GBB Shootout: Cold Weather

Good testing :)

It confirms my observation that even at 16-18*C a TM SIG P226 couldn't finish off a magazine of BBs on propane anyways. I sold mine to get a KSC P226.

I also knew that WA's systems work in the cold. I kept a WA M92FS mag in my freezer (-15*C) for testing on green gas, and it fired 10 rounds. However the WA M92FS has trouble finishing a magazine at 18*C on green gas.

Would be interesting to see how well the WA M4 works in the cold.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it any different to the Detonics?

I think the Detonics piston is D shaped, isn't it? But I assumed that was just to save space...

Cheers.

I'm not sure. I've never taken my Detonics down further than basic field stripping, for fear of somehow breaking the magic spell the gun seems to be blessed with. :P But seriously, they should be the same, I'm not sure what's up with the MEU.

Yeah it's pretty great eh?

Well if you don't like the size, then the Detonics is not for you. Personally I like compact guns a lot, they don't get in the way when crawling around in the muck. :D

I'm not sure. I've never taken my Detonics down further than basic field stripping, for fear of somehow breaking the magic spell the gun seems to be blessed with. :P But seriously, they should be the same, I'm not sure what's up with the MEU.

The Detonics does indeed use a D shaped nozzle piston and its bbu is differently shaped as well to accommodate for the fact that a good portion of the back part (where the rear sight of regular 1911's go) is missing. Why it might be performing better than the MEU slide in the cold could be that it has less mass therefore requiring less force and less gas to throw around.

And about the Detonics size, Freedom Art sort of fixed it by adding a full profile compensator and then slapping it on a Hi-Capa frame. The second link shows an even longer version.

DTS1.jpg

http://gun-freedom-art.com/hi45custum/dts.html

http://gun-freedom-art.com/hi45custum/dta.html

They're freakishly expensive though, so it would be best to try and just emulate the look through other means.

Edited by renegadecow

You could invest in the Hadron collider or something in hopes of one day modifying the physical properties of gas in cold weather.

Your other options are:

buy an EBB

Don't use a GBB in cold weather

holster it under your armpit or Groind (pretty big encumberance for a side arm IMO.)

• 4 months later...

does the meu above have a metal kit? for those who do have a tm meu with metal kit how does it perform when quick firing in cold weather? btw i would just like to know how it performs with 7 or 8 rounds in the mag, not the max capacity.

brendan

As I was quite interested in these test, I'll test the following pistols when it's around 5°C ( realistic, I think )

- GBB TM P226 with Shooters Design POM Cylinder and valve knocker ( mine broke ) and a PDI Winter Piston head ( which I hoped would make the GBB winter resistant )

- GBB TM 5-7 stock

- GBB KSC USP Match / System 7 stock ( my mate's )

- NBB TM MK23 with upgrades ( no Idea which ones yet, it's also my mate's )

- NBB Wingun Sport 7 / ASG Daniel Wesson 4" C02 revolver - 6 shells, each containing one BB

Wish-list ( will be hopefully added later )

- GBB TM MEU

- GBB TM Detonics

- GBB KSC Glock 17 or 34

- GBB KSC P2022

- GBB KSC USP, perhaps Tactical

They will be tested with Begadi Green gas and Cybergun APS3 Winter gas for velocity, reliability and ability to shoot at least one mag empty. A burst of fast shooting will be 5 BBs long

( don't think you ever need more )

The mags will lay outside, on a table for an hour prior to the start of the test.

I hope to bring even more pistols to the test, asking my club.

Any suggestions?

Please, keep posting test results, as the winter is nearly here.

• 3 weeks later...

It was around 10°C last week ( sunday ).

The 5-7 held up beautifully as expected.

The P226 failed miserably: the slide did not go back all the way, resulting in not feeling properly. Not one BB managed to be shot.

The gas was Abbeys Predator Ultra gas.

I'm not even trying any more. It has to go.

Nice GBB for summertime, and that's it.

I'll sell it, if anyone is interested.

Could I add one to the list?

KWA MP7

0°C, snowing (around ~30°F)

Fired more than 80 rounds through it, no issues at all. Blowback felt weaker than usual but fired all rounds at acceptable distances.

The MP7 probably holds up a lot better than other GBB pistols since the bolt isn't as heavy as most slides. Still the gun is more than winter worthy.

Bless you KWA :D

WA 6" magna system

150% SD spring set

SD metal slide

Lowest I've gone 40 degrees Fahrenheit, shooting at 365 fps high, low was about 340 fps (normally I'm able to put out 380fps with it) all rounds through with no problem. As aznpridetide859 stated, blowback did feel weaker.

Edited by hentaro

FYI, the KJW 226 doesn't perform quite well in the cold either.

I used my WA M1911 SCW3 once as my primary in full snow. Could top of 10-15 BBs max, but shot noticably less far and with weaker blowback. The only other GBB that day that worked was a KWA Glock if I remember correctly.

FYI, the KJW 226 doesn't perform quite well in the cold either.

I used my WA M1911 SCW3 once as my primary in full snow. Could top of 10-15 BBs max, but shot noticably less far and with weaker blowback. The only other GBB that day that worked was a KWA Glock if I remember correctly.

I Have to Disagree, I just Ran a Test Today.

I Had a KJW P226 With Stock Magazine and Parts. Fired All 24 BB's and Slide Locked Back

I Have My Custom TM P226 Running Stock(With Creation MBK) and a Nineball Spring Guide and Higher Recoil Spring, Fired 10 out of 24 BB"s Then Gas VENTED EXPOSIVLY.

I Put the KJW Spring on the Nineball Spring Guide in the TM and Used the KJW Magazine in the TM and Fired All of the 24 BB's and Slide Locked Back.

• 2 weeks later...

my TM detonics worked almost flawlessly on sunday in 0'c temps. i carried it all day in a leather holster without needing to use it, so at the end of the day i fired off both mags as a quick cold weather suitability test.

the mag carried in the pistol fired 17 out of 18 and the spare mag (carried in a leather pouch) fired all 18 and locked the slide back quite convincingly. the ambient temperature was around freezing point all day and the gbb and spare mag were both kept on the outside of my kit (not in a pocket etc)

this was with greengas and excel .25 bb's

I Have to Disagree, I just Ran a Test Today.

I Had a KJW P226 With Stock Magazine and Parts. Fired All 24 BB's and Slide Locked Back

I Have My Custom TM P226 Running Stock(With Creation MBK) and a Nineball Spring Guide and Higher Recoil Spring, Fired 10 out of 24 BB"s Then Gas VENTED EXPOSIVLY.

I Put the KJW Spring on the Nineball Spring Guide in the TM and Used the KJW Magazine in the TM and Fired All of the 24 BB's and Slide Locked Back.

Can vouch for that, my stock KJW P226 works fine with cold weather, only time it vented gas "explosively" was with temperatures close to 0º ( all the water puddles were frozen ) by the 4th or 5th.

Tomorrow i'll do some tests with my SOCOMgear M.E.U ( hopup teflon mod + JBU TB 6.01mm ), i would do with my KJW but my only mag went to mag heaven :D

Replica: SOCOMgear M.E.U

Aftermarket Parts: Teflon Mod, JBU 6.01mm TB

Gas: Coleman Propane, No Silicone Added

BB's: Blaster Devil 0.20g

Condition: 12,8 ºC

Tested: ~10s beetween shots

1. 319 FPS
  2. 318 FPS
  3. 310 FPS
  4. 304 FPS
  5. 282 FPS
  6. 290 FPS
  7. 295 FPS
  8. 305 FPS
  9. 305 FPS
  10. 297 FPS
MAX: 319 FPS ; AVG: 303 ; MIN: 282 FPS

Condition: ~9/10º ºC

Tested: ~10s beetween shots, 45 mins at ambient temp. to stabilize

1. 280 FPS
  2. 280 FPS
  3. 283 FPS
  4. 277 FPS
  5. 273 FPS
  6. 274 FPS
  7. 271 FPS
  8. 275 FPS
  9. 270 FPS
  10. 273 FPS
  11. 271 FPS
  12. 273 FPS
  13. 270 FPS
  14. 264 FPS
  15. 262 FPS
  16. 260 FPS
MAX: 283 ; AVG: 272 ; MIN: 260

RAPID FIRE:

I then loaded a fresh magazine and fired it with 2s interval. No gas vented, out of 16 shots 4 remained in the mag due to the low blowback not beeing able to chamber the next round. SOCOMgear magazines have poor seals and much gas is wasted in each round.

• 10 months later...