recorder, either a solid state recoder or a hard drive based one. The hard drive one have the best capacity 100 gig or so and usually the best battery life, but you own camera is likely to have an input anyway. The cams are powered externally with a battery pack either a or a rechargeable lithium pack. Cam quality determines low light capability.

These guys are good

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/

and so are

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/helmet_cameras.htm

Got some footage youtube

and this shows the limitation of guncams.

The cam is mounted directly on a ris rail with a scope mount on a p90, so the package is pretty small as all the camera etc is carried in a pouch and you just have to worry about routing the cables so they don't get in the way.

Don't bother.

Think where your gun is pointing 99% of the time. At the floor or waistheight. Strap the camera to your head.

Strap it to your head and you NEVER get any good footage.

10% of good airsoft footage comes from a camera on the gun, the other 90% comes from someone who isnt playing. strap it to your head and you wont get anything decent.

I know, i did all three methods.

as to the problem of attaching a camera to a gun.

Gaffa-Tape.jpg

Gaffa tape am superiour.

Thanks for the headup Shmook, at the moment Im looking at this type of mount, is it what you were suggesting? its defintely not a fiver. But would probably work quite well being raised and quick release.

thats the exact bugger!

just been through my paypal account too, and i got mixed up, sorry. got another sort of mount for £6:40 shipped (i know, not a fiver either!) and thought it was this.

i actually payed £12:49 for one, delivered...

sorry about that, but there are a few sorts kicking about on ebay for this, and some QD rails for about £8 if that helps :)

hope you get it sorted, i think its a good idea myself

shmook

edit: i forgot tp say, it took a bit of filing to get it to fit to my (CA) rail, but it wasnt much, and its hardly milspec tolerances at that price, or maybe the rail on my M4 is out...

anywho, not a big hassle, but worth noting i think!

I wish I had better pics of it but here is one I did up for a friend:

bond-1.jpg

The scope looking thing is the camera, can get about 45 min on one memory card, here is a test of teh thing in use. It was set to lower detail so its hard to see anything, probably better to get 20 min at high detail instead:

u want to see kills right? where are you going to belooking when u fire. i sincerely hope at the target, or else thats blindfire. get a helmet cam. i tried a gun cam a while ago, and its never aims where u want it, because as has been said, it aims at the floor, sky. also, what if u put ur gun down? its more likely to get damaged. there are ready built skateboarding helmet cams available, that i am looking into...

Archived