BAGeL Build (Bolt Action Grenade Launcher)

dobey

I started designing the gun this morning while waiting for material to show up so I can finish up a few other projects. It looked like this:

bagel.jpg

Then I ate that and moved on to the real thing. It will not be based on anything in the real world but will be my own personal design with some real world influence (like a MK19 inspired flash hider). I am thinking a magazine fed Bolt action with 4 round capacity. It is still in progress and is subject to change at my whim but here is a rough draft so to speak of the barrel and receiver:

Concept-side.jpg

I plan to run the Madbull 108 round CO2 grenades in this. This shot also has a standard gold madbull grenade for scale:

concept-iso.jpg

I am comfortable enough with the design to start ordering material, yes it will have a stock and some type of heat shield, they are still up in the air. I may go with an M16/M4 style grip mount and stock mount because it is so versatile and then it can accept a wide range of grips and stocks. Not sure if I will use metal or wood up front for the heat shield and front grip area yet, let me know what you think in these areas.

The business end:

Concept-front.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will have a spring loaded firing pin similar to a real Bolt gun. This is not intended to mount to a gun, but a stand alone weapon. The barrel is around 12 inches long after the shell tip and I need a bit of room for the heat shield/fore grip so I will not make it any shorter.

I love bagels you had me distracted with the idea of bagels being fired at me already with cream cheez on them. But seriously cool project you may want to consider a lever instead of a firing pin. The firing pin will only create more ware on the grenades. Also, you may want to consider a nice shot shell catcher. On a creative note you may want to consider using a different mechanical system then a bolt action. You will have vary little recoil so you should use this to your advantage.

i think some kind of detachable metal chute style shell catcher with a four round capacity would be the best idea. just a bit at the front and back to hold the shells in place with a drop out base plate to quickly eject all 4 spent shells into a dump pouch. (if you dont get what i mean i can knock up a quick MS paint job)

i figure this would be the best option as it's more solid than a bag, will keep the shells in place better (less clattering about and possibility of getting damaged)

if you could rig up a load of AEG barrels (not necessarily a tightbore, as you'll want a good spread) for the grenade to fire through i think this kind of project would make a great fictional 40mm anti-material rifle. stock wise i think something like the smokeys VSR stock would suit it:http://www.lycoseshop.fr/epages/airsoft-paradize_com.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/airsoft-paradize.com/Products/STOCK-SMOKEY-SYSTEM-VSR10

I follow exactly what you are saying and think it is the best idea I have read all day (the shell catching tray). Not only is it an elegant solution to keeping the shells undamaged in a rapid firing scenario but it will look awesome as well as being very functional.

The firing pin will only create more ware on the grenades.

Rubber padding on the striker.

I'm liking the functional design already, but will you pattern the rest of it in a cyberpunk or believable manner? You could also forget the extended barrel rig. Those were meant for single hand-loaded shells because you need to align them against the barrels to work.

i think some kind of vaguely cyberpunk/futuristic design would be best. not OTT, but definitely a bit unique and near future sci-fi looking.

as for the barrel idea, wouldnt it be possible to shave down the sides of the shell slightly to make them flat, that way they could always sit straight in the mag. you could also possibly slightly countersink the holes on the shell so that if they arent already perfectly aligned the shell can twist into place. if you get what i mean... man i really suck at describing my ideas :D

i just thought the barrel rig would be a good idea as it would allow for an increase in range, accuracy and power which would actually give what will inevitably be a large, heavy and fairly impractical weapon some sort of advantage over any old M203.

I did some testing with different barrel lengths and found 18 to 20 inches was ideal. Using a Gold Madbull Grenade held in my hand and firing at a person from around 30 feet produced around 15 hits. After loading it in the pipe and repeating we counted 47 hits. After about 18 inches it didn't seem to make the pattern any tighter but up to that point it was significantly better than the short or no barrel at all.

I want to take a minute to talk about the guys at Evike.com. Again they have gone way out of there way to be very helpful, taking allot of there time via PM's to work with me in getting just the right grenades for this project, and they are graciously donating the parts I will need, thanks so much you guys!

Or a drum mag thats fully self contained so you don't need to worry about ejecting shells as they're just fed back into the drum, kinda like those rotary launchers. That way, you could always line up the shells manually before hand when loading the drum for the extended inner barrel rig and have spare drums.

Interesting project, here is some of my ideas:

1. Make it a straight pull action instead of bolt action for faster reloading

2. Make it a bullpup to increase barrel length and for looks. IIRC, real steel M203 users had issues with the accuracy of the short barrel version

3. Have the action and barrel ride and slide on a mock recoil reduction mechanism to reduce recoil

4. Have the straight pull action cocking handle on the left or both sides for faster reloading

5. Add bipod and a fictional range finding reflex sight. I've always had the idea that a shooter pushes a button, the laser ranger finder calculates the range, and uses an LCD reticule to adjust for drop. If the battery dies, it would have a standard etched reticule. After that, it would be a very effective long range grenade launcher.

6. Have some way to be able to fire long rounds that wont fit in a magazine, such as a alternative M79 style break action for batton/ rocket rounds

7. Add locking lugs to the bolt for realism

Here are a couple of my thoughts..

How about a big magazine ,that would hold 3,or 4 shells,that would be real cyber style.

Perhaps ,a loading tube under the barrel,like a magnum uber shotty. Might even want to experiment with a pump action,

or even a lever action.How nuts ,would that be!

Course,then you'd have a PAgel or a Lagel.

Cool concept!

OK, I am in no way attacking you Desert, I'm just stating my opinions.

1. Make it a straight pull action instead of bolt action for faster reloading. I'm not sure how realilistic that would be, I do know that therer is some straight pull bolt-actions out there, I'm not entirely sure how they work though.

2. Make it a bullpup to increase barrel length and for looks. IIRC, real steel M203 users had issues with the accuracy of the short barrel version. I think that a Bullpup bolt-action would be a little ackward to use, but I've never tried one, so I can't say forsure.

3. Have the action and barrel ride and slide on a mock recoil reduction mechanism to reduce recoil. I'm not sure how this would work, but it sounds cool. :P

4. Have the straight pull action cocking handle on the left or both sides for faster reloading. I think it would look better on the right, but as I said, this is all my opinion.

5. Add bipod and a fictional range finding reflex sight. I've always had the idea that a shooter pushes a button, the laser ranger finder calculates the range, and uses an LCD reticule to adjust for drop. If the battery dies, it would have a standard etched reticule. After that, it would be a very effective long range grenade launcher. This also sounds good.

6. Have some way to be able to fire long rounds that wont fit in a magazine, such as a alternative M79 style break action for batton/ rocket rounds. Good idea, it would also allow you to load one in a hurry.

7. Add locking lugs to the bolt for realism. How would this work with the straight pull? Just wondering.

As I said, this is all opinion.

-Stormy

^No offense taken, glad to have someone critique/ improve upon my ideas :)

examples of straight pull rifles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr-Mannlicher_M1895

http://biathlonschool.com/blog/wp-content/...0875_edited.JPG

Instead of relying on the user to rotate and pull the bolt to reload the rifle, the straight pull design automatically rotates and unlocks the bolt with one straight pull, eliminating the movement and time consumption that traditional bolt actions have, hence why they are popular on biathalon .22 rifles.

Still confused? Think of a M16/M14 with the gas system disabled. The user will then have to pull the bolt manually to unlock and reload. Pretty much the same thing.

As for the cocking handle, I would place it forward of the handgrip, like where MP5s, Magpul ACR/ Massada *late model* have theirs for easier access. Also, have it eject rounds downward at around 5 o clock position to avoid hitting the face of a left handed user and to clear the mag

As for the recoil reduction mech, watch this :)

Cheers,

-Romel

A rotary bolt would work with a straight pull action, but would screw up the whole aligning with the inner barrels part, should there be any.

I'm also not too keen on the recoil reduction mech and the bullpup part. On the recoil, real 40mms hardly have any so the design would be more aesthetic than functional. Bullpup is fine for maximizing your barrel, but on a bolty that has a huge magazine at the back? It would be plenty awkward.

Been working out the lower receiver/magwell area. The magazine will be pretty easy although it ended up being over 7 inches long to hold 4 rounds :blink:

Here is the concept, still needs refining around the grip and stock area but you will get the idea. I am still leaning towards standard M4 mounting points for the grip and stock so I have the most options in these areas. Still uncertain on the heat shield area as well, but I hope to have that stuff finalized this afternoon so I can get the metal ordered up.

concept-mag.jpg

render1.jpg

render2.jpg

heres a shoddy MS paint of my idea.

shellcatcher.jpg

it could also be done as a sealed unit, but i think it would look cooler as guides at either end, showing the spent shells.

the bullpup idea wouldnt be too bad, barrett pulled it off with the M95. only problem would be it would mean the shell catcher would be jammed up in your face/arm.

regarding RC's drum/cylinder idea, screw the ordinary mags make a 40mm antimaterial version of THIS.

you could use 4 round cylinder mags (just 4 tubes with the shells in a square configuration, this should keep the size and shape more convenient for pouches etc. you could make the walls of the tubes slightly squared as well as the sides of the shell, this would eliminate the need for hand aligning and minimize the risk of misalignment.i'd go for a straight pull design to rotate the cylinder and cock the hammer/firing pin.

the only thing i can see being a major problem is how the barrels would mesh with the shells, since the shells would be static. unless the whole inner barrel assembly moved as well. e.g. have the straight pull action cycle forwards first to remove the barrels from the shell, and the backwards stoke to rotate the cylinder and cock the hammer.

seriously, if you build a heavy helghast sniper rifle you will be a GOD!

edit: would a fixed hop work on the barrel assembly? i think it might work if you had a short piece of barrel to mesh with the shell , which then led on to the hop fixed for whatever BB weight you want to use, and then onto the main barrel.

thoughts?

Archived