Chinese Barrett M82A1 and M99 (PICS!)

chas

I've actually been considering modding my KJW M700 to allow the use of 6mm Airfin rounds (its actually only the mag you need to mod there is enough clearance in the chambering of the round that the gun shouldn't need modding), but like so many fun things in my life at the moment I don't have the time :-(

Please don't. RAP4's Airfin was horrible. It weighed no more than .12, and the molding was just terrible. Seam lines galore. The tails were horribly deformed.

-Vic

(BTW, I just realized Arnie's had a built in spell check! No more guessing, lol!)

Please don't. RAP4's Airfin was horrible. It weighed no more than .12, and the molding was just terrible. Seam lines galore. The tails were horribly deformed.

-Vic

(BTW, I just realized Arnie's had a built in spell check! No more guessing, lol!)

Thanks for the info Vic. I hadn't bought any in yet (was waiting for my next trip to Santa Clara) so that's saved me some disappointment.

Although badly executed in this case, the idea of a more shaped round for sniping is not a bad one, probably a lot easier to get right in an 8mm form as well.

(BTW - Google Tool Bar has built in spellchecking as well ;) )

Thanks for the info Vic. I hadn't bought any in yet (was waiting for my next trip to Santa Clara) so that's saved me some disappointment.

Although badly executed in this case, the idea of a more shaped round for sniping is not a bad one, probably a lot easier to get right in an 8mm form as well.

(BTW - Google Tool Bar has built in spellchecking as well ;) )

Yeah those airfin things are awful. Better off with BBs and a good hop-unit - never seen a shaped sniper round that could beat that.

(Firefox has a spellchecker too - just add the dictionary via the add-on section :))

As for the M82, what's the betting they've used a V2 gearbox in it? TBH if the price is right I'm all up for having an M82 or M99...though I'll get the RS SVD first.

Impractical unless you like going to jail for murder after every skirmish, then :P

But yes, semi auto 8mm GBB with enough fps would, IMHO, be the only way to do those kinds of weapons justice in airsoft, even if they won't be the most practical guns on the field.

why 8mm, it's inferior to 6mm. sure its bigger, like a .50, but what use is that when it looses energy quicker due to air resistance thus decreasing the effective range (one of the main purposes of the RS)

why 8mm, it's inferior to 6mm. sure its bigger, like a .50, but what use is that when it looses energy quicker due to air resistance thus decreasing the effective range (one of the main purposes of the RS)

The thinking was larger surface area at the point of contact with the target (an *albartroth* cheek for example :-) ) means its less likely to penetrate at high muzzle velocity. Thats why a paintball gun can legally be 8J in the UK and we get stuck with 1J on 6mm (well okay higher for sniping, but you get the point) its the risk of skin penetration (ooo errr misses and all that).

If you want really long range (80-100m) to ape a .50 you're gonna need to give it some welly (with an enforced 35m+ minium engagement range of course).

but as i said, the BB will bleed energy faster and loose range a lot quicker thus making it pointless.

and paintballs are a different kettle of fish, not only are they MUCH larger than even an 8mm BB, but they arent solid and will burst or at least flex. same can't be said for a solid BB, no matter what caliber.

my_plague_666 is completely right. Also due to the larger surface it's way more affected by wind.

8mm are really a bad choice. And from the safety side, it's totally the same.

The initial contact surface of a spheric round is the same as with 6mm and 8mm.

It has only effects when it's getting distorted. On hard surfaces, where penetrating could happen,

for example in the face, the difference is close to none. On my leg I don't care, because if you can't take

a small bruise, you're wrong in this sport anyway. I still prefer to avoid it with intelligent safety distances and fps limits.

But 8mm aren't better in any way than 6mm and someone who cries when he's hit with a 6mm won't feel any difference with 8mm.

Paintballs absorb way more Energy to themselve than a hard BB does. I think that's way more reason than their size.

8mm just aren't skirmishable at larger distances what a .50BMG should be. That's also a reason why I'll try to convert my VFCs into 6mm GBB.

Even if it doesn't feel that right, but at least way better than an AEG.

right now I am looking at these barretts and depending on the price I might buy one and gun it and mount either my VSR 10's guts or systema gear box

This is what you need to fully utilize the capabilities of this set up, as it is a copy of the Hurrican kit. The mag holds 1200 rounds for anyone wondering.

ff8.jpg

I built mine from the bottom up with a Systema magnum force gearbox, a 12v 2400 MaH battery (I wanted a 3600 MaH, but it was out of stock) and a Prometheus 650mm tightbore barrel. It sounds screeches like a banshee when it fires and does 520 fps. I'll do an accuracy check later this week...

As for GBB - anyone knows if the Filipino CO2 gearbox is out already? I saw the clips on AZR Machine Co. site, but IIRC there was no set release date.

someone on RA had the CO2 one a while back. seemed pretty poor to me, no blowback and it used the piston to hit the valve (thus you still need a battery and it still sounds like a sewing machine.

only any good if you're after an adjustable FPS

firefly how much was that kit and where did you get it? I assume thats a ver2 mechbox?

never mind i see yours is the Hurricane kit

Yeah the price was ridiculous. ($1,685 at airsoftglobal for the kit alone) And it really stung when I found out how wrong the receiver and mag measurements were off. Which is why I don't recommend the chinese copy even if it is less.

has as long as it looks close to a barrett I will be happy

Yeah there are some mods I have been working on to replicate the barrel springs inside, and whenever I can find resin casting materials I will recast the mag about an inch longer, which will make it look alot more convincing. I still don't want to show it off though because the first thing anyone is going to say is how it isn't right, and after spending that much money, (most expensive ASG in my collection) it just hurts. It is a solid performer though. No way around that.

As far as I know only my M82 version accepts VSR so far. $1650 is extremely high, mine costs half as much while being all steel, having long mag and max -+2mm deviation from the original , featuring VSR and V3 AEG gearbox compatibility. The 2nd batch will even have blowback and MP40 gearbox compatiblity for real field stripping. I'm curious when the Chinese will replicate that for acceptable price range. Does the clone Minigun for $3500 or the clone STG44 for $950 ring any bells? And even if they do copy, I have a nice little batch of Barrett M95s to take the XMas AS market by surprise :D.

As far as I know only my M82 version accepts VSR so far. $1650 is extremely high, mine costs half as much while being all steel, having long mag and max -+2mm deviation from the original , featuring VSR and V3 AEG gearbox compatibility. The 2nd batch will even have blowback and MP40 gearbox compatiblity for real field stripping. I'm curious when the Chinese will replicate that for acceptable price range. Does the clone Minigun for $3500 or the clone STG44 for $950 ring any bells? And even if they do copy, I have a nice little batch of Barrett M95s to take the XMas AS market by surprise :D.

I don't mean to be rude, but I need to correct you here. The ECHO1 M134 Minigun is made by CAW in Japan (It is made for Echo1 by CAW and distributed by them. Apparently CAW employee said to me it is quite durable as long as it is properly cleaned out once in awhile). It's not a Chinese clone at all so $3500 shouldn't be too surprising if its made in Japan.

However, I believe that in the future expensive guns coming from China will not be a rare sight it's already happening. Personally the M82 is a niche item in airsoft, favored by all, but used by a few.

I don't mean to be rude, but I need to correct you here. The ECHO1 M134 Minigun is made by CAW in Japan

No rude at all :). I know that, I meant that it was hyped to be a cheap chinese clone. When Echo1 announced. that they will sell a minigun everyone automatically assumed that 1. it will be Chinese 2. it will be cheap.

M82 is a niche item in airsof, favored by all, but used by a few

Quoted for truth!

For an airsoft version to do the real steel justice, it will have to be GBB, run on C02, fire at very high velocities (550+), and use an entire CO2 capsule per shot with most of the gas for a massive blowback mechanism which proceeds to eject the spent capsule 25 feet.

Hey, I can dream.

For an airsoft version to do the real steel justice, it will have to be GBB, run on C02, fire at very high velocities (550+), and use an entire CO2 capsule per shot with most of the gas for a massive blowback mechanism which proceeds to eject the spent capsule 25 feet.

Hey, I can dream.

Actually, there is a custom SR-25 on Youtube that's similar to this.

I'd dig up the link, but I'm lazy. :P

-Vic

Edit: Ahh, what the heck. Here it is:

This is what you need to fully utilize the capabilities of this set up, as it is a copy of the Hurrican kit. The mag holds 1200 rounds for anyone wondering.

ff8.jpg

I built mine from the bottom up with a Systema magnum force gearbox, a 12v 2400 MaH battery (I wanted a 3600 MaH, but it was out of stock) and a Prometheus 650mm tightbore barrel. It sounds screeches like a banshee when it fires and does 520 fps. I'll do an accuracy check later this week...

Do they still make this conversion kits?

Archived