VFC KAC PDW Review

I contacted RA-Tech to inquire about their modification and what it entails. They said that they could not comment as to exactly what they did to the PDW to make it work aside from that some internal work was done and that "the modification is a kind of technology". So it sounds like they've done some machining and electrical work on the inside to make it work.

Other details:

* Battery is a 7.4 Volt (two split cells) 1600 mah 15A Li-Po (as detailed in the video)

* The battery installation is not permanent. The battery can be removed and a new one put in.

* Extra batteries cost $50

* With stock internals, you get about 3,000 rounds out of the battery. If you were to upgrade the gun to 400 fps on 0.2 gram BBs (as I plan to do) you'll get about half as many rounds out of the gun (1,500 rounds).

* RA-Tech charges $615 for the VFC KAC PDW. What does that include? A.) VFC KAC PDW B.) 7.4 Volt 1600 mah 15A Li-PoBattery (but no charger) C.) VFC Quick Detach Mount D.) Shipping is included.

Is $615 a decent price? Well, their batteries cost $50 + average S&H from Asia to the US costs about $90 + the VFC QD Mount is another $10 = $150 which leaves you with $465. Now granted WGCShop has a 10% off promotion running right now which means you'll save about $46.50... but for $46.50, I'd rather have a KAC PDW with the battery on the inside than the battery on the outside. So if you consider the $46.50 as the installation fee of making the battery able to be installed internally, or you completely disregard the limited time offer for 10% off... it's actually a pretty decent price.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1) Yes. The Magpul PTS M-Version PMAGs fit well in my Dboys PDW. 2) You will need a long-type motor. 3) Hopefully these will help...         -Ex

Is ra tech using the dx version ?

would you still be able to use a mosfet or install one even after they made those mods ?

Stil though at £430 thats a bit much ?, i may wait for this to come into the uk and they buy it and make the mods myself

who will stock this in the uk and when ?

Edited by Crimson
Is ra tech using the dx version ?

Yep. I asked them to pre-configure it to the 8" shorter barrel.

would you still be able to use a mosfet or install one even after they made those mods ?

I'll know more once it arrives. It's en route as of this morning. Might get it by Friday... Monday at the latest I'm guessing.

Stil though at £430 thats a bit much ?, i may wait for this to come into the uk and they buy it and make the mods myself

Once the "WGCShop 10% off limited deal" goes away (should be only available for one more week or so), and you break down the price of the $615 that RATech is charging, it actually works out so that the modification is essentially free. The most frustrating part about the PDW is that VFC never built their gun with any intent on letting the user have a battery on the inside. Granted, they wanted the gun to be as aesthetically accurate as possible, but I still believe they could have made some modifications to the inside as RATech and others have done to make it still work with a battery. In the end I could probably have saved close to $100 if I had gone the wholesale route as originally planned, but I still would have ended up with a PDW that had it's battery on the outside. (Which knowing myself would drive me nuts).

BTW, RATech is selling the PDW magazines at below MSRP: $16 each (3 mag minimum). They normally cost $18 each. And if you spend over $200 at RATech, Express shipping is free.

Thanks for the info corps

What i mean is £ rato to $ is ###### at the moment had they released this when they said they would (a year ago) i would have been able to buy one for around £300 posted and thats a good price, now recesion its £430 for the same thing :(

for you nothing has changed ie $400 is still $400, for us in the uk its no longer the same.

So if i wait for this to come into the uk i would expect its uk price to be between £300 and £350 ish

Example:

VFC 416 is $465 in wgc (same price as pdw)

yet here in the uk its £299 in a shop

Note:

Now if i tried to import the 416 due to the ###### rates it comes to £346 with out customs and vat, wack that on and its now a £400 AEG

so even if it was cheaper than wgc etc its weak because the pound is not as strong

I plan to wait till mid jan to see who stocks it in the uk

When you get yours please show me/us how they did the mod i would like to make a video on this (of course i will credit you for your help) Then at least i can buy it in the uk

Edited by Crimson
  • 2 weeks later...

So I got the PDW a couple days ago. Wow. That's my immediate impression. I have a lot of nice guns. The PDW is possibly my new favorite. Feels rock solid, and feels very much like a RS piece. Freaking superb! And not having a battery on the outside... mmmmmm... so awesome!

From what I've seen so far, the modification that they've done is to fabricate some new parts. The primary new part is a part that replaces the rear barrel mount . I'm really impressed that they did this as the part is clearly CNC'ed and probably wasn't cheap. They also include all the original parts so that you can revert your PDW to stock form.

Here's a pic of the new part they make for you:

http://www.intrudershop.com.tw/redalert/pi...ER_for-lipo.jpg

The part in the exploded diagram is called PDW-08:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5361/pdwpartsaa3.jpg

So for $615... that's actually a really good deal considering the additional parts and labor involved as well as a good lipo, the VFC QD sling mount, and EMS shipping included.

My only gripe so far is that the charging handle seems to stick and the fake bolt is hard to reset to its forward position after being pulled back. I'm guessing it's because I asked RA-Tech to upgrade the gun to 400 fps and something might not have been seated right. Another thing is presentation. The VFC box is in pretty poor shape. The VFC box did come inside another nondescript shipping box, but it would have been nice if the PDW box had been somewhat preserved better.

How's the mosfet situation look? I couldn't imagine running a li-po on any aeg, even the PDW, w/o a moseft unless I wanted crispy contacts after a day of use...

+ 100000000000000000

Thats why I ran mine in the PEQ15 box, so I could use a mosfet. The trigger switch is gonna be FUBAR within a couple outings. My buddy ran one of his aegs with a lipo but no mosfet. You could here the arching of the switch at the end of a long weekend of playing.

Edited by Ukau
+ 100000000000000000

Thats why I ran mine in the PEQ15 box, so I could use a mosfet. The trigger switch is gonna be FUBAR within a couple outings. My buddy ran one of his aegs with a lipo but no mosfet. You could here the arching of the switch at the end of a long weekend of playing.

Have you switched out that aluminum piston head yet? Especially since you're running a li-po?

You guys seem to be forgetting that this gun is running a 7.4 volt battery (at least i think it is).

7.4 volt lipo's are basically equivalent to a decent quality 9.6. Trigger arcing isnt really a major issue with those voltages.

Click pics for larger version ~

kacpdw01buh8.jpg kacpdw03bjt2.jpg

Just with the Suppressor:

kacpdw02boy5.jpg

How I have it configured:

kacpdw04bjv4.jpg

Battle loadout:

kacpdwsetbos1.jpg

I swapped out the Rear BUIS for a KAC 200-600 Flip-Up Rear Sight. I originally had the Aimpoint T-1 Micro on a LaRue High mount, but it looked way too high. It was unusable without any high mount at all so I tried out my ADM Co-Witness Mount and it felt just right.

You guys seem to be forgetting that this gun is running a 7.4 volt battery (at least i think it is).

7.4 volt lipo's are basically equivalent to a decent quality 9.6. Trigger arcing isnt really a major issue with those voltages.

Ukau is using a 11.1v 900mah lipo to whom the question was initially intended for, guess I should've specified ;)

uscmCorps: Your PDW looks so clean w/o a PEQ box! Lucky!

• 3 weeks later...