Painted Weapons Picture Thread

I figured this was a good a place as any to ask this question...

I've got a "Dark Earth" SCAR and I want to paint it black, I've already got the Krylon, and a place to paint it... and I know the technique for actually putting the paint on the gun...

But is there anything I need to do to the gun itself before I paint it? (Besides isolate the areas I'm not painting)

like, do i need a quick wipe of paint thinner or anything?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a "Dark Earth" SCAR and I want to paint it black, I've already got the Krylon, and a place to paint it... and I know the technique for actually putting the paint on the gun...

But is there anything I need to do to the gun itself before I paint it? (Besides isolate the areas I'm not painting)

Yeah,a quick wipe with Thinner or an Equivalent (I use a bit of White Spirit) and then a short Dry Wiping would be good, to get rid of Fat/Oil Stains.

Edited by FallenGuard

As yu are painting this Black rather than camo you would get better long term results using a permanant paint rather than Krylon, which will wear of in no time.

Site,

As it stands now you should either repaint with Matt paints or use Matt varnish. Better to repaint it as you'll need to thin any varnish to spray it or you'll leave ugly paintbrush strokes etc if you brush it on. You could try thinning the varnish to prevent brush stroke but you might lose some of the Matt effect.

Edited by Tommygunn

Matt varnish will work, precisely why it is Matt varnish.

Personally I wouldn't bother lacquering/varnishing it. If it is your battle rifle then it is a waste of time as it will wear away in all the same places as the paint will - bit longer mind.

Do like the real soldiers do and just whack the paint on and leave it at that.

Edited by Tommygunn