VFC KAC PDW Review

I'm really thinking about buying this gun as my next AEG primary. But I have some lingering questions:

1. How is the paint OVER TIME? I mean, does it scratch, change color over time?

The paint does scratch in case of strong friction or nasty knocks but otherwise it's very robust and so far hasn't seemed to show any signs of premature wear...

2. Rust? For those who live in humid climates, or have gotten their PDW wet, how has it held up? Do you get any surface rust?

Got my PDW a little wet quite a few times and never worried about drying it down and I haven't noticed the slightest bit of rust externally or internally.

3. Overall reliability. What has broken for you all over the months and years? How often does it happen? And what batteries were you using when it happened

No breakage so far. However, I had some issues with the stock flash-hider, the bolt catch and the rear QD sling attachement. Only the latter is really bugging me. All the rest was easily solved.

4. Stock wobble. Initially there is none, but does it develop over time as you fold and unfold again and again? If wobble does develop, how do you solve it?

Stock is still rock solid and the design doesn't allow there to be any wobble. With time though, you might want to tighten up the hinge but that's about it...

As far as wobble goes though, I must say that the ambi selector switch is a little bit of a let down in comparison to the general finish of the gun. the hand side in particular doesn't click really nicely and tends to move around a lot...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1) Yes. The Magpul PTS M-Version PMAGs fit well in my Dboys PDW. 2) You will need a long-type motor. 3) Hopefully these will help...         -Ex

I got one of these after the Airsoft International review...

Range, ROF, FPS, build quality, infact all of it was brill. Then on the second game day, it made a rasping noise and siezed solid.

I sent it to the shop I got it from and the Post Office lost it!! (Thankfully it was insured).

I have to say, the break after only 1000 rounds put me off!

I now own a Systema 2008 Max 2 M4A1 CQB-R biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone tried swapping out the stock VFC motor on their PDW yet?

I only ask cause I just unpacked a normal M4 motor for a V.2 gearbox and it appears to be too long for the VFC PDW. As far as I know the PDW is still a V.2 gearbox so I don't really know whats up. I'll admit my AEG knowledge is limited but it seems that the short type motors won't fit the bill either.

The motor is a Systema High Torque shown below.

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

Quick question to anyone running the Ra-tech lipo conversion, Is there any other alternative to the ra-tech branded lipo batteries that will still fit in the top receiver rail ?

I'm wanting to pick a few extra batteries up but the ra-tech ones are obscenely expensive.

gahhhh, you and your authentic block 2 :P

hehe yeah man, it's not cool. :D

The VFC one is the best in my opinion since I am not about to pay $190 for the real one.

So yeah, is anyone here not using the stock front KAC Flip-up sight?

-Luis

Edited by Luis21
  • 4 weeks later...

You wouldn't happen to have any suggestions as to a decent medium type motor would you?

To be honest, I haven't really looked into alternative medium-type motors for my PDW because really happy with the stock one.

I guess Systema Magnum motors aren't bad or you could go the cheaper way by opting for a Matrix motor. Both exist in Medium length...

Good luck!

BAT_LIPO_74V_MN004_lg.jpg

RA-Tech 7.4V 40A 2000mAh Li-Po Battery Pack (Small Type) (105mm x 32mm)

Dimensions: 105mm long x 32mm wide x 9mm thick

Battery_Lipo_RAE_B03_lg.jpg

Matrix 11.1V 1600mAh 18A High Performance Airsoft Li-Poly Battery Pack (Nun-Chuck Configuration.)

Dimensions: 100 mm x 31mm x (5.4mm & 10.8mm)

Battery_Lipo_RAE_B02_lg.jpg

RA-Tech 11.1V 18A 1600mAh High Performance Airsoft Li-Poly Battery Pack (Tri-Cell Configuration.)

Dimensions: 100 mm x 31mm x 5.4 (x3) mm

BAT_LIPO_MN005_lg.jpg

RA-Tech Type 11.1V 20A 1600mAh Li-Mn Battery Pack (Nun-Chuck Type)

Dimensions: 70 mm x 16mm x (35mm & 16mm)

BAT_LIPO_74V_NunChuck_lg.jpg

RA-Tech Type 7.4V 1600mAh Li-Mn Battery Pack (Nun Chuck Type)

Dimensions: 75mm long x 16mm in diameter on each stick.

BAT_LIPO_74V_MN003_lg.jpg

RA-Tech Type 7.4V 18A 1600mAh Li-Mn Battery Pack (Stick Type)

Dimensions: 140mm long

BAT_LIPO_74V_MN002_lg.jpg

RA-Tech Type 7.4V 20A 1600mAh Li-Mn Battery Pack (Small Type)

Dimensions: 75mm long x 35mm wide x 16mm thick

All found on Evike.com, hope that helped.

• 1 month later...

Well I was thinkin more of just changing the connector on the batt only to go wit the PDW mini T's so hopefully I wouldn't have to take it apart which I prob end up messing the whole thing up:) aslong the mini T's can fit in the tiny space in the RIS then everything should be fine, cheers Reincarnation for the advices

waiyo you try the mini T's? How did it work out space wise? I've the RA-Tech lipo kit and was thinking about using mini T's too.

Also when installing the lipo do you guys have the end of the lipo with the wires pointing towards the back or the front of the gun?

• 1 month later...

has anyone compared the vfc with the dboys pdw ?

there's nothing to compare in terms of quality, only that they happen to be the same model gun.

Exteriors are no comparison between the VFC and Dboys, might as well compare apples to sun dried tomatoes in terms of looks.

VFC has amazing attention to detail, excellent stock fps that's usable (dboys I shot was over 430fps).

Internals on the VFC PDW were gorgeous, spring shimmed gears, wheres the dboys bog china standard.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I didnt want to start a new one, I have a few things I've noticed on the VFC PDW

I own two, one DX, and one 8 inch standard.

Both have different motors, one is purple, the other is silver.

one shoots amazing (purple)about 20 rps clean and smooth, the other shoots not so great (silver) about 10 rps and doesnt sound smooth. both fired using a 9.6v 1600 battery. Both guns are stock, and new.

BOTH I cannot move the motor height adjustment screws.

DX came with the the usual depicted KAC sights, versus the 8 inch standard came with KAC traded micro sights.

The better PDW is 1XXX serial number, and the other is 2XXX serial number.

Im confused. LOL.

• 1 month later...

Four of my team, myself included, own VFC PDW's. Out of the four guns I seem to be the only one with the purple VFC motor, however the ROF between all of our guns is similar depending of the batteries we use, so I can only think you have a bad motor Beserk.

Having had my PDW since they were first released and having used it as my goto primary since then, I have only had one failure that wasn't self inflicted. My bushings wore out, which I then replaced with bearings and since then it's been an absolute naildriver.

The PDW is the best gun I've ever owned, I think I'd rather die than sell it.

I've had a VFC KAC PDW for about a year now and have just got around to fitting an AWS Raptor FET… http://www.awsairsoft.com/

Fit was pretty simple with almost no modifying needing to be done, just some filing of the selector plate. The FET trigger unit drops straight in to the gearbox as a replacement part for the standard trigger. It took me longer to get in to the gearbox than it did to fit the unit. After that all there is to do is solder your preferred connector for the battery.

I've always been a fan of the compact size of the PDW but as I have a Systema PTW as well it hasn't been my primary gun. Now though, with very snappy trigger response on semi, that has evened up a lot. It will now spit out BBs as fast as I can pull the trigger without any lock up or half cycles.

I use a RA Tech LIPO hidden in side the rails (7.4v 1600mah 15A) so the full-auto is respectable, but not astounding. If you run a 11.1v lipo in a PEQ box you'll really be able to push this gun to limit - and the FET has programmable ROF or a three-round burst option as well.

The KAC PDW is one of the most compact AEGs available, and to be able to fit an excellent power source and fully featured MOSFET inside, without any visible wiring, is amazing and unthinkable until recently.

• 4 months later...

I am considering of purchasing a VFC PDW 8" to be my next primary gun. I already ordered a AWS Raptor mosfet and looking at some random stuff now. I still have some questions and I am hoping someone can reply to them :)

1) Do the Magpul PTS Emags (either the old versions or new dual level field) fit snugly? What about regular PTS Pmags?

2) If I would want to have a Magpul PTS grip, I have to order a long motor to fit the grip, correct? Or was it a medium one?

3) small piq request: PDW with Magpul grip, RVG and Pmag/Emag.

Many thanks!

I am considering of purchasing a VFC PDW 8" to be my next primary gun. I already ordered a AWS Raptor mosfet and looking at some random stuff now. I still have some questions and I am hoping someone can reply to them :)

1) Do the Magpul PTS Emags (either the old versions or new dual level field) fit snugly? What about regular PTS Pmags?

2) If I would want to have a Magpul PTS grip, I have to order a long motor to fit the grip, correct? Or was it a medium one?

3) small piq request: PDW with Magpul grip, RVG and Pmag/Emag.

Many thanks!

1) Yes. The Magpul PTS M-Version PMAGs fit well in my Dboys PDW.

2) You will need a long-type motor.

3) Hopefully these will help...

PDWHelp002.jpg

PDWHelp003.jpg

PDWHelp.jpg

-Ex

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...