Your Best Gear Purchases

Clampitt

I know everyone has their favorite thing that they've bought, and sometimes it's an amazing find. So post your top 3 up here so we can all see, something posted could be the new end-all beat-all gear wise. Post your top three, what each is, why you got it, and how it's been. I'll start...

1. Grimlocs: Basically they are a plastic d-ring/carbiner that can attach to MOLLE/PALS or any 1" inch webbing. It opens up and you can just hook whatever you want/need to on it. It's tough with an 80 pound breaking strength. I've got them to attach my Camelbak MULE to the back of my IBA, so whenever I don't need the armor, but want my hydro, I just unhook and go. Also, they hold flex-cuffs, chemlights, and all sorts of other things, and I've found they work great as hydration tube router. So far, they've been great, no breakages even with my Camelbak, full of water and other equipment, hanging from them and me running around.

2. Belleville Boots: Obviously, boots, got them because I needed something to protect my feet while I run around all day long. Belleville boots are the most comfortable I've worn, especially for extended periods. I got these because they seem to be the only company to truly understand the plague of a wide foot. These have been wonderful for me, most companies have a very narrow footprint and even their wides are too narrow for me, so a boot that actually fits my foot is a godsend. I've been using this pair everyday for about 2 years now, and I've gone many many miles in them, to include with over 80 pounds of gear and there is a slight tear at the top of the tongue, which is a non-issue for me. The one real bad wear is the leather is starting to develope a tear from rubbing up against the wrong side of some razor wire. (note, the wrong side is every side)

3. Camelbak MULE: I'll be honest here, I have used this more than any other piece of gear I own excluding my boots. It's a hydration backpack with pockets to hold small/medium items. Has MOLLE/PALS webbing on the lower pocket for attaching pouches and (on the ACU pattern MULE) velcro strips for nametape and branchtape. Nice wide (for the size of the pack) straps with 1 inch webbing, and d-rings. Convenient and removeable abdomen and chest straps to help keep the pack in place. I've carried numerous things in this pack; ICOM, mags and ammo, food, knives, maps, note taking stuff, first aid gear, chemlights, rearview mirror from my motorcycle. Nothing has damaged it at all. It's been great for me, throughout my military endeavors, airsofting, riding my motorcycle or whatever else I've put it though. The only damage ever inflicted on it was that the bite valve and cover were destroyed by a german shepherd puppy when she figured out that she could get water from it.

There's my top three, in no particular order. So let's hear it everyone.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to say mine would be:

1 Knee pads!! they are the beggest life saver ever!!

2 Belleville Boots like Clampitt^ said they are the 'only company to truly understand the plague of a wide foot' haha so true.

3 my molle camelbak holder so I can just keep my water on the back of my vest and not on my hips with canteens I hate that!! and not to mention having the tube just right by my face to drink fast.

dan

1. TT MAV - Why would you ever need anything else? Absolutely stonking base to build on especially when combined with the harness for it. Cheap as well!

2. Merino Wool - From my SmartWool socks, my IceBreaker base layer to my TAD Flux Hoodie it is ace. Wicking when you are sweaty, warm when you are cold and more importantly still warm even when soaking wet.

4. VTAC Sling - Three-point slings tie you in knots, get in the way of controls and clog up on kit. One-point slings mean you have a rifle swinging about unless you tie it down somehow and you will get smacked in the balls. Normal two-point slings don't adjust enough for varying circumstances. Adjustable two-point slings are the future.

1. Eberle Gunslinger. the best backpack for me. much space inside. more space on molle attachements and your can store your gun inside. I'm lovin' it :P

2. HSGI Suspender. man it was a pain without them. Didn't had the time to wear them under my ciras but i will work on that.

3. Kneepads. even if they don't stay on my knees as needed i don't wanne go without them.

1. Crye Gen.1 combat set. Second hand for cheaper than the new price. Best thing ever, period.

2. Oakley boots. Comfortable, rugged, and cool. Top notch.

3. Peltor Comtac II's. Nothing screams "I'm a raging gear queer" like £200 worth of hearing protection to shoot toy guns.

TMV Bravo off of UkTactical, great quality and has enough space and the right form factor to suit my skirmishing needs.

And ESS V12s, best set of full seal eye protection I've used for urban and my ESS ICE 2.4s are barely noticeable when playing woodland.

1 Surefire M951: I was reallly lucky because it was cheap and came with 20 Panasonic CR123A batteries.Also the guy who sold it was a US Army soldier that was destinated in A-Stan so i think that my flashlight has its own history!! XD :D :D Anyway it really light perfect and IR filter works perfectly.

2 Oakley SI Assault Boots: 2nd Gen really comfy boots better than my Altama or Belleville ones and works well in all terrains , so I think it´s a amazing bought.

3 Bijan´s Knee pads: Before them i got Hatch ones and no compare Bijan´s are so comfy and they let you go down or prone really fast they really protect you.No better knee pads for me.

1. Condor Map Admin Pouch: Almost as useful as the trunk monkey admin, except it cost me 13.00 bux!

2. Mostly all of my Condor gear: Made the switch to Condor Outdoor for a few reasons

A. Cost effectivenss

B. My wife being in the military, I understand the frustrations of Military Service people not being able to get equipment they need

C. The Condor colors all match really nicely, and you can build an entire LCS system for a fraction of real steel gear!

D. Iconoclastic rebel, I've never liked doing what the other guys are doing....I'd rather run all Condor, and still look and play the part

3. Super Brain Charger: Me so smart, make airsofter feel stupid! Now if I can just get one that will charge Li Po's.

1. Alfa M77 Norwegian Military Boots (I didnt really buy them, since they are issued to all conscripts in the Norwegian Army, and you can keep em when done, but they are probably the best pair of boots I have ever tried).

2. Tad Stealth Hoodie (Great for anything really)

3. Damascus Nexstar I Gloves (The only pair of gloves I can easily send sms with!)

I need to get some Grimlocs now. As if I wasn't strapped for cash already. GEE THANKS

That being said...

-HSGI Weesatch - Got it for $80 off DrewLarson, excellent build quality and works better for carrying all my gear than anything else I've tried so far.

-PANTAC MOLLE Belt - comfy and versatile.

-Oakley Gatling Six Boots - $25 NEW at the Oakley outlet since I have giant feet. Look great and plenty durable until I can afford SI Assaults.

Grimlocs are under 10 bucks so, that as least I'm not killing your wallet, haha.

LT, I have to agree with you, but replace the black tape with good ol' Army 100mph tape, lifesavers to no end.

I can never find 100MPH tape at the surp stores I go to. Guess I'll just stick with electric and tan duct tape.

1. Alta Knee Pad's, kneeling on BB's is a ######

2. Maxpedition Rolly Poly (Medium), great dump pouch and folds up to nothing if not required. At the last weekender I went to I had 2 of these on my belt at one point, one for mags and one for ball grenades, great stuff.

3. Gloves, any kind really, Mechanix, Aviator's etc etc, protection from general poo at sites :P

Apart from some basic (what I deem) essentials (Eye protection, clothes, boots, hat, AEG/GBB etc), I could quite happily play airsoft with just the 3 items above and have done so a few times :).

1. KP Industries hinged kneepads (required after 13 stitches in my knee after landing on a steel I-beam)

2. 5.11 HRT Tactical boots - most comfortable boots I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot)

3. Garmin Rino 130 - comes in handy finding your squad after respawning at large ops

I've got a few and cant just pick three:

1. Load Carrying Gear/Chest Rigs/ Vests:

A. London Bridge Trading 1961A Chest Rig: When I want to run with just the basics, Mags, Comms and other necessities I choose this rig. Its super comfortable, low profile and built with the best materials and quality known to man.

B. Eagle Ind. CIRAS Land in MJK: When I want to carry everything plus the kitchen sink I choose the CIRAS Land. I can carry 12 midcaps, two large utility pouches, my MAP and everything else I could ever need on the field.

C. Eagle Ind. Rhodesian Recon Vest w/ Rear Plate Carrier: I choose the RRV setup when I need a little more space but still want a somewhat light loadout. I carry 8 mags, Comms, Utility pouch and others. Mobility is great and its an all around utilitarian rig.

2. Footwear:

A. Belleville 390 and 790 Desert Combat Boots: The 390's are a light, arid boot. Not waterproof, however are very comfortable and allow addaquate ventilation in hot climates. The 790 are a heavy weight insulated boot. Waterproof, comfortable and rugged. I wear these in wet or cold weather conditions. I was issued both of these boots.

B. Merrell Sawtooths: A rugged hiking boot, great support and extremely comfortable. I love them to death...

C. Converse Desert Assault Boots: I bought these a few years ago prior to a deployment. The are light, comfortable and feel like a pair of sneakers. They took a while to break in, but now they fit like a glove. When I know Im gonna be road marching or on my feet for a long period I choose these boots. A great investment and they have lasted alot longer than I thought.

3. Protective Equipment:

A. Arc'Teryx Knee Caps: The most comfortable, low profile knee pads I've seen. I have used Bijans, Alta's, Hatch, Blackhawk's, you name it throughout the years and hands down, these are the best knee pads I have used. Low profile, light and offer a great amount of protection not only to the knee cap but also the upper shin area. The "military" model is hard to come by and not cheap but they are well worth the money.

B. ESS Profile Turbo Fans Goggles: Not much explaining to do here. Their great goggles with a built in ventilation system. Couple that with Thermal lenses and you never have a fog issue, even in very humid conditions.

C: Oakley Assault Gloves and Blackhawk SOLAG Assault Gloves: The Oakley gloves are very comfortable, offer Kevlar and carbon fiber knuckle support as well as good ventilation for warmer climates. Dexterity is also better than most gloves I have tried. The Blackhawk SOLAG's are very well fitting, comfortable and offer alot of dexterity. They offer Kevlar reenforcement and are mostly very durable leather with some tough fabric areas.

Archived