So "tactical" that it's silly

crunkathon2k

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MRE's are also great for smug looks when it's cold and wet and others have spent 10 minutes trying to get their gas cookers lit, by which time you've cooked yours and are happily munching away :P . Also when your finished cooking the meal the heater bag can be stuffed up a jumper for extra warmth when standing around in the safe zone

I find myself picking my gear to fit the mission and terrain... so not much on the chest area if I'm going greenside where there's a better than fair chance at prone/crawling... but in urban I tend to just stay crouched because I'm usually wearing stuff that makes prone painful.

Does anyone think it is silly when people trudge through mud and rivers just to be "tactical?" Personally, I would rather get shot than get my gear wet, risk damaging my guns, etc. Pretending that you're a Navy Seal is cool and all, but I think some people take it a bit too far.

Don't get me wrong, some stuff has a lot of practicality. Going prone, using headsets, and advancing in formation seems unnecessarily complex but can make a huge difference on the field. However, you can become totally impractical by taking a swim when you could have walked, painting your face when a balaclava would do, and eating MREs when you could have ordered a burger beforehand.

Who's with me?

I agree with the river thing, but everything else is fair game.

No offense, but if you think that playing or attacking in formation is unnecessarily complex, then you are probably one of the hordes of n00bs that I routinely sneak up behind and shoot in the rear end, or are overwhelmed when me and 5 teammates spread out and surround you from all angles...LOL.

This thread is lol.

To address the ops points. MRE=NOMNOMNOMNOM(once u get the strawberry shake, u know u found jeebus)

Running through/across/over/under/around *suitcase*/hell/rivers/ditches/swamps/in the rain/down the slope/etc to get to the objective, oh yes im all for it, i welcome it

Doing it because its "teh crazies", there are a few instances for that, like setting that ambush where no one will ever think you are possibly partially submerged, that kind of epic is what this game is about.

If your gear and equipment was expensive and u are going to cry because it got used a bit, get over yourself, there are plenty of places where gear whores just pile up on equipment and parade it around the keyboard. We enjoy actually using it.

i find that crawling through mud,streams, and generally doing things that gets your kit dirty is all part of the fun, not to mention that it can, and quite often does give you an advantage...

as an example, my last game, the woodland is extremely dense in places, and as such the firefights are furious, and very hectic..

i spent most of the morning prone, providing covering fire for my team...got absolutely filthy. my vest,camo, everything got muddy,wet and generally abused...i loved every second of it.

my guess is that it boils down to how you play the game, as long YOU are having fun...it's all good.

cheers

N

Does anyone think it is silly when people trudge through mud and rivers just to be "tactical?" Personally, I would rather get shot than get my gear wet, risk damaging my guns, etc. Pretending that you're a Navy Seal is cool and all, but I think some people take it a bit too far.

Don't get me wrong, some stuff has a lot of practicality. Going prone, using headsets, and advancing in formation seems unnecessarily complex but can make a huge difference on the field. However, you can become totally impractical by taking a swim when you could have walked, painting your face when a balaclava would do, and eating MREs when you could have ordered a burger beforehand.

Who's with me?

sounds like you should stick to CQB

Getting dirty is fun!

Last game I accidentally stuffed the front of my Spets into a pile of mud but after knocking most of it off the flash hider I have deliberately not cleaned becuase it adds character and proves that the thing has actually seen action. Yes, I was going prone when I did it and yes, the ground was wet. :P

But why do people feel the need to rack the charging handle(or whatever its called) on an AEG? That is peculiar!

I do this! After every mag change too! :D Because it's fun and feels badass :) . Especially with an AK which has a proper rack-able (sp?) charging handle! I'm actually working on an electronic system which requires you to operate the weapon controls in the correct sequence in order for the gun to function.

Unnecessary? Yes. But according to WhutJP's Rule Of Tacticoolness #2: 'do stuff cos its fun = ok.', this is ok :P.

Stu.

Last game I accidentally stuffed the front of my Spets into a pile of mud but after knocking most of it off the flash hider I have deliberately not cleaned becuase it adds character and proves that the thing has seen action. Yes, I was going prone when I did it and yes, the ground was wet. :P

I do this! After every mag change too! :D Because it's fun and feels badass :) . Especially with an AK which has a proper rack-able (sp?) charging handle! I'm actually working on an electronic system which requires you to operate the weapon controls in the correct sequence in order for the gun to function. Unnecessary? Yes. Fun? Definitely.

Stu.

fair enough, each to his own eh?

actually the electronics side of that sounds like it would be interesting, keep us posted should you figure out how to do it..

I don't mind getting dirty, jumping in rivers, eating MRE's (not that bad IMO) is fine. One thing I can't see though is buying real plates and soft armor just for airsoft. Absoulutly no reason for it. cardboard/plastic sheeting and camping mats work just fine.

agreed, you just dont need real plates for airsoft.....i have foam ones in my CIRAS (pantac)... they do the job just fine...

i do understand that airsofters who are serving miltary personnel, army/marines etc etc.. may wear thier real deal plates/vest (if they are allowed) as this may aid thier physical conditioning while playing airsoft....

but civilians whe buy real ballistic plates, purely for airsoft.. whats the point....

I *fruitcage* love getting dirty for the sake of a fun experience or a good kill.

I love diving into dirt, crawling through mud, and sprinting down thorn covered hills for the lulz.

If I had a CQB field, I'm sure I'd be known as the nutter who would climb on the roof, tie himself to the other end, and rappel down the side of the building for the sake of a few more AWESOME kills.

well here is my 2 pence if ur gear is dirty put ur weapon in a nice warm room walk ur mud caked *albatross* in to the bath room get in the shower when its on and hot (fully clothed boots and all) add shower gel scrub as 1 layer is clean take it off throw it on the floor (dont block the plug!) and repeat process till naked and clean (take boots off before trousers this can lead to a bruised elbow and ribs) its that easy, any way yeah ill go through a puddle jump in a river done it in the army least now i know i aint gotta spend the next 10days in the smelly cloths so hey what the hell its a laugh

Personally, i only wear combats because i dont mind getting them ripped or dirty, if i had something else i would wear that... In my opinion camouflage isn't useful, i can see it being an advantage for snipers, when you aren't moving for long periods of time... but my style is to run constantly, so any advantage gained by camo, is then lost... i think people are entitled to take it seriously... but i dont...

I don't mind getting dirty, jumping in rivers, eating MRE's (not that bad IMO) is fine. One thing I can't see though is buying real plates and soft armor just for airsoft. Absoulutly no reason for it. cardboard/plastic sheeting and camping mats work just fine.

I agree. Yes, some people wear it to simulate the real thing and have lots of good personal reasons. However, this is the one piece of gear that can take away the fun from other people. When an airsoft BB hits a plate, you can't feel it. You can only hear it. When you are moving and making noise with your gear and somebody decides to shoot you in the plate... well... its going to get frustrating. This is why I usually frown on real plates.

Archived