Airsoft Cornershot

khan

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty cool project so far. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think I beat you to it! Now, my design is slightly more crude, and I'm sure yours will fire better, but none the less, it took some blood sweat and tears to craft mine. I'd say on a scale of 1 - 10 it's a 9 in difficulty. If you're not VERY experienced, I'd avoiding trying it, but I gave it my best. Here's a picture:

Um.. you posted that ,already.

But we don't go to war, we dress up as soldiers and shoot little pellets at each other. A cornershot is cool but still not fair. We play a game with the intent to have fun. We take the parts of warfare that are considered to be fun and simulate them. When you pull the trigger on an airsoft gun the person in your sights doesn't die, they call themselves out and then respawn. If they died they would not be having much fun. So in other words if you want to have a perfect copy of war, there isn't one, other than going to war. Remember rule number two of airsoft; it's just an expensive, painfully addictive, glorified game (rule number one is obviously, "Take your hits."). But still, well done on the near finished cornershot.

Everyone has highcaps though, many AEGs come with one highcap. Not everyone has a glock and camera cornershot. Personally, I wouldn't mind someone using the cornershot at a field. That's exactly the kind of thing I would bring to a field. Anything to get an edge.

The build looks great so far.

yes but nothing is stopping you from having a cornershot..

Saying something isnt fair based on whether you dont have one too sounds like childish jealousy...

"What she has a lolly pop and I don't! its not fair!"

"What he has a super soaker xp9000 with a backpack water tank, and I don't, I cant even get close to spray him down.. its not fair!"

Seriously this sort of sounds like another situation that I have seen:

When I began airsoft, everyone on the field had m4's, mp5's, and other medium ranged guns. Then someone purchased an m14 and had it slightly upgraded so that it could shoot 70+ feet further than any of the other guns on the field.. Everyone complained because nobody could get close and the field didnt allow people to flank and therefore it was unfair.

I agree that its not war and it is just a game.. but it is a game to simulate war.. otherwise we would be playing paintball.

One of the things that we try to simulate is a wide range of guns with different capabilities. Some short guns, some long guns, some guns with high ROF, some guns with accuracy. This is just another gun with a diffferent capability with a nifty invention to see around corners and shoot around corners. Whatever the gun may be.. every gun has a weakness just like every player has a weakness. Just because you don't have a cornershot as well.. or just because you can't figure out a way to exploit his weakness.. doesnt mean its not fair.. it means you are not strategizing well enough.

And if you say strategizing isnt part of airsoft, then go play some speedball at your local paintball course(oh wait even speedball has strategizing...).. so go draw some stick figures shooting at each other on paper.

Gun exsists in real military applications, it has a lot of weaknesses, if you dont have one build one, if you cant build one, buy one from someone who can build one, if they wont, then come up with a strategy to overcome them(not hard).

If you don't like the fact that there is constant "competition of equipment" in airsoft.. then make your own field, make it perfectly sementrical, buy a bunch of the same gun, test the guns out and make sure they are shooting the same. Oh and limit the BB quality and weight to be the same, just so you don't get someone has a advantage over someone else.

I however am not affraid of a challange, I'm all for fairness.. an item doesnt make a game unfair, because after all.. what is stoping the other team of having the same item. What makes airsoft unfair is match organizers that stack teams, perhaps you should complain about that rather than an item that anyone could make, use, or implement on the field.

Whats unfair is having a 35rps gun with laser beams coming out the end. Whats unfair is having a box magazine filled with 5000 rounds so you won't run out of ammo, ever. Whats unfair is the other guy using his china clone against my expensive Marui. Whats unfair is the other guy using black bbs. Whats unfair is camouflage when all I'm wearing is denim. Whats unfair is that sniper always picking me out at 100m when I can't get close with my MP5K.

If you think its unfair that the other guy doesn't have the exact same stuff as you do, you should try a different game, like tennis, unless you're to complain about how light the other guy's carbon fiber racket is compared to yours which is made out of wood.

Everyone has highcaps though

i dont, and have no intention of using them. and i'm not the only one. not that i think they're unfair, when i go into a game with 70-100 rounds i know the disadvantage i'm at.

i must admit though an airsoft cornershot does seem unfair to me. a device that allows you to be completely unexposed while able to still see where you're shooting doesnt seem sporting to me.

Would you let someone deploy a robotic sentry?

If the person wanted to use this in game, and the optics are good enough to prevent blindfire, then I would let him. One one condition: When his gun is shot he must stop using it for that game. So once per game, he could hold a position using his toy. When the gun is hit, he MUST stop using it for the rest of that particular game. This allows us all to have fun.

As a project, I think it is an awesome idea!

a device that allows you to be completely unexposed while able to still see where you're shooting doesnt seem sporting to me.

Unsporting, perhaps, but that's not what they thought of it back in the first great war.

trenchmount.jpg

Would you let someone deploy a robotic sentry?

As long as the owner doesn't complain about bbs busting up its circuit board. Other than that, I could hire an electronics wiz to make me a short range frequency jammer for the following week. Much simpler (if made on wheels), wait for it at a corner and cover the camera with my shirt.

As much as an advantage shooting across corners sounds, it doesn't put the user into god mode. It's not exactly easy to focus on a small 2"x3"screen while a whole bunch of people want to take you out (the opposition, knowing you're armed with one will likely single you out first). And there are of course tactics that can counter the benefits of a corner shot like flanking, diversion etc. much to the point that the opposition would probably enjoy themselves more not to mention hone their ninja skills unless they're the lazy sort who just hole up and shoot at the general direction everyone else is shooting at.

If the person wanted to use this in game, and the optics are good enough to prevent blindfire

Right here, that is all I'm concerned about. My worry is the optical device used isn't up to par and give the user a video feedback that is not significant enough provide proper situational/safety awareness. I personal rather see physical eyeballs on targets to engage than to rely on a video feed, but that's me. Having gun hits would be awesome too, making it somewhat fair I guess even though that numerous of way to deal with someone with a cornershot.

Is it unfair? Yeah sure. However a firefight between a MP7 and a M249 is also. It is the nature of competition, it will always be unfair as someone will always pick up the bigger better weapon. Rarely does it even becomes a "fair" situation.

i dont, and have no intention of using them. and i'm not the only one. not that i think they're unfair, when i go into a game with 70-100 rounds i know the disadvantage i'm at.

i must admit though an airsoft cornershot does seem unfair to me. a device that allows you to be completely unexposed while able to still see where you're shooting doesnt seem sporting to me.

Your gun came with highcaps, if it's an AEG. Correct? All my AEGs have, but I also chose not to use them. I like midcaps, and I don't complain that some guy has loads of ammo and doesn't need to reload. At least I don't sound like a bag of skittles. There are ups and downs to each decision; as others have said, this doesn't make the user invincible. And why complain if you'll never see this fantastic little project on the field?

Is it unfair? Yeah sure. However a firefight between a MP7 and a M249 is also. It is the nature of competition, it will always be unfair as someone will always pick up the bigger better weapon. Rarely does it even becomes a "fair" situation.

not really. at the end of the day all an M249 has to it's advantage is a larger cylinder and thus potential forhigher FPS. but even then at least the fella with the MP7 can still hit the guy with the '249. there's a difference in 'fairness' between a more powerful gun and a weapon that allows you to be nigh invulnerable.

Your gun came with highcaps, if it's an AEG. Correct? All my AEGs have, but I also chose not to use them. I like midcaps, and I don't complain that some guy has loads of ammo and doesn't need to reload. At least I don't sound like a bag of skittles. There are ups and downs to each decision; as others have said, this doesn't make the user invincible. And why complain if you'll never see this fantastic little project on the field?

no, it came with a midcap :P i dont complain either, thats what i said in my post. at the end of the day, reloading half as much isnt much of an advantage anyway, you're still vulnerable while firing. with a cornershot you're pretty much invulnerable to anything but suicide dashes and grenades.

i'm hardly complaining, more throwing in my 2 cents in with the ongoing debate as to how fair it is. at the end of the day, generally no matter what gun someone has, if they're shooting at you they'll be exposed and thus vulnerable, this removes that weakness.

Good work Khan!!

It's cool to see the progress you've made over the last few months. Keep it up man.

For everyone complaining about the "fairness" of the weapon... I know that if someone was to hand you a Airsoft version of the Cornershot to use in a game you ALL would use it and be giggling behind your corner like little girls while you shot your opponents...LOL.

It seems that everyone is jealous that khan has actually made something innovative that will give him an advantage over the average n00b spraying down hallways with their 300rnd Hi-Caps.

I think arguing over this issue for now is academic at best though, and as we've had the blindfire argument over and over here, I'd ask that we don't stray into it here. Let's just restrict ourselves to the concept as a replica for now, and not arm ourselves with torches and pitchforks until someone starts using this replica in skirmishes. :)

Do people not read threads anymore? Why is anyone even complaining, it's not like they are the ones who will even be going up against this in a game?

I say it looks like a great build so far.

• 4 months later...

Well.now,the weather is gett'n colder,and we have a CQB game coming up,so it's time to get back to work on that Cornershot.

Here is a pic of a Tokyo Marui 18c AEP,that will be the front end of this little monster..

IMG_0713.jpg

This is the plastic cover that must be removed ,to access the motor.Two screws & a pin ,hold it in place.

IMG_0715-1.jpg

Now the motor can be seen.The motor wires are clipped back & longer wires are soldered,into place,that will run back ,to the new trigger assembly ,in the back end of the Corner shot.

I tested the gun ,with a 7.4 volt lipo & it works great.

I will just have to use a timer circuit ,to limit the trigger to one shot per pull.This is no problem ,really as I was gonna use a MOSFET to run the new trigger anyway.

IMG_0716.jpg

Next ,I will start on the lasers & camera ,mounting ,on the front end.

I will post more pics ,soon.

& just a quick response,to some of the debate ,that seems to swirl around this project.I have no intention of being dragged into some protracted firefight,with this thing.I will be using this for recon & to snipe the occasional combatant. I plan to work with my team,with this ,not as a solo.

Also,as far as the saftey aspect of looking through a camera;I will be looking through a camera that,can see in the IR range ,(& yes,there will be an IR illuminator on the front end) as well as visible light,not foggy set of goggles,in dim light.

Some people say, "When they see this thing peeking around a corner they will rush you!"

He is something that might distract them for half a second so you can get the shot. also, calibrate a dot on the camera (or a peice of tape) to show where the BB will hit on the camera!

http://constantcognizance.com/forums/image...s/SHOOP_kit.png

Now, this on a carboard cut out, and the barrel in the middle of the mouth, will surprise people.

Looks great to me. :D

It's not what people build that impresses me. It's the thought that's gone into the design and the quality of construction.

Both look good on this project.

One thing I am wondering about; The real cornershot allows a user to fit a standard Glock into it.

Wouldn't it be slicker to build your cornershot so the G18 AEP can be removed and used as a normal pistol?

I'd suggest you get yourself a brake-cable for a bicycle then use it to create a flexible "trigger bar" between a trigger at the rear of the cornershot and a pin that can pull the trigger of the G18.

As for the whole "unfair" thing, it's no less fair than using grenades or claymores etc.

Where I play there's a guy who carries half a dozen claymores and almost always gets several kills with them every skirmish.

Is that "fair" if the other team has none?

Archived