Mp7/skorpion/mac vs AEP's

WhutJP

Okay i was just wondering how the machine pistols (thats what the mp7/skorp/mac are right?) fared against the AEP's that marui makes.

Is the range longer? and if so, by how much?

What about fire rate?

They use the same batteries right?

Basically Im looking for a winter back up. I'm leaning towards the mp7, even though it is a bit bulkier than a pistol.

But first i wanted to see how good the aep's like the 18c are. It would be easier/cheaper to get one of them (I have a holster already etc) but I am unsure as to their performance and how they compare to the machine pistols.

ps. Im not talking about the EBBs, i have one of them and they aren't so great.

I can't comment too much on small SMG AEPs versus regular pistol style AEPs, but they do have higher out of the box FPS and most reviews report better range for the SMGs.

Once again, due to my Czech ancestry, I'm contractually obligated to tell you that the Skorpion has the best firepower to weight ratio of any airsoft sidearm. It's about the size of an M9 with only slightly less firepower than the TM MP5k.

The MAC-10 and MP7 are nice guns too, but they're a but bulkier than the Skorpion. All are excellent choices for a sidearm.

cool thanks :)

I just did a search and found FarEast's mp7 review which compares the two.. sigh, i really should learn to look past the first couple of pages before posting..

I see they use different batteries too (though the same voltage.)

SMG AEPs have a higher out-of-box fps from a longer inner barrel. They also have a slightly longer cylinder however the usable volume is the same with the pistol variants as they have the same gear set/piston draw length. Put a Nine Ball spring in an MP7/Mac10/VZ61 and the fps climbs to a decent 260~270 on .20g bbs.

the "version 2" AEPs (mp7, scorp, mac) use similar mechanism to the "version 1" AEP (g18 m93r) however they have a larger cylander, and longer piston movement, this means more air is pushed through the barrel. V2 AEP has higher FPS, and can handle longer inner barrels than the V1 AEPs.

FWIW, I'm a bit of an AEP convert.

I often use a Double Eagle electric USP as a sidearm and I regularly use an MP7 for CQB.

The USP shoots at about 160fps (with 0.2g BBs) but is highly accurate and has a very good hop-up. IIRC, it cost something like £20 and, as such, it's gotta be one of my best airsoft purchases.

Obviously the range isn't great but for defending yourself, or for CQB, you never feel like you're out-gunned by other people.

All for £20-odd.

I have a Well (I think) MP7. It shoots at an incredible 260fps but the standard hop-up was absolutely awful, giving the gun mediocre range.

The ROF is pretty low (about half what you get from the average AEG) and the trigger lag is quite bad.

The gun is VERY nicely made though and, once I'd replaced the hop-up with a TM bucking, it works pretty well.

After about a year the spring for the cocking handle broke but that's a trivial issue.

Again, the gun was pretty cheap to buy so, overall, I was happy to buy it.

I think the TM versions of these guns are probably better than the ones I own but, for me at least, there was no way I'd consider paying more for an AEP than I'd pay for a "proper" AEG such as a TM MP5K so I would simply never buy a TM MP7.

As such, the Well MP7 is an acceptable way of fulfilling a desire to own an MP7.

MP7 (TM in my case) + 6.03 tightbore + Mag 130% spring&piston set = 315 fps

Range = awesome for such a small device.

More than enough for most things and pretty close to the limit considering you're in japan. Can be modded to take a lipo internally to give reasonable rof, or strap on an external battery. I use mine as a primary in FIBUA settings and have rarely felt out ranged by "proper" aegs.

'Though as Stealth said it's far from the cheap way to do things :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you Stealthbomber!! I have owned an Marui MP7 for quite some time now.. just a few months after they came out and i love it. Used it heaps.

I also obtained a Cyma G18C and i absolutely love it. I used to hate the idea of NBB, but this thing is just pure fun.

The MP7 is still sitting on a stock 230fps but the hop is excellent and range is accurate to at least 40m. It honestrly keeps up with much higher FPS guns. Glock is doing 200fps, has a pretty good hop, and is darn cheap. You can get them for $35US from most hong kong webshops

If it were me.. i'd buy both!

i would only suggest electric.

i love gas guns, but in the cold, they are *suitcase*! there is no way of sugar coating that fact!

if you are looking for a "winter" side arm, when it will be cold, (unless you are in oz, or similar) gas in not for winners.

good luck in your hunt

Archived