Walther WA2000 Build

dobey

I have been working on the wood this afternoon, here are a couple pictures of the grip section. It is far from finished but starting to look like a stock:

stock-001.jpg

stock-002-1.jpg

The black mark is just a line for reference and will be sanded away by the time it is completed. Still lots to do but the walnut I got from Oregon is just outstanding.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a first shot of all the wood, it is bolted up now but still needs some shaping and fine tuning. That curly walnut looks great but the pictures are not doing it justice, will have to get a shot of it outside tomorrow in the light.

full-stock-002.jpg

I doubt Candyman designed the WA2000, he didn't even design the Airsoft version. This thread and just about every aspect of airsoft involves copying someone else's design but at least give the proper credit. I have always acknowledged my respect for Candyman's work, and believe I even made mention of it in my first post.

If you can't do better, don't knock it.

Say what? Give me a milling machine, lathe, material, and pictures to work with and I'll churn out the same thing. The WA2000 isn't even a particularly challenging design, as custom airsoft guns go, it's a box with wood on it.

I'm not belittling the project, but I am pointing out that Dobey's construction is very similar in almost every way to Candyman's design, with changes here and there. It's nice work, but hardly original.

Say what? Give me a milling machine, lathe, material, and pictures to work with and I'll churn out the same thing. The WA2000 isn't even a particularly challenging design, as custom airsoft guns go, it's a box with wood on it.

I'm not belittling the project, but I am pointing out that Dobey's construction is very similar in almost every way to Candyman's design, with changes here and there. It's nice work, but hardly original.

It's not about originality, it's about what I wanted. When I hired Dobey he asked me if I wanted AEG(that's been done too) or GBB. I said GBB. I wanted a semi automatic WA 2000 with blowback. I could of just bought a Asahi and call it a day.

I had a couple of chances to buy an Asahi, but I decided not too. Maybe in the sometime future I'll get the Asahi and Geneth. Right now, I'm getting what I want, with all the features that are not on the Asahi and Geneth.

If anyone on this forum has a problem with this, then take it up with me over PM.

Plastic Mag, I'm not trying to argue here and I see where you are coming from, but what Dobey is doing here is what I asked him to do, nothing more.

Thank you.

Plasticmag, please stop thread ######. In the first post it talks about candyman's design. Also, when someone says something is a creation, they do not mean original creation. You are trying to start an argument where none existed for no purpose.

I must applaud Dobey on the speed that this build is moving along!

I'm not starting an argument - I'm pointing out that it's not original in the slightest. I don't get the massive pile-on of praise for what amounts to a copy of a design, and a copy that isn't done by hand. Candyman's original was and is unique and original, and done by hand, which was one of the coolest things about it. It wasn't done on a milling machine using pre-existing ideas, he drew it up, mocked it out, and then made a custom replica using only his own ingenuity and hand tools.

Gunnman, I hope you enjoy it immensely, and good luck with the Geneth and Asahi purchases in future - the Asahi is very very nice.

but I am pointing out that Dobey's construction is very similar in almost every way to Candyman's design, with changes here and there. It's nice work, but hardly original.

I don't think he can be blamed for that because both Dobey and Candyman used the same downloadable PDF manual of the real WA2000 for reference which has disassembly instructions and an exploded parts diagram.

i dont think it's fair to say dobey copied anyone, he's made a gun thats already been made and there arent really any other ways of doing it. i suppose he could have used a WA M4 as a base gun (that would have been awesome), but at the end of the day you have to remember that it's his client thats calling the shots.

Lets not ruin this thread please. I specifically went out of my way in this build to not copy Candyman's work. I have, and continue to build this solely looking at the German owners manual which like someone said shows each part broken down. Just like my original post states, if it is similar to Candyman's gun it is because we are both copying the same real gun. This is how the real gun looks and works, Candyman didn't design it, Carl Walther's company did.

I am not sure where the heat about it being original is coming from, I never claimed it would be original. Candyman's is not original either, there were a few airsoft versions, and the real thing as well. I post the progress of my builds because it is good motivation to see what others think, good or bad. The comments and ideas I read about in these pages help inspire me to make a better build. It can be criticism as well as praise but please stop the mindless fanboy posting, I know the build is not original, I stated it first post, and didn't need you to let me know.

Lets not ruin this thread please. I specifically went out of my way in this build to not copy Candyman's work. I have, and continue to build this solely looking at the German owners manual which like someone said shows each part broken down. Just like my original post states, if it is similar to Candyman's gun it is because we are both copying the same real gun. This is how the real gun looks and works, Candyman didn't design it, Carl Walther's company did.

I am not sure where the heat about it being original is coming from, I never claimed it would be original. Candyman's is not original either, there were a few airsoft versions, and the real thing as well. I post the progress of my builds because it is good motivation to see what others think, good or bad. The comments and ideas I read about in these pages help inspire me to make a better build. It can be criticism as well as praise but please stop the mindless fanboy posting, I know the build is not original, I stated it first post, and didn't need you to let me know.

i agree with dobey, please shut up with comments saying its not origional, who cares, its awesome, like to see you do something as good in the same amount of space.

take a look at his bagel if you want an origional design.

I'm not starting an argument

Wrong, I'm afraid.

Whether intended or not, that's what you did because although you said:

I'm not belittling the project

...that's how it comes across, you see? This is the trouble with a purely written medium I'm afraid - intent can be hard to interpret. Once that's happened it's even harder to get across what you really meant without "digging yourself in deeper" as it were.

Now can we all please lay off PlasticMag and get back to the topic in hand? Thanks.

I have it all apart right now working on the airsoft parts now, but it is solid as a tank. It is heavier than my M14 but so short and balanced that you don't notice it when shouldering, I will weigh it when I have it all back together.

Me too- the technical aspect of a build is as fascinating as the asthetic part (the whole point of a replica is that it is usually built and functions like the original- hence it can only be built a certain way, hence also why Candyman's Wa and Dobey's Wa look pretty much identical on the outside, duh (plasticmag clearly doesnt grasp this fundamental issue, but I wont draw attention to his dimwittedness too much)).

Would it be okay to worship both Candyman and Dobey?... :D

Actually- ^^^ raises a point.

If you are using a 1911 (the WE version).

Is this going to be a single shot, cocking each round or using part of the slide in the body, to house the GBB unit?

I ask because of the movement of the inner barrel (vertically) as well as laterally of the GBB version.

quick edit.. the chap above me posted while I was reading back information

I spose we won't find out until the build has reached that step :)

Archived