Pictures of yourself in the field/posing

The reason no one understands your argument is because it is unclear.

You disagree with airsofting?

or you disagree with people in camo?

OR you disagree with peopl replicating actual fighting units? That, imo, is a valid argument.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your point fine. You think that creating themed loadouts is wrong, because we are in some way causing disrespect.

You also believe that this desire to create themed and realistic loadouts leads to airsoft getting bad press.

That's fine, you're entitled to those views. I disagree, as I think would most users, especially those who serve or have served in the varying armed forces.

I can, in some respects, understand the viewpoint that wearing unit patches/rank you haven't earned (SAS, SEaLs etc) could be seen as disrespectful of those who've gone through what it takes to earn it for real.

Again, I disagree, becasue at the end of the day, airsoft is really about simulating battle, and that includes the loadouts. So long as you're not claiming you earned it for real when asked, I see no issue with it.

Edited by Ghost_Rider

jeez guys, what the flip is wrong with you all?

Reejoc: you have a valid point, and its one which I and a number of others have raised elsewhere on the boards: so long as airsoft remains dominated by a certain "delta-boy" mentality, its always going to be seen as a rather dangerous hobby by people who don't share our penchant for military gear.

However, your argument is, as Ghost rider says, a bit too authoritarian. My major problem with airsoft is that the delta boy mentality can lead to people who turn up dressed in their regular clothes, perhaps with a few pouches for mags, get rapidly treated as somehow "inferior". There is less of that in the UK than the States in my experience, but its always going to be prevalent unless attitudes change. unfortunately, the way you're couching your comments, it sounds like you're doing the same as the delta boys, but from the other end of the spectrum.

Ghost rider: you too have a valid point, but your reaction to reejoc needs to be a little less hostile- debate with him, don't start a slanging match because you ain't seeing eye to eye. you're both behaving just as badly as each other, so calm the hell down, please.

I personally want to see a day where anyone can turn up for a skirmish, dressed how they damn well like, and have no-one raise an eyebrow or pass a comment, unless its in complement. But this applies as much to the milsim guys as it does the chap in the furry panda outfit.

This currently isn't the case- we have a lot of the delta boy mentality ruling the sport, that presents it almost with a form of cult-like hero worship towards military units and militarism in general- its why I normally go out of my way to avoid any form of unit or even national affiliation, and I normally go to lengths to make myself look as "timeless" as possible. This is my personal protest against the delta boys though- I'm trying to prove I can look the part without having to do milsim.

There is, however, little WRONG with milsim per se. As said, its the attitude that comes with it (or the anti-milsim attitude, conversely) that causes elitism and segregation.

Extremism will always be a problem in any human undertaking, and I consider it to be a problem in airsoft too- the delta boy extremism is off-putting for many who just want to turn up and be john woo for the day, and the reverse "anti-delta" mentality is ust as off-putting for those who see the benefits of wearing and using real military equipment.

Main problem is, as always, people taking the minutiae too seriously, rather than the bigger picture-

for me, the only things in airsoft to take seriously are the rules regarding safety of yourself and others.

Everything else is just a bit of fun.

So how's about we all calm down, have a cup of tea, and get back to chatting about the guys in gimp gear :)

Calm? I was calm. I wasn't the one that resorted to personal insults.

Edit: Fair point, I called him a closed minded bigot. My apologies, calling reinactors geeks and weirdos annoyed me.

I'm sorry, but I am in complete agreement with C_H in that I don't give a flying fruitcage what you wear to a skirmish so long as you play well, take your hits, and have fun.

What you wear is irrelevent, and down to personal preference. What annoys me is people like reejoc who try and subscribe some kind of sinister motive to dressing like a member of a real steel unit, other than we like the way it looks. We don't do it to cause disrespect, if anything anyone I know who picks on a unit to emulate does so out of the utmost respect; because that unit is 'cool'.

Sorry for trying to defend that. :rolleyes:

Right, pictures.....*beep*, they're on the laptop.

Will post when I get home.

Edited by Ghost_Rider
So why adopt real costumes? Why not simply wear what is best for the job?

Because I want to. I have the money (sort of ;)) to do it, I think it looks good, and it works well for me.

If you don't like it, then I don't care - you're hardly going to change my mind.

If a member of AFSOC came up to me and said "You're the one dressing as AFSOC right? Well, I don't like it - I find it disrespectful." then maybe I'd pay heed.

Edited by HaVoC_MaN
So why adopt real costumes? Why not simply wear what is best for the job?

what is best for the job? well.. isnt that real stuff in some cases?

ie. camo, pouches, radios, etc

The reason no one understands your argument is because it is unclear.

You disagree with airsofting?

or you disagree with people in camo?

OR you disagree with people replicating actual fighting units? That, imo, is a valid argument.

yep, nicely put.

its just gear - no one is trying to pull a fast one over anyone.

its just gear, for airsoft.

i dont want to wear a SAAV, i want to wear a FLC. great, now i'm being disrespectful to who exactly?

Edited by oikoik
Calm? I was calm. I wasn't the one that resorted to personal insults.

I'm tired of this argument now, but I'm not letting that go. I was discussing this rationally, then you came along with the personal insults:

Frankly sir, I believe the only thing that would give our hobby a bad name is close minded bigots like yourself. I mean, at least FCUKairsoft had the decency to be agressive about it, instead of snide comments in an unrelated thread.

So don't rewrite history.

Now, back to pictures, with or without unit affiliation! :unsure:

orev003resized.jpg

Me at the very start of my airsofting career, with just my glock 23f and my g36.

Seems such a long time ago now.

Reejoc, please see my post a few back for an apology. At the end of the day, it's not worth getting narky about.

Edited by Ghost_Rider

I don't like bitching but can some people please read the front page of this thread - stuff like that should be posted in the gear thread me thinks :)

a side from my obsessive compulsive disorder :P nice kit!!

Sorry, i know, back to gimps, but...

I personally want to see a day where anyone can turn up for a skirmish, dressed how they damn well like, and have no-one raise an eyebrow or pass a comment, unless its in complement. But this applies as much to the milsim guys as it does the chap in the furry panda outfit.

I personally want to see the day that someone can walk out in the street, and wear whatever the hell they want without attracting snide comments. That'll be the day...