BAGeL Build (Bolt Action Grenade Launcher)

dobey

I have an adjustable stock pad from the CheyTac's M24 stock left over, I think I will use that with a steel bar style stock. I will probably go with an M4 grip as well. In this screen the stock is correct but the grip and trigger area are incomplete. Once I sort those two out, and get the heat shield/fore grip to my liking this build can get started.

Stock-concept.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this idea, It's really of no use here, but I think it's cool non-the-less.

My idea is that the barrel is a tube, you have a piece cut out of it big enough that you could load a shell in from.

Then, with the mag in, and the barrel back (So that the cutout is above the mag) you would push the barrel forward, fire, then rotate it 90 degres, pull it back all the way, and the shell pops out. Then you rotate it back to the normal setting and the next shell is loaded in.

This would make a awsome semi-auto, the barrel going back and forth like that would be really cool. Though I dought you could get it working semi-auto.

Now, as I said, it looks like you have this all figured out already, I'm just throwing out a idea.

-Stormy

While this is a great idea, in terms of airsoft this actually cripples the effectiveness of the 40mm grenade. They act like a shotgun blast, correct? This would reduce the spread and result in all the BBs going in the same general direction. Little can be done to curtail or modify that fact. In real life this would rock! Tossing your p-apple more effectively is brilliant! I hope you can git-r-dun though. Sounds like a neat project.

TO CLARIFY: Other than that I love this a lot! Are you mounting a rail up top for optics? That would be so sweet! Gren with an optic. >:D

While this is a great idea, in terms of airsoft this actually cripples the effectiveness of the 40mm grenade. They act like a shotgun blast, correct? This would reduce the spread and result in all the BBs going in the same general direction. Little can be done to curtail or modify that fact. In real life this would rock! Tossing your p-apple more effectively is brilliant! I hope you can git-r-dun though. Sounds like a neat project.

he wouldnt have to use tightbores, fairly loose AEG barrels would do the trick. the barrels would serve more as a way of increasing range beyond that of any old M203.

as im a bit of an ak/ classic rifle fan, i would like to see this with a wood stock, below ive shown a very rushed drawing in paint of it, the grey r the features u have done, the brown is wood, orange where the wood hides your metal, black is my metal addition.

ive shown it with flip up iron sights, also i have positioned a second "mag" beside the original, the shells are passed into this second magesine as they are edjected....

the stock looks very similar to a dragunov (my ak influence lol!).

i suppose most people would be intrested in somthing new, but when i buy a gun, i buy a gun, not a plastic toy... (hehe m4's...)

Edit; helps if i actually attach the picture......

post-52368-1225455562_thumb.jpg

Yeah, but I wonder how long would be good? I'm really not sure how much pressure on of the barrels from the grenade puts out, but you would have to be careful that you wouldn't have too long of a barrel.

-Stormy

IIRC dobey said he worked out the optimum length on the previous page.

Note: dobey I know you have tried firing a m203 before and know their performance

Have you thought of machining a little "cam" style area to the front of your shells so they "semi" line up with some spring loaded internal barrels with hopup? There was an old system ment for the m79 here: http://www.wgcshop.com/WGC_Shop/images/mm_pt_m79fseibs.jpg

You'd be limited to one type of shell however with hop and extended barrels you could push your engagement distances way out there =)

Looks absolutely awesome!!!

I agree with (d'oh! I can't remember whose idea this was, but you know who you are!) whoever said to make the shell catcher hooked to the ejection port. That would look absolutely badass if it was just the little rims on the sides, as you could see the grenades you've fired.

Or you could make a plexiglass "window" for the shell catcher and/or magazine so you know how many you've fired.

I also say you should make a small plexiglass window on the bottom of the launcher so you can check and see if you have a round chambered. Or at least have some way to tell when you have a round chambered.

As I said, it looks absolutely awesome!

From looking at your CAD drawings, seems to me that your a little limited in terms of mounting area for a stock. Just thinking, is it neccesary for the bolt to be the same diameter as the shells? If it was narrower, then perhaps you could mount a buffer tube on the back of the receiver so you have plenty of options?

Just an idea, a slot could be cut into the bolt, to make it look and function similar to that of an M4 bolt carrier, then you could use an M4 stlye hammer to fire the shells also?

I started on the receiver this morning, here is the raw piece of material (as always this is all 6061 T6 aluminum).

receiver-001.jpg

I have been using the engine lathe exclusively for this build so far because all the pieces are just massive, here is the receiver with its 5.5 degree taper on it:

receiver-002.jpg

And the business end of things:

receiver-003.jpg

I agree with (d'oh! I can't remember whose idea this was, but you know who you are!) whoever said to make the shell catcher hooked to the ejection port. That would look absolutely badass if it was just the little rims on the sides, as you could see the grenades you've fired.

That would be awesome, have two "rails" that just grab the front and back of the shell as they stack up

• 2 weeks later...

Archived