Shotgun Picture Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wastelander- a gas-operated, semi-auto APS shell shotgun feeding from Saiga magazines, and with interchangeable barrel length. Full build log here.      

Couldn't be happier right now.

Build log is over in Project Suggestions if anyone's interested.  

Posted Images

No worry, slap in short mags and all is forgiven.

I've only got one short mag :(

This actually worked out really well in practice, because my M1100 is at the stage of near perpetual jams so this way I always had a gun ready to fire. Eventually I plan to make a semiautomatic double barrel, which will be hilarious.

• 4 weeks later...

Scope and black furniture was for a joke, no worries guys. And Grindstone, its a Maruzen shotgun, which in my opinion is infinitely superior to a Tanaka. I'm still trying to figure out my setup with it,

In CQB I'm probably going to keep it like the middle picture, because I'm too lazy to convert it to my pistol gripped top folding stock. For field games I'll probably put it back to full wood content with the RIS. With no sights on it, Its really going to need something to help me aim things in, probably some MP7 flipup sights which I have lying around. I'd get some ghost ring sights, but I'd really like to keep all of my modifications reversible.

While I won't have much time to shoot it until tomorrow, I can tell you, the airsoft surgeon upgrade is totally worth it. With green gas I'm getting 10 pellets out as far as I need it for CQB.

• Like 1

Scope and black furniture was for a joke, no worries guys. And Grindstone, its a Maruzen shotgun, which in my opinion is infinitely superior to a Tanaka. I'm still trying to figure out my setup with it,

In CQB I'm probably going to keep it like the middle picture, because I'm too lazy to convert it to my pistol gripped top folding stock. For field games I'll probably put it back to full wood content with the RIS. With no sights on it, Its really going to need something to help me aim things in, probably some MP7 flipup sights which I have lying around. I'd get some ghost ring sights, but I'd really like to keep all of my modifications reversible.

While I won't have much time to shoot it until tomorrow, I can tell you, the airsoft surgeon upgrade is totally worth it. With green gas I'm getting 10 pellets out as far as I need it for CQB.

Airsoft Surgeon works on Maruzens? That's awesome, I thought he only did Tanakas. I have a Maruzen in pretty rough shape that I have had on the back-burner for a while. I agree, the Maruzen has the best basic concept for a gas shotty. I just wish the execution was better. My loader is broken and the slide locks constantly. I am planning on making a new loader and replacing all the o-rings and rigging it for external HPA/CO2, but I haven't really gone anywhere past planning for the better part of a year.

A warehouse CQB place recently opened up a few blocks from my home, so it's kind of giving me some better motivation to see the project through.

Do you know what the Surgeon did, exactly?

Airsoft Surgeon works on Maruzens? That's awesome, I thought he only did Tanakas. I have a Maruzen in pretty rough shape that I have had on the back-burner for a while. I agree, the Maruzen has the best basic concept for a gas shotty. I just wish the execution was better. My loader is broken and the slide locks constantly. I am planning on making a new loader and replacing all the o-rings and rigging it for external HPA/CO2, but I haven't really gone anywhere past planning for the better part of a year.

A warehouse CQB place recently opened up a few blocks from my home, so it's kind of giving me some better motivation to see the project through.

Do you know what the Surgeon did, exactly?

The upgrade is $145 and includes a new valve, valve spring, and hammer spring. Its totally worth it on their M870's but not at all worth the time on the M1100s. With the upgrade I can shoot 10bbs farther than my stock M870 can shoot 5.

Also, a while back I emailed redwolf about getting in maruzen parts, and they claimed that if you emailed them the part number, they'd try to get it in stock, so that may be worth your time for a new loader.

Edited by notrabies
  • Like 1

Wow, thank you so much for the information!

Any idea where I can get a parts diagram? Only hits I get are for the springer.

Replacing the loader would at least get me over the biggest hurdle so far. The only real problem I would have left is the pump lock. It constantly sets and I can't figure out what's wrong with it.

Part of my project idea was to build a crude hop up by drilling a hole in the top of the inner barrle, stuffing a piece of rubber (probably TM style rubber) and putting a small grub screw in the top of the outerbarrel to push down. I wasn't sure if it'd work or just cock the whole thing up, though.

No idea about the diagram, I've searched a few times with no luck and my shottie did not come with one.

Also, the hopup might be a bad idea, because the barrel does already have a fixed hopup that works pretty well in my opinion. When it was working, were you using green gas or HFC134a? Green gas gives me pretty nice results on my stock M870 with a .2g, although I certainly wish I had an adjustable one on there. But if your gun isn't working there's no reason not to give it a shot anyways. One thing you may want to try before you do anything drastic is to remove the inner barrel, clean it, and when you put it back in make sure its aligned properly. Because of the fixed hopup a misaligned barrel would send your shots to the left or right quite horribly.

It's been a while since I last stripped it down. I haven't shot it since. I used propane the few times I did shoot it, and it seemed to handle 50' very well, with the 6 bbs starting to spread at the 40-45' mark. The gas chamber leaked something awful where it connects to the gun itself, but that's easily fixed. I wasn't aware there was a fixed hopup. I'll have to take a closer look this time. Thanks for all the help. I'm going to send an email to Redwolf tonight.

I compared the barrels on my old and new M870s and both had a hopup, its a spring holding a bit of rubber into the barrel, here's a terrible picture:

20111110142507729.jpg

If you are successful with Redwolf, post up a new thread. A lot of people are in need of M870 shell lifters as no shop has ever carried them that I know of.

• 3 weeks later...