Ok, just recently (like last week), I noticed that the webpage here automatically refreshes itself every 30 seconds. Has anyone else notice this or do I get some kind of worm on my computer?

It's normally fine, but sometimes it gets in the way of my scrolling and clicking. :P Is Arnie working hard behind the scenes to add more and more bells and whisles to the site?

i say arnies is trying to look at our faces whilst on his site...

how does he do it? his programming allowed him to reverse the function of the monitor... now (average screen size) he'll look at you from a 15inch webcam :D

look arnie... im blowing you a kiss :D

I've noticed that the tabs I have open in Firefox seem to auto-refresh every so often as well, although I haven't timed it.

Personally it gets right on my nerves as it slows Firefox right down to a crawl whilst it tries to refresh about 20 tabs simultaneously (I like to open threads from the "get new posts" page in separate tabs and then read through them all afterwards)

I daresay it probably isn't doing much good for the bandwidth usage of the site either ;)

It's definitely the entire page that is refreshing. When I'm downloading something large that is saturating my Internet connection, I can watch Firefox slowly redraw the page as it downloads it in chunks on the refresh.

Yea, it barely bothers me since I'm on broadband, but I can imagine it's more of a hassle for someone on modem connection.

I timed it (on Firefox 1), exactly 30 seconds. I've only noticed it on Arnies. Says on mine, "transferring data from akmeter.akmos.ru"? But since the page is cached, it doesn't seem to actually affect the page, only the tab icon and the status bar.

Aha, solved it! :)

It's updating the currency converter! Look at akmos.ru, it has an exchange rate thing called Forex, which is the name of the thing on the bottom left of the page here. It blinks every thirty seconds to update the exchange rate.

Edited by elrey

I don't know why the entire page refreshes then, unless there is a bug of some sort in Firefox which makes it redraw the entire page when the contents of an iframe changes.

I don't think it downloads the whole lot again, but I'm pretty sure it does actually redraw the whole lot.

Yeah, the currency converter regularly refreshes itself, but that only affects it's own little window. The rest of the page remains as it was the last time I manually refreshed it. The Server Time at the bottom right of each page doesn't automatically refresh either.

I like it this way :)