Shotgun Picture Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wastelander- a gas-operated, semi-auto APS shell shotgun feeding from Saiga magazines, and with interchangeable barrel length. Full build log here.      

Couldn't be happier right now.

Build log is over in Project Suggestions if anyone's interested.  

Posted Images

question for you guys. i just watched myself some magpul dynamics shotgunary and i have a changed viewpoint. obviously now i want to go shell ejecting...

anyway, are the maruzen shotgun shells the same size as real ones?

i'm basically thinking of manufacturing my own shells for as cheap as possible so i dont feel bad about loosing them and this will make the difference between basing them on a spent hull for reloading purposes (after a quick look at pricing, 20 bucks for 200 hulls is an awesome price) or making a mold for some self made hulls to base it on.

other than that, just some general chat about it and maybe i can make them for you guys so i can have some extra fundage for my own M1100 build. im just willing to spend on the R&D about making your own shells. and in the end, if its simple enough, sharing the plan to those that also have the capacity to manufacture them is fine with me.

the goal, from what i can tell makes them up, as i dont have any maruzen shells to look at, i may be able to build them for less than a quarter apiece.

i want to make a shell that can be used just once or a few times if you have the opportunity to pick them up. or even unlimited times if the real hulls can be used, yet still be cheap as *fruitcage* so you dont feel bad, at all, when you run your shottie outside without a shell catcher so you can utilize the ammo type changeover techniques. mostly because they are cool looking and gucci awesomesauseness is what we (expensive shotgun users) are about.

but i guess the first real question is, how far of a distance can you make an accurate shot with a maruzen based gas shotgun with one bb loaded in the shell as apposed to the effective range of using a shell with multiple BBs? half the reason i want to do this is because i just want to do a slug changeover and have it be more effective than just running multi bb shells all day. the other reason is i want to build an M1100 and dont want to pay through the *albatross* to build a shell count usable in a scrimmage situation and then possibly lose them all the time and i hate the way shell catchers look.

anyway, im not sure if we should do a total discussion here, or on another thread, but lets keep this saturated with pics. i just want to know the answers to my 2 questions for now. that will let me decide if i want to fallow through or not and in the event i do, ill make another topic.

Edited by Horsem4n

Firstly, no, maruzen shells are a proprietery size. You wouldn't be able to make them out of RS shlls, 12bore or 16bore.

Even then you'd have to build the inner barrel into EVERY SINGLE shell. Making your own shells is a PITA unless you have some serious manufacturing kit.

Secondly the hop unit on the maruzen shotgun is in the barrel, not in the shell. This means that once you set it up you either get poor range with the buckshot or your slugshot goes up into the sky.

The hop unit is also very crude as its, you know, a shotgun. The "slugshot" would not be accurate enough to effectively engage a point target with a single shot at any more range than you could get to with the "buckshot".

Your best bet is to pick a load and set the gun up to shoot that load at as long range as possible.

I used to handload my 1100's for different loads, and a single slugshot won't work at range.

You cannot adjust the hop, and even when using a .40g bb, they still overhop something silly and sail up at around 8 metres, so no long range shooting there...

This was on green gas at 400 fps (a redwolf/Clarence lei custom), and it would chuck 8 bb's for 30+ metres with a he'll of a spread, but you had to mix ammo weights to get anything close to a decent pattern.

Also, shell changeover is a pita, as there is no magazine block to stop the next shell from reaching the lifter, and you cannot ghost load m1100's either, due to the design (the shell doesnt get pushed forward into the barrel like a real semi auto).

A noble idea, and I hope you can sort it, but I feel you may be p**sing in the wind, and that's without all the inherent reliability problems these guns have!

Edited because autocorrect is silly!

Edited by shmook

I forgot to say this in my first post but you can sort different spreads with different weight ammo. For example 8 x .2g BBs is the same weight as 4 x .4g BBs. Now I'm certain that they don't scale in sequence so you will have to adjust your loads to suit your gun, but I can see you having "birdshot" and "buckshot" loads, even if you can't have slugshot

Well, that's disappointing. But I feel I can sort my own problems with the gun. What I need to know is what makes up the shell and how it functions with the weapon.

Plastic case.

metal rim at the back.

6mm tube through the middle (must be dead centre)

rubber pieces at front and back to make a good air-seal and to keep the BBs in place until it fires.

might they be 10 guage? Just a thought, but I too agree. This is a very bad/silly Idea, the gun has MANY other inherent problems than just losing shells.

They are SMALLER than 12bore, not larger.

I had a picture a while ago of a maruzen shell with a 12bore and 20bore, the maruzen was in the middle, similar in size to a 16bore. I know someone tried to use 16bore brass to make shells for the maruzen gun but it didn't feed well at all and 16 bore is really quite rare.

PS why do Americans insist on calling it "guage" when it has been "bore" for several hundred years?

PS why do Americans insist on calling it "guage" when it has been "bore" for several hundred years?

They insist on mis-pronouncing and mis-spelling things too. Nowt really we can do about that either.

Since the gauge/bore thing seems to annoy you, I propose everyone start calling them "twelfth-pounders" just for the lols. :P

They insist on mis-pronouncing and mis-spelling things too. Nowt really we can do about that either.

Since the gauge/bore thing seems to annoy you, I propose everyone start calling them "twelfth-pounders" just for the lols. :P

That makes it sound like a cannon, as the bore rating goes above one pound of lead. for example "four pounder" cannon would have a bore the size of a ball made from four pounds of lead.

Actually...

That sounds awesome.

I'm going to start kicking in doors carrying my pump action twelfth-pound cannon. ^.^

thanks for the info guys, I'm going to start hunting around for a used setup and get going on this.

The reason us Americans say gauge is simply because of perpetuated ignorance. I was born and raised hearing them called gauge, and I imagine that it was the same way for past generations. I didn't know until now that it was wrong.

Edited by Horsem4n

Uh, well, seeing as there is no dedicated Shotgun Picture comment thread... I don't really see the issue. Sure, its a picture thread, but you are allowed to discuss the matter of the pictures as well. Just my 0.02 :) (I would post a shotgun picture, but I don't have any of mine yet...)

That makes it sound like a cannon, as the bore rating goes above one pound of lead. for example "four pounder" cannon would have a bore the size of a ball made from four pounds of lead.

I honestly don't know why it wasn't that way before, seeing as the numbering system is the same for shotguns and artillery. :rolleyes:

Slightly OT: I really want a go on my friend's dad's Lee-Enfield No4 that is converted to a bolt action shotty in 20 bore. (sorry, twentieth pound ;) )