Painted Weapons Picture Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So im planning my first paint job to be performed on my m4 and I am going for the desert camo look but I have a question regarding the rifle accessories.

I recently purchased an Aimpoint replica with trades and a replica Wilcox mount with trades from Airsoft Global but im not to sure if I want to paint over the markings (yes, I am a trades slut!)

Will the rifle look stupid without these painted? I was thinking that perhaps a sand coloured rubber Aimpoint cover might improve the look. Maybe I could buy a cheap ACOG and have that painted instead.

I also have a VFC PEQ 2 on its way (which I am happy to have painted) but would it look better if I apply the stickers first then paint it or paint it first and then apply the stickers.

Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by chris u'5
So im planning my first paint job to be performed on my m4 and I am going for the desert camo look but I have a question regarding the rifle accessories.

I recently purchased an Aimpoint replica with trades and a replica Wilcox mount with trades from Airsoft Global but im not to sure if I want to paint over the markings (yes, I am a trades slut!)

Will the rifle look stupid without these painted? I was thinking that perhaps a sand coloured rubber Aimpoint cover might improve the look. Maybe I could buy a cheap ACOG and have that painted instead.

I also have a VFC PEQ 2 on its way (which I am happy to have painted) but would it look better if I apply the stickers first then paint it or paint it first and then apply the stickers.

The Aimpoint will look dumb with unpainted trademarks. Go get a G&P Aimpoint and paint that. As for the PEQ, I'd keep it unpainted, or put a light dusting of whatever main color your camouflage is using over it, stickers and all.

imho A peq2 painted with unpainted stickers would look very silly indeed. I do not believe that operators are supplied with a peq2 and a little packet of stickers.

And if you're worried about painting over one of those aimpoints with the dreadful white trades on the side, don't be. aimpoints don't have thick white pasty letters all over them, and replicas benefit from a lick of paint immensely.

Okay, what are you going for? A pimped out range gun or are you going for a weapons impression, for says Seals (Wilcox mount/M2, AN/PEQ seems to undicate it).

Would a SEAL care about the markings? If you are going for an impression your only choice is to paint the whole thing (gun)...

So you bought a reproduction Aimpoint, and a repro mount. I bet the markings don't look like the real deal, at least the aimpoint repros with markings ive seen arent even close to the real Aimpoint M2 (M68 CCO) i've seen, so forget the markings. Also - the wilcox mount will still look like a wilcox mount, and the aimpoint will still look like an aimpoint (even though none of them are), odds are that if you keep the markings people will recognise them as fake.

concerning the AN/PEQ, i dont see a reason to even put the stickers on - i didnt. Why? If i were a real soldier painting my real gun I'd first remove the pesky stickers...

And no, you are not a trades slut. If you were you would buy the real deal.

I have real deal eotech, surefire and so on attached to my M4 (see page 101), and i couldnt care less if my markings show or not (even though the SF does), because the people that care knows the difference...

Okay, what are you going for? A pimped out range gun or are you going for a weapons impression, for says Seals (Wilcox mount/M2, AN/PEQ seems to undicate it).

Would a SEAL care about the markings? If you are going for an impression your only choice is to paint the whole thing (gun)...

So you bought a reproduction Aimpoint, and a repro mount. I bet the markings don't look like the real deal, at least the aimpoint repros with markings ive seen arent even close to the real Aimpoint M2 (M68 CCO) i've seen, so forget the markings. Also - the wilcox mount will still look like a wilcox mount, and the aimpoint will still look like an aimpoint (even though none of them are), odds are that if you keep the markings people will recognise them as fake.

concerning the AN/PEQ, i dont see a reason to even put the stickers on - i didnt. Why? If i were a real soldier painting my real gun I'd first remove the pesky stickers...

And no, you are not a trades slut. If you were you would buy the real deal.

I have real deal eotech, surefire and so on attached to my M4 (see page 101), and i couldnt care less if my markings show or not (even though the SF does), because the people that care knows the difference...

I really appreciate your opinion dude.

In regards to the look im going for you are correct in suggesting im going for a Seals weapon impression.

Obviously a Seal wouldnt care about the trades but to be honest the only real reason that I purchased that particular Aimpoint and mount were for the trades so I am slightly reluctant to paint them.

The trades on the Aimpoint are very crisp and clear but they are not accurate as they are white.

However everything you said makes sense and I am being stupid, I will take your advice.

Thanks fella!

Hi Tom,

Good to hear from you, I hope you are keeping well.

Im still lovin' the jacket by the way!

I have actually found a few pictures recently to support what you are saying.

There was one picture in particular on Military Photos of a soldier with a seriously worn m4 with what looks like a brand new ACOG!

Im sure these guys change there optics quite regularly.

Thanks for your opinion Tom.

Take care,

Chris

Brilliant as always my friend!

Im gathering up some photos as reference for my first paint job, do you mind if I add those pictures to the collection?

Thanks.

Thanks, feel free to use them as a reference.

Best paintjob yet Souske. ;)

Haha, some would argue otherwise. It's probably the best "worn" painted gun look I've done to date though...but not much in terms of a 'pattern' like my previous works.

Thanks for the comments everyone else.

Also finished the M203 right when the thread was locked and then reopened.

m4m203anglesidejt1.jpg

p1010191jl0.jpg

p1010194ye0.jpg

p1010190zw0.jpg

m4m203anglesideoppvt8.jpg

Edited by Souske