VFC KAC PDW Review

Acronym Heaven!!!

VFC KAC PDW

$465+shipping from HK (you can get 10% off till Jan. from wgcshop)

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

Included Accessories

* M4 QD Silencer

* 120 Rds Magazine

* Short Type Fore Grip

* PEQ Battery Case

* 8 Inch & 10 Inch Inner/Outer Barrels

* (3) KAC rail Panels

* Front/Rear Flip Up Sights

EXTERNALS 9/10

The Good.

The PDW externals are very impressive. All the seems are tight and the fit and finish is second to none. The upper is comprised of one solid piece. The outer barrel assembly free of any movement and is secured to the upper by two large bolts. The folding stock is very solid when engaged and is also secure when the stock is folded. The charging handle and bolt release function is the best I have seen yet, and does not interfere with combining the upper receiver to the gearbox/lower receiver. Both front and rear sights are quality pieces and give a decisive "click" when used. The ambi-selector is very sturdy and does not have much play.

The Bad

I found the mag catch to be very picky in what magazines it secures, which lead to magazines falling out. I have already replaced it with another one I had laying around which cured the problem.

Use of an external battery is mandatory. (PEQ case is included)

PEQ-2 is too large for the AEG (IMHO)-which is why I am using the new Vanaras PEQ15 combined with a 11.1v 900mah lipo.

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

INTERNALS-8/10

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

The Good:

The hop unit had a very good seal and let little air out when both ends where plugged and I blew through the hole where the bb's enter. The bucking was also very nice and was made of quality rubber.

The gearbox itself was shimmed perfectly and is comprised of metal spring guide with washers/bearing washers. The spring guide also has a bolt at the rear which when tightened secures the spring guide to the gearbox half which keeps the spring guide, spring and the compression parts from flying out when the gearbox is opened. The gearbox also has quality gears with "spring shims", beefy anti-reversal latch with a sturdy spring, decent piston with the "high speed tooth modification". Proper feeding is also helped with the addition of a "sector chip" The compression parts (piston head, cylinder, cylinder head, nozzle) gave PERFECT compression!!!! The cylinder looks to be very similar to the guarder "black chrome" cylinders. The wiring is also very impressive with its higher quality "QD" fittings half way between the gearbox and the battery plug.

The Bad:

Aluminum piston head. Others might disagree with this being classified as "bad" but I have not had good experiences with aluminum piston heads.

Qwirky external selector gears and ami-selector setup.

PERFORMANCE 9/10

The Good:

Right out the box t he PDW shot 370fps consistently, which makes the AEG legal at all fields. What most surprised me was the INSANE range and accuracy the AEG had out of the box. The bb's just floated along which surprised EVERYONE on the field. Even with a 11.1v lipo the PDW feed every single round without missing a beat, thanks the the modded piston and sector chip.

The Bad:

The motor needed to be adjusted a bit but as soon as it was the PDW sounded GREAT!!!

CONCLUSION

I am VERY pleased with this PDW. The externals are beautiful and it gives you the option of running a 10"outer/inner barrel or a 8" outer/inner barrel with or without the use of the suppressor. Although the internals are not perfect many parts are a welcomed surprise such as the:pre-modded piston, sector chip, spring shims, metal spring guide with washers, etc which make the PDW a great performer out of the box. I am more than satisfied with my purchase.

RANDOM INFO

The VFC PDW Mags are TINY compared to the standard M4 mag. Here is a picture of the VFC mag compared to a "PDW Style" M4 mag. Yes the PDW mag takes M4 mags.

TEARDOWN.

Remove motor cover, motor and pistol grip.

Remove front pin.

Detach upper receiver from the lower receiver/gearbox by holding the lower and sliding off the upper receiver.

Slide retainer clip to the the rear and remove from lower receiver.

Remove lower receiver lock pin

Remove right side selector lever

Remove left side selector lever cover which is inscribed "KAC"

Remove left side selector lever

Remove bolt catch pin & bolt catch.

Remove magazine catch by pushing the right side magazine catch butten all the way into the receiver and turning the magazine catch counter clockwise.

Remove gearbox

Remove motor cover, motor and pistol grip.

Edited by Ukau
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1) Yes. The Magpul PTS M-Version PMAGs fit well in my Dboys PDW. 2) You will need a long-type motor. 3) Hopefully these will help...         -Ex

Sup Ukau very good review glad you like the gun. VFC does a phenomenal job capturing the essence and feel of the RS counter part. I smile every time I look at my 416.

post more picks man...

As soon as I get my black Peq-15 Ill post pics with it installed. I managed to stuff both a lipo and a mosfet with active breaking into the peq unit. Its actually a slick setup. The whole thing is QD. You plug in the AEG wires into the side of the peq unit and you are done. When its time to charge just remove the peq unit and plug it into the charger!

i want this gun so bad. i have a plan to also add a voltage meter to the PEQ15 along with the stuff you already have in there and cut a wintow to see it. im just worried about the lipo.

at this point UNC and DEN have it aswell. they also have spair mags. i cannot violat this gun with standard M4 mags! its not a 5.56!

MOAR PICS WITH SAUCE!

man... its too sexy for words.

BTW, switch the forgrip around to the front of the bottom rail cover. that the KAC way.

Edited by Horsem4n
i want this gun so bad. i have a plan to also add a voltage meter to the PEQ15 along with the stuff you already have in there and cut a wintow to see it. im just worried about the lipo.

at this point UNC and DEN have it aswell. they also have spair mags. i cannot violat this gun with standard M4 mags! its not a 5.56!

MOAR PICS WITH SAUCE!

man... its too sexy for words.

BTW, switch the forgrip around to the front of the bottom rail cover. that the KAC way.

There is no point for a voltage meter. It only reads when the trigger is engaged. If the trigger is engaged you are shooting bb's. If you are shooting bb's how could you monitor the display on the side of your peq unit? As far as the foregrip, I position it where its comfortable for me not how "kac" displays it :rolleyes:

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

Edited by Ukau

UKau do you think you could fit a Li-Poly battery such as this one or this one (by cutting off the tape and fitting it to your needs) anywhere in the VFC's KAC PDW?

It look like there maybe enough room to fit in the front reciever. Remember those Li-poly are 3 pieces.

Edited by tosuzu

That tape is temporary. It's only there to keep the cells together for transit. Once you buy it you're supposed to take it off and throw it away.

I'd also like to know if there's enough space in the rail for those cells.

UKau do you think you could fit a Li-Poly battery such as this one or this one (by cutting off the tape and fitting it to your needs) anywhere in the VFC's KAC PDW?

It look like there maybe enough room to fit in the front reciever. Remember those Li-poly are 3 pieces.

That tape is temporary. It's only there to keep the cells together for transit. Once you buy it you're supposed to take it off and throw it away.

I'd also like to know if there's enough space in the rail for those cells.

Sorry guys I dont think that that battery will fit. I made a mock up of one of the cells with the dimensions that ebaybanned provided. 12cmx2cmx.05cm = 4.7"x.80"x.20"

The cell is too long and too thick to fit in the rail. My mock up is even thinner than the actual cell and I had to ram it into place. I would not even attempt that with a soft pack lithium battery. Here are some pictures. I have the battery pushed as far back in the rail as possible. The battery would be too thick to fit between the rail and the outer barrel and is too long as well.Fitting below the barrel is impossible.

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

As far as upgrades I have

11.1v 900mah battery (lasted ALL DAY?!?)

TM EG1000 motor

SP110 (418 fps) Gonna cut some coils to get sub 400fps

Mosfet w/ AB

Guarder 50% Bucking

I love the setup. Massive range with 10" barrel and insane ROF. This ones a keeper for sure! LMK if I can answer any more questions. Ukau

Edited by Ukau
Nice review mate.

I'm going to hopefully be ordering one of these this weekend.

Silly question time, will any brand of QD sling swivel fit the attachment points?

How are the mags as well? all feed fine etc?

Oh and more pics please :)

All sling swivels DO NOT WORK on the attachment point located on the lower receiver. The gearbox blocks the swivel from engaging securely. I remedied this by grinding material off the swivel itself, making it shorter. wAll swivels do however fit on the folding stock swivel receiver.

The midcaps feed well but are not securely held with the stock mag catch. Pics with the balck vanaras peq15 will follow soon. thanks

All sling swivels DO NOT WORK on the attachment point located on the lower receiver. The gearbox blocks the swivel from engaging securely. I remedied this by grinding material off the swivel itself, making it shorter. wAll swivels do however fit on the folding stock swivel receiver.

Thats abit anoying, atleast they can be made to fit though. Abit of a oversight on VFC's part not to include one with the gun though. :rolleyes:

The midcaps feed well but are not securely held with the stock mag catch.

Ah yes, I remember now you said that in you'r review, I'll add a replacement mag catch to my order.

Looking forward to seeing it with a black PEQ-15, I'm planning on using one as well.

Cheers.