Proper airsoft Zombie Hunter guns

Pablo

Know what happens if you set fire to 90 zombies? You get eaten by 90 zombies. On fire. Don't get me wrong, I really like setting fire to things :P, but for the weight and bulk of a flamer you could carry an M60 or an automatic shotgun with many rounds, so that you can at least hose there legs and slow 'em down if you can't be bothered stopping them..

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, what zombies are we talking about? I think more of the infected kinds (Resident Evil and Left 4 Dead) that are just real hard to kill. :) If the only way to kill them is through the head, I'll just take your standard M4 Carbine with attached flashlight and Optic.

As for a sidearm. I am 1911 biased, but I think I would get a Springfield XD .45 with an Insight M6X. 13 + 1 .45 rounds FTW! If you miss the head, you can still slow/knock them down with the lead your putting in them.

Personally, if ammo wasn't an issue, and it shouldn't be in this case, I'd pick a MP5, MP5/10, UMP, or a 9mm Calico. They are compact, accurate, and reliable. And can also be silenced relatively easily.

I'd pick 9mm, .40SW, or .45ACP over .22LR because if I was up against zombies, I need something that would splatter brains, instead of putting nice clean round holes in it. I could see the reasoning behind most people picking .22LR, but in the end it might not be able to completely stop zombies, and in these situations, I'd rather be safe than sorry. The .40SW and .45ACP also has the added bonus of somewhat being able to knock zombies back or blow limbs off if headshots are not possible.

The Calico is chosen because of it's capacity and profile, MP5 and UMP has long magazines, which raises the chance of it being caught on something, and again, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

That said, if I was going to design a zombie gun, it'd most likely be based on an MP5, 3ft long at most, and use high capacity box magazines. It'll probably be like a Bizon and MP5 cross, for fear of magazine snagging. It needs to have a metal FAMAS style handguard, and a strike front. You need to be able to depend on it being a melee weapon if the situation calls for it, with the front magazine gone, the handguard would be a great force multiplier should a zombie get too close. It should also have a sturdy full stock, it'll make it a bit bulkier, but you gain storage space for small/spare parts, not to mention the stock pouches you can add. A flashlight should be build under the strike kit, no side rails, the top rail would have a laser and a OEG gunsight, since they require no batteries and work just fine in close and medium ranges fast target acquisition. The flashlight and laser should run off a rechargeable crank up battery.

That's only the main weapon, it'll be smart to carry along a sidearm using the same ammo and maybe a simple and light bolt action rifle for farther targets.

even so, a heatshot will drop the zombie quicker, essential or not.

and fire is surely a pretty slow way of killing zombies anyway, especially considering they they will most likely be immune to pain and therefore it won't even slow them in their tracks or scare them.

how about a PP-19 bizon? AK reliability and 64 (IIRC) 9mms at your disposal. calico would be good too, one of the carbine versions with a 100 round mag.

something like a significantly shortened AM-180 would be great for a last resort IMO. up to 275 .22 short magnums at 1500RPM would be perfect for clearing a patch if you find yourself being surrounded by a horde.

My ideal zombie hunter gun?

Whenever I think of a sci-fi type weapon where I need to be BAMF I think Warhammer 40K bolt-pistol.

SO: first, I'd definitely want something in 7.62 if not larger. On the flip side, it needs to be usable one handed. Possibly a patriot version of the SR-25. Stockless, but the stock tube would need to be hacked off as well. Not any ordinary flashlight, but it'd need a large spotlight at least four inches in diameter, and would be off-set up and to the right of the receiver for a right-handed user. If I were dealing with zombies I wouldn't bother with iron sights. Barrel would be extremely short, just long enough to accommodate a mini 40mm launcher for emergencies (so it'd be like a combi-boltpistol). Weight distribution would be a problem, though.

Oh, wait, we have something like that. The G3 SAS. But I'd prefer it in the form of an Armalite or even an AK - though I have no clue how it would turn out for the latter as the receiver is way too long.

Actually... a pump action, box-magazine fed 40mm would be cool. But it'd have to be designed so that the expended shells would go back to the bottom of the magazine...

Edit:// Can anyone explain to me why they'd rather have small caliber rounds? I'm seeing a lot of mentions of .22LR and 9mm, but I don't know how they'd fare against zombie stopping.

Though those mentions of .22LR rifles with banana mags sure looks awesome. I guess it depends on what style of zombie-hunter you are...

hehe, such serious posts for zombie killing. :)

even so, a heatshot will drop the zombie quicker, essential or not.

and fire is surely a pretty slow way of killing zombies anyway, especially considering they they will most likely be immune to pain and therefore it won't even slow them in their tracks or scare them.

Ok, maybe a portable *cough* flamethrower is impractical, but I would still want some Molotov cocktails just in case. In a zombie apocalyptic outbreak, they would be easy to find and make, perhaps even more so than ammunition.

Actually, now that I think about it. I would actually want an m16 over an M4. Reasoning being that when you are backed in a corner with zombie breath in your face, you can attach a bayonet and have a bit longer reach with it. Plus you have the full stock to bash some heads in.

Edit:// Can anyone explain to me why they'd rather have small caliber rounds? I'm seeing a lot of mentions of .22LR and 9mm, but I don't know how they'd fare against zombie stopping.

The main reasoning (imo) is that if the only way to kill a zombie is by shooting it through the brain (well certain types of zombies anyways), than you do not need the high power terminal effects of large caliber rounds. All you need is something powerful enough to penetrate the skull. With the smaller rounds like the .22LR, you can carry lots of them and still be just as lethal to zombies as you would with a .30cal rifle, but being able to carry lots more ammunition.

I agree with the MP5 comment. Something with a little more heft than a .22 and full auto capabilities would be better for suppressing hordes. Max Brooks' guide kind of sucks, actually. I found at least four points in the beginning of the book where he nullified his own advice. :rolleyes: Also his praise for the .22 is irritating; a .22 is alright for varmint hunting and putting holes in paper, but it doesn't possess the mythological powers he endows it in his writing. It's damned hard to be precise when suddenly approached by a horde of zombies in the dark without a flashlight.

If you want a nice semiauto survival rifle, I'd grab a Ruger PC9 or PC4 carbine. 10/22 pattern using Ruger P-series magazines. If M1 Carbines were a bit more easy to find, that would be a fun gun, too. Too bad the PC carbines don't exist in airsoft form and the only M1 Carbines out there are teh suck.

Ooh, ooh, and how about a Mini-14? Similar small-caliber problem as the M16, but at least ammo would be easy to find. And it's the choice of the A-Team. :D

Personally, I'd love to see someone release a Marui shell-system full metal Remington 870. THAT would be my zombie-killing weapon of choice.

Actually, now that I think about it. I would actually want an m16 over an M4. Reasoning being that when you are backed in a corner with zombie breath in your face, you can attach a bayonet and have a bit longer reach with it. Plus you have the full stock to bash some heads in.
You'd probably be better off with an AK74 then, the M16 really isn't meant for heavy melee. It'll work a few times, but I'd imagine a mostly solid wood stock would do better than a hollow plastic stock.
You'd probably be better off with an AK74 then, the M16 really isn't meant for heavy melee. It'll work a few times, but I'd imagine a mostly solid wood stock would do better than a hollow plastic stock.

Yeah probably, I'll get the AK that comes with it's own bayonet. Which one is it? The Chinese kind, I am a total AK noob. Anyways, that kind would probably be perfect for my needs. :)

Makes sense about shooting zombies in the head with small caliber rounds.

I was thinking explosive 7.62 rounds - just one shot to the torso and blow them to hell. When fighting a zombie horde I'm not too keen on trying to aim for the head, I'd be aiming for center of mass.

If headshots only is the case, though, then I would prefer a .45. I don't know why but I've never been a big fan of the 9mm, and the .22LR just doesn't seem like it would get the job done against zombie hordes. Perhaps a typewriter would do the job, or maybe a UMP.

Either way, my back up would definitely be a Mk.23, but instead of a LAM it would be an uber-bright flashlight, with UV. I'm thinking I Am Legend :P

type 56? that's 7.62. 5.45 would be better for zombie killing IMO. plus it's a spike bayo, the last thing you want is your gun stuck in a zombie when a horde is coming towards you. much better IMO t have an AK74 with a bayo, at least then you have slicing power too as well as a general purpose knife.

and why molotovs? honestly, theoretically fire will do bugger all to zombies other than make them even nastier should you be within biting range. home made nailbombs on the other hand would make for good crowd clearing devices. surround a grenade or homebrew explosive with nails, ball bearings and anything else metal that could make a nice hole in a zombie then wrap it in masking tape.

Hmmmmmmm, Depends, if it was the sort of zombies in Shaun of the dead... i would lock myself on the roof of a building with any other survivors, and use an M82A1... LOL if the zombies were 28 days later style, i would have to say SR25k with M203 and an unlimited supply of grenades and ammo...

You want the spike bayonet because you want to stab their face to get at the brain. I'd have my own utility knife for general purpose use, I carry them with me already anyways. Although I could have sworn I saw a 5.45mm AK with a bayonet, I may have been mistaken.

Obviously, I think we are taking about different zombies. Different zombies require different tools.

You want the spike bayonet because you want to stab their face to get at the brain. I'd have my own utility knife for general purpose use, I carry them with me already anyways. Although I could have sworn I saw a 5.45mm AK with a bayonet, I may have been mistaken.

Obviously, I think we are taking about different zombies. Different zombies require different tools.

i'd rather have a short, sturdy blade for face stabbing personally, less chance of it going too far and getting stuck. and come to think of it i think there is a 5.45, but the only one i remember seeing is an underfolder. russian sidefolders are much better.

edit: i suppose theres nowt stopping you modding a folding SKS blade bayo to fit a ruskie AK :D best of both worlds

Ok, new project for me: find or create a Ruger 10/22 GBB or AEG.

Thinking of bases, the KJW MKII GBB Sniper seems to be a fitting base. I'm sure one could strip it down to bare-bones and fit on a Ruger 10/22 Tactical stock and possibly barrel. I don't know much about the actual airsoft gun, but since it probably takes the mags from the pistol itself, maybe one could fit a real 10/22 mag into the magwell and have it just for show?

this has turned into all the other zombie loadout threads :(.

on the subject of the original topic I don't tend to think of 'Zombie' guns as anything particularly tactical or even sensible, what I love in zed movies and games or survival type films in general is when the heroes bust out classical or iconic and ultimately quirky weaponry with a cool factor to it that is often surprisingly effective (at least for the sake of cinematic awesomeness).

Old lever-action rifles and shotguns, old pump actions, old school revolvers and automatics, thompsons and grease guns, heck even the marine in alien pulling out a 20th/21st century shotgun as 'backup' instead of his pulse rifle shows how using something retro to take on a non-human enemy in a survival film is damn cool :D.

other quirky more modern stuff you see in films and games is also appealing, like there was a Vampire hunter mod for Half Life which had a revolver modified to take shotgun rounds (incidentally in Blade Trinity one character has a Raging bull modified in this way). I think whether the weapon is particularly old or not its better for them to be weapons which in any apocolyptical situation would be more readily available to average civvies (in most cases this does mean older models than what the contemporary military are using.)

so yeah old/retro, quirky, cool-factor guns are the way to go with anti zombie stuff in my opinion.

shortlist:

M3 Greasegun

Smith & Wesson M76 (SMG that The Joker uses on the Batpod in "The Dark Knight")

Sten

Sterling

Customised Ruger Mini-M14

Winchester 1894 Rifle

Winchester Model 1873 Rifle

Winchester Model 1892 Rifle/"Mare's Leg" Custom Shorty

Winchester 1866 "Yellow Boy"

Winchester Model 1897 Shotgun (Pump) 'Trenchgun'

Winchester Model 1887 Shotgun (Terminator 2 Lever-Action)

Ruger MKII .22LR

Browning Buckmark Camper .22LR

Ruger 10/22

Remington Model 7600

Zombie Killer Raging Bull (Shotgun)

Armsel/Sentinel Arms Stryker Shotgun (Shortened like El Mariachi's?)

'Volcanic' Pistol

edit; my mistake, the shotgun revolver in Blade is a S&W 610, but the idea would be cool with any large caliber revolver.

I'm from the school of thought that says... "If you're going to be defending yourself from zombies, or hunting zombies for that matter, a shotgun, a pistol, and a flashlight with spare batteries are all you need."

Preferably a reliable pump action shotgun rather than a semi-automatic which could jam when needed most. A Remington 870 12 ga. would be quite perfect. As far as the pistol goes, take your pick but it should be something reliable with common and easy to find ammunition. I'd go for a Kimber 1911 or a Glock in 9mm or .45 myself.

And then there's the flashlight matter... ideally you'd have a Surefire 618FA on the 870 and a Insight/Streamlight M3 or M6 on the pistol so you'd have instant access to a flashlight at all times when shooting.

That said, the airsoft industry really needs to get off it's butt and make a reliable and decently powerful shell ejecting 870! Tanaka had a great idea but they made the internals so weak that I've never seen one last more than a few months of regular use before breaking beyond all repair.

And the Maruzen one, while quite cool and reasonably priced, is pathetically low powered and only suitable for CQB engagements. I still plan to buy one anyway come spring, but for now the only reliable 870 shotgun option is a Maruzen spring powered single shot CA870 and full metal G&P versions. But as much as I love the CA870 we really could use a good multi-shot 870.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be shell ejecting, I'd be happy with an 870 that had the Marui tri-shot spring system or the Marushin/ACM M500 gas system. Just give me a reliable 870 that shoots at a decent power level and fires more than 1 BB at a time!

My last gripe here is that G&P really needs to get off their butts and make a better Surefire 618FA replica! I mean, their Surefire M500 flashlight foregrip replica for M4s is almost perfect looking and has the proper "on/off" button switches. But the 870 foregrip just has two tape switches, improper color/texture on the underside of the grip (should be gray), and doesn't even have the proper "on/off" button switches like a real one would have. And the strike head bezel is kinda lame too.

Maybe I'll just have to shell out $250 or so for a real Surefire grip and modify it to fit at some point, but it does bug me that G&P made their Surefire M4 grip spot on and totally half arsed their Surefire 870 foregrip.

But yeah... shotgun, pistol, and flashlight/s. That's pretty much all you need IMHO ^_^

Why are so many people suggesting grenade launchers?

Do you people know how a grenade launcher kills people? It fires grenades, which kill in one of several ways:

1) Explosions create an overpressure causing internal organ damage and suchlike. Will do nothing to zombies.

2) Shrapnel from fragmentation grenades tear into vital organs and cause massive blood loss. Will do nothing to zombies, as the chances of a brain hit are incredibly low.

3) Incendiary or phosphorus rounds burn the victim(s) to death. Will result in you now being attacked by burning zombies. How has your situation improved?

4) You could load the 40mm launcher with one of the various flechette rounds available. These kill people in essentially the same way as the shrapnel in point two. Hence will be able as effective against the zombie hordes.

Why are so many people suggesting grenade launchers?

Do you people know how a grenade launcher kills people? It fires grenades, which kill in one of several ways:

1) Explosions create an overpressure causing internal organ damage and suchlike. Will do nothing to zombies.

2) Shrapnel from fragmentation grenades tear into vital organs and cause massive blood loss. Will do nothing to zombies, as the chances of a brain hit are incredibly low.

3) Incendiary or phosphorus rounds burn the victim(s) to death. Will result in you now being attacked by burning zombies. How has your situation improved?

4) You could load the 40mm launcher with one of the various flechette rounds available. These kill people in essentially the same way as the shrapnel in point two. Hence will be able as effective against the zombie hordes.

Max Brooks isn't the only person to write about zombies. Although the vignette with the early military action is one of the better parts of the book. :)

What's that got to do with how effective a grenade launcher will be against the living dead?

As I said in my first post here - if you assume that the zombies are the traditional type that can only be killed by destroying the brain, then area-effect weapons are of no real value.

If you're talking infected "zombies" which are actually still alive, then all normal lethal weapons will be effective, as the living infected can be killed by blood loss and still need vital organs to function.

Archived