Proper airsoft Zombie Hunter guns

Pablo

In response to Hedganian's point here, I thought we could do a spot of market research here on behalf of all airsoft gun manufacturers to see if we can get them to make us a proper Zombie Hunter gun (or guns) instead of just bolting different stuff onto M4's all the time and slapping on the word "Zombie" so we'll buy it.

I know we already have a couple of anti-zombie loadout threads kicking around, but this is a bit more specific:

1. If you're putting together an anti-zombie loadout, what gun (or guns) would you go for?

2. If a manufacturer were to come out with a Zombie Hunter special version of it, how do you think they should do it?

Depending on response, I may make a poll later. If no-one gives a monkeys, at least the manufacturers will know!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree that "really really short" isn't the way to go.

I would disagree with the people that suggest you need big, heavy bullets. Although they have more stopping power, the gains made there are way less than the disadvantage of being able to only carry maybe 1/3 of the quantity of ammo. In a theoretical survival situation, you want to keep weight down.

Small is also good. Assuming you want to stay alive, emphasis is going to be on staying away from conflict, not going out to hunt something nigh unstoppable. Theres also no need for a long barrel to extend range. If you're a long way away, stay a long way away, don't encourage them to come looking for you.

To be perfectly honest, my first choice would be a plain M4 with an attached flashlight. Iron sights in preference to any kind of optic. So as far as manufacturers go, thats not very exciting.

Shotguns are the other classic. Maybe companies need to be making more varieties of good, reliable shotguns (TM system perhaps?) I'd love to see M870s and M500s in that style. Gas & shell ejecting is all well and good, but not exactly practical.

As I was writing this I was conscious that many people might suggest "Gun X with a flashlight will do" rather than a fancy schmantsy front end and uber l33t optics or a weird stock, but if that's what people want then at least we might get guns supplied with flashlights in the box :P

Naturally, there are different stages to an "infection", but don't let the finer points get in the way too much. If it helps to explain your choice though, fair enough. For example, if there's still a realistic chance of accidentally hitting a survivor then perhaps 9mm might be the way to go (so you don't end up shooting the good guys through the wall). Just try to bear in mind we're talking about airsoft guns, so the usual rules of practicality in the field still apply.

Theres two schools of thought on the whole Zombie Apocalypse thing.

You have the wake up one morning to find the dead are walking in which case its just M4's/AK's with flashlights and red dots or the scifi near future where its all mad rails and stubby guns firing stupidly huge rounds and axes that make Gimli look like hes carring a small hatchet to take on the hords of mordor.

Personally if I were making a zombie apocalypse gun I'd have something like an SR-25 with a shorty barrel and masterkey with a flashlight on the side for good measure.

I wonder how hard it would be to fit M500 works into an old SPAS shell?

Not very

The SPAS dwarfs the M500. If you had the tools you could probably shave about a mm from the M500 reciver and the inside of the SPAS one and sit the whole thing inside as a full unit.

Seeing as its aimed at getting a manufacturer to make something unique for a zombie load out, how about an AEG version of sterling as that is compact and not made at the moment and as it would be a brit zombie load out it would work well. Seeing as there isnt an AEG version made I sure would love to see a version of it made.

Shot gun wise shell ejecting is a lot of fun but in the winter months not practical for airsoft, I would just love to see a real wood shot gun made that was spring powered (M500 or what ever), for that classic just found this shot gun in a farm look.

Being able to carry lots of ammo is a good point, but I dont think it has the same psychological weight a heavy caliber has: although it is a good point, I think most people really dont think about it that much when "choosing" an anti-zombie weapon.

I would love for some company to make a line of fantasy weapons, based on real guns, like they do on videogames: the lack of realism is by far countered by the "badass" factor.

Examples:

Tactical Shotgun (2 barrels?) with boxmag or even belt-fed (at least as a prop)

Some short 7.62 (or .50 cal) machinegun, complete with swiss-cheesed heatcover over the barrel and fake rocket launcher

Whatever they can think of

These weapons would also make it a lot easier for the designers: no real meassurments to keep in mind and they can design the gun around the gearbox instead of the other way around.

what would i like any 7.62/5.56 with plenty of ammo big mag capacity, silencer, under slung grenade launcher that fires ninjas who have a death star in the shape of a pirate and a night vision sight

what would i be likely to obtain 12 gauge under and over from gun cabinet

so i think they should make a 12 gauge under and over that fires a new 12 gauge sized moscart

in my opinion for it to be a proper zombie hunting gun its not going to be some sort of suped up assault rifle with accessories costing the best part of £3000 its going to be something that you can find easily

Nath

Oh the things I would do for a good F2000 and an EGLM...

I think if I were in a zombie situation I would want a smallish weapon (G36c or M4 size) with some practical bits on it, so a flashlight and maybe an optic of sorts. The main thing I would want it to be is SOLID. First, because I wouldn't want pieces falling off, but second, chances are in a zombie overrun you'll be getting up close and personal at least a few times. Worst case scenario would warrant the bashing of some zombies' faces in. I'd think a full stock version of something along with some fashion of a Swordfish style front end would be ideal.

Any form of 5.56 ammo using weapon (i.e L85a2) preferably gas that shoots at 328ish and ejects shells, no more hi-cap whores spraying zombies to death, lots more fun when you run out of ammo and the shells would just look soo cool.

Cant wait for the shell ejecting glock to come out :D

Also, improved shell ejecting shotguns, i love the tanaka system but only firing 2 bb's at a time is a bit poo.

AKS-74U with Kobra red dot+RIS+flashlight+drum mag

Secondary: Benelli M3 with flashlight and doorbuster rounds

Reasoning: AKs are incredibly reliable, 5.45 does it's job, and flashlights are great for night time and for blinding charging zombies/illuminating dark buildings whilst clearing them. Also, folding stock. Also, you don't need to reload as much with drum mags. Shotgun for being a shotgun. Busting doors and occasionally they will work better in CQB zombie time.

EDIT: Forgot the second part.

(For the AK)

It should be 100% accurately made, full steel+fiberglass furniture. RIS system should be real steel quality.

As I was writing this I was conscious that many people might suggest "Gun X with a flashlight will do" rather than a fancy schmantsy front end and uber l33t optics or a weird stock, but if that's what people want then at least we might get guns supplied with flashlights in the box :P

Well, my apologies for subverting your intended topic from the very start. In my opinion, too much useless fancy stuff is just going to slow you down, get dirty, stop other things working or whatever.

Its worth noting that most of the zombie killer stuff was named after the logos and script on it, which is something I definitely do appreciate.

I do like the suggestion of custom made gear for zombie hunting. Especially if its in the advanced stages and you can assume that survivors have been holed up for quite some time thinking about how the hell they're going to get out of there.

zombies are atracted to noise, a silencer would be important. Also a flashlight would be all well and good for emergancies, but the light would also draw more zombies closer and ultimately cause your brains to be eaten.

Trust me, if the world as we know it is over, being able to see in the dark is a useful tool. :P Mounted flashlight because it means you don't end up in that classic horror situation of "Well I can hold either the weapon or the flashlight, but not both. Oh no, I died!"

Being able to carry lots of ammo is a good point, but I dont think it has the same psychological weight a heavy caliber has: although it is a good point, I think most people really dont think about it that much when "choosing" an anti-zombie weapon.

Psychology means little to a brain dead zombie, and feeling safe doesn't actually make you safe. Hence my attraction to smaller calibres.

Of course its all completely fantasy-theoretical, so its only 'an answer i disagree with' not 'a wrong answer'.

A quick read through Max Brooks' zombie survival guide will inform those preparing (or is it hoping?) for the zombie apocalypse. While he is an American author and thus much of the information is geared towards what is practical and available in the US, it still contains good advice.

Working on the premise that the zombies encountered as as per the book, ie slow-moving, lacking in intelligence, can only be killed be destroying the brain, etc, rather than the newer style of "zombie (28 days/weeks later, Left 4 dead, etc) - which is actually more along the lines of an infected human, ie they can run, still have some emotion and intelligence, can open doors or solve simple puzzles, climb fences, etc. then you're going to want a super-accurate weapon, ideally quiet and lightweight with long to medium range.

Large bullets aren't required, in fact, the guide tells us that smaller bellets actually work better in many cases. A .22rf round generally lacks the energy to penetrate the skull twice, resulting in the bullet rattling around inside the skull, shread brain tissue as it does so. The small bullet and casing makes for less noise even without a silencer, you can carry hundreds of them because they are very small and light. .22 pistols have been favoured by hitmen and the like for years, for these reasons.

You don't want anything more than semi-auto. If the weapon has full-auto ability, then you'll be tempted to use it when the situation gets intense and that just wastes ammo. Semi auto means you can fire more rapidly, but bolt actions are generally more accurate. Having to fire slowly means you'll make sure each bullet is a kill. Think of yourself as having to become the ultimate sniper. You can only aim for the head, and you need to hit every time. Every shot means more zombies hear you and start coming for you.

Assuming I was going to buy or build an anti-zombie gun, I'd base it on the M14 or something similar. Maybe the PSG1. Something semi-auto and accurate. I think there's already a shorter "tactical" M14 out there with sticklebrick... er... I mean RIS rails on it, so that might be a good place to start.

Basing it on the SA80 might not be such a bad idea, as it is one of the most accurate assault rifles in the world. The working parts could easily be adjusted to create semi-auto only, and the 5.56mm rounds are a bit smaller than 7.62mm so you could carry more (for airsoft, this doesn't really matter, but it would relate to the size of the magazines, I guess).

A shotgun - while it looks good, and will easily pulverise a zombie's head at close range, would not be the way to go, because they have relatively low range and accuracy and ammunition capacity and are very loud. If the zombies are that close, then you're either going to want to go hand-to-hand with this - remember, blades don't need reloading - or go for your pistol.

In the case of the pistol, the same rules apply as the rifle. You want something quite small with lots of room for ammo. A silencer would be great. Any 9mm would be fine, as they're plentiful and ammo is readily available. A .22 pistol would be ideal - again, you're only going for head shots, shooting the zombie anywhere else is just a waste of time, and the low velocity bullet will rattle around in its brain, giving a neat and tidy kill with less noise and splatter. Remember that zombie blood is infected and contagious, so you want to avoid splashing it around if possible.

So I'd go for a silenced sniper rifle for the really long range stuff - say the AW338 because I like it, or the WA2000 because it's amazing, a modified SA80 for the medium-range engagements, a silenced 9mm and/or a .22 pistol for when they're in the same room as me and the machete for when it all goes wrong and I've run out of bullets, etc.

For the infected-human style of zombie, any weapon will work, they're not the undead, they're just infected so blowing big holes in them will work just the same as for normal people. In that situation, I'd want to be packing full-auto, preferably belt-fed.

What I'd have :D

SR25 for range.

Scope to get ones miles away.

Silly bright laser for close encounters

Silencer so the fcukers don't hear me.

Semi-automatic shotgun slung under for emergencies.

Side mounted handle for those moments when there's hundreds of the things.

Only thing I'd change is i'd rather have a c-mag or drum mag :D

P1020102.jpg

P1020107.jpg

Archived