GHK GBB AKS74U Review

Well using CO2 for blowback and then tossing in a NPAS my kinda defeat the purpose, if you run the NPAS to generate a "safe" velocity you will probably also generate the same blowback as the pressure would be the same, at least that's my understanding of an NPAS. The reason I would use CO2 is for the lack of temperature sensitivity compared to propane or duster.

However, I've never run my gen 2 (that I sadly no longer have) on CO2 only propane.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding was that it regulated how much pressure went to the blowback unit and how much went to drive the BB, kinda like a divider in the mechanism. I could be wrong, but in other GBBRs with NPAS I saw a loss in power to drive more blowback and a loss in blowback to driver higher powers.

I have several CO2 magazines that I've run through the GHKs with no issues (I have three, well, two now ;) ). It does need an NPAS to adjust the BB velocity, yes. The internals are hard to transfer to real shells (been there, tried that) because the body of the magazine is also a rather integral part of holding the BBs. If you can overcome that somehow (maybe an MP5 lowcap, cut up) then you're good to go.

Anyone know whereabouts I can get one of these at the moment. Wish I could have got one at the time but I didn't have the cash until now. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

As I remember, Land Warrior used to carry these. No idea if they still do, but I can recommend them as a retailer.

Ben.

EDIT:: Here you go, they're on sale, as it happens; http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/acatalog/Other_Gas_Rifles.html

Edited by L4byr1nth
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my gun last week (AKS74UN) and I'm in love with it, I feel it has great accuracy for a GBB. Only gripe I have is that the loading nozzle is weak, mine broke after about 5 mags worth. I did get mine second hand, anyways it's an escuse now to get the RA Tech complete bolt lol. Gonna spend alot of money on this gun here.

You probably have to join CA.net to view the for sale ad.

http://classicairsoft.org/forum/showthread.php?10520-Steel-AL-parts-for-GHK-AKS74U

and an aluminum gen one hop-up for older ones

http://classicairsoft.org/forum/showthread.php?10519-Aluminium-BB-chamber-for-GHK-AKSU

You will probably have to email justin personally and ask him as he no longer comes onto CA.net regularly as he works a lot. But you could also try to find used sets on places like here, CA.net, and gasguns.info .

Edited by frogfish
  • 3 months later...

I'd like to revive this topic if I may.

I've only just jumped into the GBB rifle club, bought a Viper XM177E2 the last week of December 2010 and have some issues with it that are more than likely due to cold temps, (Montana), and my lack of knowledge of the GBB rifle. I'm a competent AEG tech and have replaced the slides on my TM Glocks with metal ones, but no real GBB skills.

I'm in contact with a couple of Viper-knowledgeable folks in Taiwan and in Spain so I'm confident I'll sort the Viper out in time...GHK makes what is reputed to be a good CO2 mag.

All of my research led me to this thread and my first post on AA. Lately I have been carrying AK variants into the field, especially in Winter for the more durable V3 AEG gearbox and I now need to acquire a GBB AK. From what I have learned from my two mentors on the subject of GBB AKs, there has been a problem with reliability and consistency as regards the AK. Until now, apparently. GHK seems to be finally solving the reliability problems, the R&D of regular folks buying and field testing the guns and the subsequent changes and reinforcing of weak parts seems to have resulted in a good product.

My Taiwanese friend counsels patience, it is not yet the time to buy the GHK; but, I am encouraged by this thread detailing the improvements that are being made. My questions are as follows: In the opinions of the posters here, is the newest version of the GHK AK a reliable, skirmishable piece? Will the mags truly hold enough green gas to expend a full mag on full auto if called upon to do so? How necessary are the after market upgrades to ensure reliability and shot-to-shot consistency? I'm certainly willing to go the replace whatever parts that might be reasonably required...which of the parts would you gentlemen recommend? Is green gas sufficient, or should I look at CO2 like I'm doing with my XM177...or does it matter? I live in Montana, we haven't seen temps above 50F since October and probably won't see it for another month or more.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-Tom-

www,airsoftmontana.com

Edited by manykids

You might want to hold off on getting one of the current AK74. Seems there are several AK variant GBBs coming soonish. GHK is even releasing new AKs and they are not compatible with each other from initial reports, so many of the current aftermarket improvements will be useless with them, but there is a high likelihood they will be superior to the current generation.

You might want to hold off on getting one of the current AK74. Seems there are several AK variant GBBs coming soonish. GHK is even releasing new AKs and they are not compatible with each other from initial reports, so many of the current aftermarket improvements will be useless with them, but there is a high likelihood they will be superior to the current generation.

Thank you Pariah;

I'll keep an eye on the forums for updates.

Edited by manykids