Walther WA2000 Build

dobey

The Real Steel:

WA2000.jpg

From http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn15-e.htm

Walther WA-2000 sniper rifle had been developed by Carl Walther Waffenfabrik (Germany) during late 1970s and early 1980s as a highly specialized police sniper rifle. First introduced in 1982, it was later adopted by some specialized police units in Germany, but the rifle was too expensive to achieve widespread sales, and production was fairy limited. It is believed that only about 176 WA-2000 rifles were ever made. Unlike many other sniper rifles of that period, WA-2000 was not a conversion of the sporting or hunting rifle, but entirely new design with some remarkable features.

A couple of notes before I begin.

1 I know Candyman has made this before, I am making this gun as a special request on a high budget, and to the customers specifications. I have seen how Candyman did his, and out of respect for his work I am doing this build looking only at the real steel pictures and not mindlessly copying his work. I am using a GBB pistol as the base gun, as he did and any similarity to his build will be because I am building an airsoft replica of the same gun he did.

2 I am mid project on another build (the BAGeL) and don't like to do two things at once, but I want to have the WA 2000 done before Christmas for the customer. I will be going right back to the BAGeL when this is finished.

With that out of the way.

The base gun for the WA 2000 will be a Wilson Combat GBB pistol with 2 15 round magazines.

Wilson-001.jpg

Wilson-002.jpg

Wilson-003.jpg

The body will be all aluminum, and the barrel will be a custom made solid aluminum fluted barrel. Some of the parts are modeled here:

assembly1.jpg

The metal should be here tomorrow. The stock is being made from a solid piece of Curly Walnut that has been air dried for 6 years.

wood.jpg

I will update as I go, this build should go fast so stay tuned.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
good luck with the build!

I assume you will be making use of CNC/lathes/the likes , considering your deadline?

Looking forward to further pictures :)

looking nice and cant wait for updates but please finish your BAGeL or post the updates on it

slide travels further

I would say WA M4. Seriously, with what Dobey can do with a CNC, all he needs is the bolt, a magazine and the ignition parts, most of which are already available as aftermarket parts.

Dobey: Are you specifically doing that version of the WA2000 in the pic to be different from Candymans or is it just the customers fancy?

The metal showed up today around noon so I got to work on the side plates first.

Here is some of the metal and the frame of the Wilson:

mock-up-001.jpg

First I cut a few chunks down to working size:

mock-up-002.jpg

I milled a few edges off:

mock-up-003.jpg

Drilled a few holes:

mock-up-004.jpg

Then milled the slots for the cocking handles, and the grooves above the slots:

mock-up-005.jpg

Then I chopped a few more slabs up for the side covers in the bolt area:

mock-up-006.jpg

Some milling and drilling later:

mock-up-007.jpg

Six major pieces and 18 screws later:

mock-up-008.jpg

mock-up-009.jpg

mock-up-010.jpg

Gonna grab some dinner and dive right back into it in the morning.

Looks good. I can imagine inside of that shell that you have a lot of room for the blowback mech, so instead of butchering a perfectly good 1911, how about you use it for measurements and machine all steel/ aluminum parts for a GBB mech and magazine, so the said 1911 will serve the user as a side arm.

What might be worth looking into is the bolt, hop up, barrel, and magazine of the KWC Mini Uzi, which uses a blocky heavy bolt and uses the barrel nut to adjust the hop up, which might be placed over the thumb hole like the real steel *btw what is the use of that knob in the RS version?*. IIRC, you can just order the parts direct from KWC. For the magazine, I guess you can cut the top off a regular one and machine a aluminum shell to be the gas reservoir and outer shell.

I took a side view shot of the real gun and imported the image in my cad software. I know the length of the gun from the spec sheet in the owners manual so I just scaled the pic so the length matched. After that I can just draw a part over the top of the picture and then measure that drawing to get pretty accurate dimensions of most things. After that I made the 3d model from the known pieces and can extrapolate most of the other dimensions from that.

I took a side view shot of the real gun and imported the image in my cad software. I know the length of the gun from the spec sheet in the owners manual so I just scaled the pic so the length matched. After that I can just draw a part over the top of the picture and then measure that drawing to get pretty accurate dimensions of most things. After that I made the 3d model from the known pieces and can extrapolate most of the other dimensions from that.

Looks awesome BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAGeL please

I will get right back on the BAGeL when this is done. As another note on scaling you can take a side shot, crop it to the length of the gun, scale the image to the real length, then lay a grid over it. In this pic I did an asahi with a 1 inch grid overlay, and keep it handy in the shop for quick reference.

wa2000Asahiscale.jpg

Some shots of the end cap before lunch. Cut a block to size:

end-cap-001.jpg

Milled out the ends to fit over the top and bottom rails:

end-cap-002.jpg

Drilled the ends for the screws:

end-cap-003.jpg

Here it is mounted up, still needs the hole for the barrel drilled and some cleaning up:

end-cap-004.jpg

end-cap-005.jpg

More later.

Wow, looking really good really quickly.

You mentioned this being done for a customer on a high budget. If you don't mind me asking, about how high?

Also, why did you choose to use a WA instead of a TM? I would have thought the BB system Marui uses would be better for adding several inches to the barrel, as well as the hop being better.

If I'm not mistaken the GBB base is a WE (at lest before it got re branded). This would mean that the hop-up is a TM clone but that the mags are only 15 rounds.

While I'm posting I have to say that I love watching these build threads and really appriciate that you take the time to share your projects with us.

I didn't do allot this weekend but I started tinkering with the bipod.

Here I marked out the part on a block of aluminum:

bipod-mount-001.jpg

A quick cutout on the bandsaw:

bipod-mount-002.jpg

Then mill it down to its final shape:

bipod-mount-003.jpg

I then added a slot for the rocker:

bipod-mount-004.jpg

Went over to the lathe to make a couple knobs:

bipod-mount-005.jpg

Drilled some holes, made some pins, and clipped some springs for the next part:

bipod-mount-006.jpg

And here is the assembly:

bipod-mount-007.jpg

bipod-mount-008.jpg

I will get back to serious work in the morning.

Archived