Shotgun Picture Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wastelander- a gas-operated, semi-auto APS shell shotgun feeding from Saiga magazines, and with interchangeable barrel length. Full build log here.      

Couldn't be happier right now.

Build log is over in Project Suggestions if anyone's interested.  

Posted Images

Thought I'd revive this thread with a picture update on my winter Maruzen CA870 project ^_^

It's still quite a work in progress, as I'm waiting on a few things to come in the mail for it before I can put it all together and finish it, but this should give you a rough idea of where I'm going with it...

Jins870TacticalWorkInProgress.jpg

And here's the stuff I'm still waiting for to show up in the mail...

- Maruzen CA870 Sawed Off (the guts for the whole thing, it's still just a shell right now)

- Trijicon/Scattergun Tech tritium 3 dot Ghost Ring Sights (having a local friend with a machine shop install them)

- Aimpoint Micro T-1 replica from Dragon Red

- G&P MP5 Flashlight Head (replacing the current strike bezel head with a more realistic rounded non-strike head)

That's pretty much it!

I'm also pondering the idea of getting the barrel ported Vang-Comp style but I'm almost thinking that might make it look a little busy and I'd have to find out how much my local buddy with a machine shop would charge for the porting... It'd probably be a lot more than I want to pay :lol:

But yeah, hoping to have this beast done and skirmish ready within the next 2 weeks or so. I'll be sure to post some pics when it's finished, should really look the business when it's all done I think! ^_^

Edited by Jin15

Hello all,

I'm getting really interested in the Airsoft Surgeon Slug Shot shotguns. I'm planning on getting a standard 4 round 870, and then get a Hogue pistol grip and TacStar sidesaddle. From there, I'm ditching the slugs and going with the buckshot rounds.

Does anybody have experience with these shotguns?

The shells require a lot of care to keep them from leaking and to get them to fire reliably. The buckshot has pretty limited range but any target is good as dead out to 25 feet or so. The gun itself is just a slightly modified Tanaka M870.

Can the shells handle red gas, or would green gas be best?

Bloodsword, yes! The shotgun is based off a springer CA870 and the foregrip is a G&P Surefire replica flashlight foregrip ^_^

The gun is still far from done, but hopefully within the next week or so I'll be able to get everything remaining for it in the mail and take in to the shop to have the Trijicon ghost ring sights installed.

Mainspire, while I do not own one myself I have heard nothing but horrible things about the Tanaka and Airsoft Surgeon modified Tanaka 870s. The externals look fantastic but apparently the internals are really poorly designed and certain key internal parts are made out of some very weak metal and plastic. I've talked with somewhere between half a dozen and a dozen Tanaka & Airsoft Surgeon modified Tanaka 870 owners and every single one had their gun break beyond repair from regular light use within the first 6 months of ownership.

I have yet to meet someone who has owned a Tanaka 870 for more than 6 months who does not horribly regret the purchase. They look great hanging on the wall but these guns were never built to a level of internal quality suitable for even light plinking.

So my advice if you want a reliable full metal shell ejector is to get a Maruzen M870 and build it up full metal with G&P parts. The power will be very weak and the range will be limited (only suitable for CQB really) but you will have a fairly reliable shell ejecting shotgun with the option to build it up full metal and customize it with all sorts of parts.

Hope that helps and saves you from throwing away $600+ on a pretty paper weight!

Hey, just wondering, do you actually own one of these shotguns? I just read Jin15's post, and that certainly wasn't encouraging. With all due respect to him, I think I need to hear the opinion of someone who actually owns one.

I have to agree with Jin on this one. He knows his stuff. Both I and a good friend from my local league have been thru the Tanaka shotguns, mine ended up in the trash <_< and his is floating around somewhere in pieces. They have a big tendency to snap.

Ill put it this way, the Tanaka shotguns are designed for collectors, not skirmishers. Hope that helped.

Yeah, my Tanaka required some pretty extreme mods to make it skirmishable and I am going to have to go even more extreme to get it to run buckshot shells.

Also, be careful putting CO2 in the Airsoft Surgeon shells.

They can handle a little squirt of CO2 but don't fill them up, they seem not to be designed for it.

I filled one of the super magnum shells with CO2 and as I put it down on the table (gently) it went off with such force that part of the casing snapped off.

Also, an 18" Tanaka was doing 700fps with CO2 in a super magnum shell so they are useless in the UK.

Yeah, my Tanaka required some pretty extreme mods to make it skirmishable and I am going to have to go even more extreme to get it to run buckshot shells.

Also, be careful putting CO2 in the Airsoft Surgeon shells.

They can handle a little squirt of CO2 but don't fill them up, they seem not to be designed for it.

I filled one of the super magnum shells with CO2 and as I put it down on the table (gently) it went off with such force that part of the casing snapped off.

Also, an 18" Tanaka was doing 700fps with CO2 in a super magnum shell so they are useless in the UK.

Baby Jesus! 700 FPS? :o

Wow.

Really, though, I have absolutely no cash for a shotty, atm. I'm too busy investing my funds into my SCAR. :P

This is all just in case I decide to get one later on.

What exactly is wrong with the Tanakas? What are the issues?

Hey, just wondering, do you actually own one of these shotguns? I just read Jin15's post, and that certainly wasn't encouraging. With all due respect to him, I think I need to hear the opinion of someone who actually owns one.

Yeah I own one, now I'm trying to sell it lol. For a skirmishable shotgun I have to suggest a ACM or Marushin 500. The Tanakas just break too easy.

Baby Jesus! 700 FPS? :o

Wow.

Tss, that it?

My Double Eagle spring shotty got chrono-ed 752 FPS. :P

Well lets just be realistic, that it actually only shoots about 260fps. :)

Since I know there are some shotgun experts around here, can this stock be fitted on a DE M56c?

(it's a M3 super 90 clone, with retractable stock)

gp_acc_385.jpg

there was a pic in the old shotgun thread where a guy had put that folding stock on a TM M3 Shorty by attaching it to the standard TM pistol grip through the hole where the rear sling loop goes. I PM'd him and asked him how he did it but never got a reply, I don't think he's a very active member :(, at least not any more. At some point I plan on buying one and giving it a go.