USMC IAR

masakarijoe

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHY? have you fired a 7.62 support weapon? have you fired a 5.56 support weapon?

no? then doesnt that make it hard to make a decision about what the Corp should use?

im not insulting you, merely stating that without the proper experience, NONE of us can decide what is best for the military.

now, that said, the Corps is looking for an IAR for a few reasons.

1 is that the SAW is very, very heavy and bulky.

2 is that it is belt fed, which means that reloading is considerable slower, and sharing ammunition between riflemen not possible (though the M249 does accept M16 mags as a secondary means). however, ammunition may be readied for use faster with a belt fed weapon, as magazines dont have to be loaded.

3 is that the SAW is open bolt ONLY. an open bolt weapon is superior for the support role, but a closed bolt weapon is superior for the rifleman role; the first shot of fire from an open bolt weapon is drastically less reliable than the first shot from a closed bolt, as well as far less accurate because the bolt must close first, jerking the weapon.

the Corps wants a weapon that not only fills the automatic rifleman role, but the support role. the IAR will fill that gap, though i think they need to find a better means of feeding it. Cmags will not hold up to military use.

-Joe

the Corps wants a weapon that not only fills the automatic rifleman role, but the support role. the IAR will fill that gap, though i think they need to find a better means of feeding it. Cmags will not hold up to military use.

-Joe

The General Dynamics drum mag for the normal ultimax is one of the best out there, feeds all the time and no need to mess with belts. It owuld be great if they adopted it for the Ultimax Mk 4.

yes, it is a Version 2 in their M249.

so anyway, so far for the LWRC, this project is looking very possible. im thinking:

FDE reciever

FDE DD 10" freefloat RAS

FDE ACOG ECOS

flip up front sight

grip pod

peq15

rail covers

magpul retractable stock

A2 grip

C mag

no ideas for the colt yet. the ultimax would have to be a custom build. the patriot arms would be similar to the LWRC, but with that crazy rail system, and come other cosmetic changes. the FN would be pretty much a scar with a custom made barrel.

-Joe

ideas for LWRC or POF:

http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1381

http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1667

but the rail is difficult for both...

the barrel for the POF:

http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1445

the COLT would be easiest of the M4 types, as it is just a standard M4A1 look, but with that new front end... for which i have no ideas.

-Joe

Depends on what stock you have on the SAW, and what position you're in. Prone with the standard MKII stock = easy recoil, standing with the para stock and its a PITA.

I have a news article I received from the Blackwater Tactical Weekly... have not yet read it, but anyways:

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/004458.html

so, the USMC is replacing 2000 of the 8000 M249 SAWs we have for 4100 IARs (Infantry Automatic Rifles)

basically a lightweight support weapon similar in role design to the BAR, the USMC is currently testing deciding between a few different competitors.

-Joe

just a bit of clarification, the Corps isn't replacing 25% of the SAWs in service as the above suggest (2000 of 8000) instead the Corps is replacing 20% of the SAWs currently in service (2K of 10K), reducing the number to 8000. Their goal is to supplement the SAW instead of replacing it.

Source: MarineTimes

anyway, back on topic, I like the LWRC. i've always liked their work of art. it seems to be the easiest to reproduce of the bunch

• 4 weeks later...

Archived