Replica TCI Liberator 2 headset-Ebay Banned

Hispeed1

[/b]For the people have trouble with the radio comms might try flipping upside down that 2 pin input on the back left side of the headset. Worked for me.

Tried it last night and did a quick and dirty test and it worked.

Its aliiiiiiiiive!!!!!!

I'm not sure about the sensitivity of the mic, but at least I know I can transmit and hear. I'm happy now.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already owned a pair of Peltor 6s, which I love but obviously no comms... So I decided to take the gamble on the EB comtacs. In comparison, what a pile of poo. The comms feature seemed to work fine, cant moan at that. But the amplification was rubbish with constant white noise in the background and there was defo no cut out to loud noises. It just was no match compared to my real Peltors.

Then I got the crazy idea of taking both the Peltors and comtacs apart and swapping the parts around to make just one unit. And it worked :D

First of all I was going to take the amplification mics out of the Peltors and put them in the comtacs, I assumed this would get rid of the white noise problem as the replica ones where probably cheap knock offs. But then I realised I still wouldnt have the cut out feature to the loud noises. And swapping the circuit boards around wasnt an option as it wouldnt fit.

So I chopped up the comtacs removing the boom mic, cable to the PTT and the small speaker. Drilled a hole in the bottom of the Peltors and inserted the PTT cable, then wired that up to the speaker (just twisted the wires together, ill solder it when I get a chance). And then screwed the speaker into place, I did this by leaving the speaker in the rubber surround from the comtacs and screwed through the rubber into a screw hole.

I then drilled another hole and pushed through the boom mic wire and connected that up to the PTT cable. I swapped the headbands around as the comtac headband had the mount for the boom mic and job done.

It now looks like my original Peltors however with a boom mic sticking out the side. Comms is admitedly mono at the moment, but thats no difference to my Bowman. I may fix another speaker into the other ear piece, but at the moment im not too fussed. So now I have the clear amplification of original Peltors with the cut out feature, and a nice comms unit.

I got my headset when these were first released, mine do have a DB cut off.

One of my firends got a set later after seeing mine and his beeps when he presses the buttons but mine don't, maybe because they changed the design after the first batch were made. I'm more than happy with my pair and they do the job well but obviously don't really compare to Sordins or the real peltors.

Hmmm...I like my fake peltors but the white noise is a bit bad. I was thinking of replacing the mics, does anyone know if mics are 'special' in any way, or if its something I could find online or even at radioshack?

Please forgive the lack of electronics knowledge.

Hmmm...I like my fake peltors but the white noise is a bit bad. I was thinking of replacing the mics, does anyone know if mics are 'special' in any way, or if its something I could find online or even at radioshack?

Please forgive the lack of electronics knowledge.

Well my comtacs looked like the same design to my Peltors, to describe it, it looks abit like 3 watch batteries on top of each other - but a solid unit...if that makes sense?

Well my comtacs looked like the same design to my Peltors, to describe it, it looks abit like 3 watch batteries on top of each other - but a solid unit...if that makes sense?

Something like this?

I think I'll open my headset up and see if that might fit...if I think they might fit, perhaps I'll go down to Radioshack and pick up a couple and see what happens.

edit-I do think those speakers would fit, however the mics seem to be encased in rubber, so, not sure how I'd get them out.

Something like this?

I think I'll open my headset up and see if that might fit...if I think they might fit, perhaps I'll go down to Radioshack and pick up a couple and see what happens.

edit-I do think those speakers would fit, however the mics seem to be encased in rubber, so, not sure how I'd get them out.

yep thats exactly it - and they pull out, might need a small flat head screwdriver to help though.

Anyone happen to know how big head does that EB comtac II fit??

I would have to say pretty big. I wear a U.S. size medium hat, but am on the smallish side of medium. I have to adjust it nearly all the way down to get a good fit.

Archived