Dboys SCAR L

Okay, yeah, I know…. I’m really late on this one, but it’s finally here. I got around to reviewing the Dboys SCAR-L.

I’ve been dying to get this gun for sometime now. Let me say that if you love an M4 in your hands, you’ll love this. Sure it’s not 100% authentic, but it’s still nice. For the money you can’t beat it. It’s got a stronger body than the STAR, better internals than the VFC, and higher fps than all of it’s competitors, and is only about $150! The accuracy is nothing to write home about, and there is the issue of the plastic bushings and poor shim job, but you’re buying a $150 AEG. I do these reviews so that you can find out what to expect when buying an AEG, and decide if you’re willing to work out the inherent problems or if it’s a better deal for you to get a “higher quality” AEG. iven the cost, this isn’t a bad AEG to be someone’s first project gun. While there’s not too much to do externally on it, it’s not terribly hard to work on the internals (given the v2 gearbox), and if you screw something up, v2 parts are cheap. Sure, to make this thing more reliable you need to replace the bushings, reshim, replace the hop rubber, and the piston head o-ring, as well as wipe out the excessive lube; but that’s all pretty cheap and once you’ve done that you’re pulling ahead of the competition.

So if you want to know exactally what I think of this AEG and read the full review, check the link below.

Links:

Dboys SCAR-L Review

How exactly are the internals better than the VFC offering?

Sorry typo. I'll get to fixing that today. I meant to say the internals of the Dboys are a better value than the VFC. I've never really been amazed by the VFC internals. Sure put in some decent gears, but if I'm not mistaken, they use plastic bushings on top of that, and have a lower fps. It's like a mix of CA and Clone bits. I don't get it.

Have you opened a VFC SCAR with the Systema clone cylinder?

Are you saying that the VFC SCAR uses a Clone of the Systema PTW cylinders? If so that's news to me. I had a guy send me pics of the internals of a VFC SCAR so I can make a comparison based on his information and pictures... if he filled me full of poo I'll have to have words with him. Unfortunately I don't have anyone local with a VFC that I can tear apart for myself (or a retailer willing to loan me one to tear apart).

Never mind, I remembered it wrong. The guy who'se SCAR I saw had an actual Systema cylinder in it, maybe he upgraded the bushings to metal at the same time too. My bad. :)

I thought I was right, but you threw me for a loop with that odd suggestion. :D

Great review infected. A couple questions, did you have any difficulty aligning the gearbox with the lower receiver, specifically the selector switch? I heard that was a bit challenging but just hear say. Also, thats pretty interesting that DBoys might have addressed the piston engagement with a longer cylinder head, did you ever get a chance to look closer into that? But to bad it sounds like the cylinder head seals like azz anyways...

I did put a G&P high speed motor into mine and that really helped the ROF. Have you had a chance to test the ROF with this motor yet?

Great review infected. A couple questions, did you have any difficulty aligning the gearbox with the lower receiver, specifically the selector switch? I heard that was a bit challenging but just hear say. Also, thats pretty interesting that DBoys might have addressed the piston engagement with a longer cylinder head, did you ever get a chance to look closer into that? But to bad it sounds like the cylinder head seals like azz anyways...

I did put a G&P high speed motor into mine and that really helped the ROF. Have you had a chance to test the ROF with this motor yet?

did I not include the ROF measurements in the review? Nuts. I clocked it stock at 12.5 RPS on a 8.4v stock battery. The stock motor is garbage as when you try it with a 7.4v lipoly the ROF doesn't increase one bit.

I will be looking back into the angle of engagement in the next week or so (as I'm building up that gun). I'll fill in details as I can.

As for the removal of the gearbox from the receiver... It's not that hard if you follow directions. The dboys have literally copied the directions from CA (as the gearbox drawn in the diagrams say "Classic Army" on them). The instructions are a bit hard to follow, but not too bad.

The cylinder head seals fine, it's the piston head o-ring that stinks. Once changed, compression problems dissapear.