Official Photography Thread?

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice pics guys, Xaccers that last one is amazing but a little over exposed on her skin.

It's high key.

This week's homework is a triptych of low key, mid key and high key photos.

What's the difference between low key and under exposuring a shot, or high key and over exposuring a shot?

Well, if you meant to do it, it get's given a special name and you don't have to feel bad :D

Edited by Xaccers
  • 2 weeks later...

So I want a new camera.

Found out im due for a tax rebate and a new compact camera has been high on my list of gadgets to waste money on for a while.

I have a canon S3 powershot which is good, but its too bulky and I want rid of it. I'm after something thats more compact than this. It's basically an SLR design so carrying it in pockets is pretty impossible.

I want something thats got better picture quality so I have been looking at the Canon G9 and G10 which seem to fit the bill but I'm not sticking with the Canon name. If they're are better compacts around for the price I'd jump ship.

So, basically... Wot am best compacts? Cheaper the better really and the G10 is pushing it to the limit in price range. I'd prefer sub £200 because im keeping some money for an EGLM for my scar some 203 shells and hopefully a PDI patriot kit and a suitable M4/16 to boot!

Edited by apmaman
So I want a new camera.

Found out im due for a tax rebate and a new compact camera has been high on my list of gadgets to waste money on for a while.

I have a canon S3 powershot which is good, but its too bulky and I want rid of it. I'm after something thats more compact than this. It's basically an SLR design so carrying it in pockets is pretty impossible.

I want something thats got better picture quality so I have been looking at the Canon G9 and G10 which seem to fit the bill but I'm not sticking with the Canon name. If they're are better compacts around for the price I'd jump ship.

So, basically... Wot am best compacts? Cheaper the better really and the G10 is pushing it to the limit in price range. I'd prefer sub £200 because im keeping some money for an EGLM for my scar some 203 shells and hopefully a PDI patriot kit and a suitable M4/16 to boot!

Might be an idea to start a new thread in the off topic section rather than the pictures section, if memory serves there have been several "wot am best camwa" threads there already :)

• 3 weeks later...

There's some awesome shots in this thread! Time for my contribution I guess:

3300289026_aba0c6f730.jpg

3298920484_5fe35b4b9c.jpg

3298092561_276b2e89ed.jpg

3298865710_a7a1562ec6.jpg

All of those were taken on my D40, but that has since been traded in for a D80, the 11th of April will mark one year since I started taking photos :)

I've got a couple more I'd like to show off, but I'll leave them till later!

I post most of my stuff on flickr: HERE

If you're asking about my pics, yeah I tend to use the kit lens, though the one of the Hercules taking off was on a Nikon 55-200mm DX VR and the one below it was the same, the latter two are all kit lens though.

I get along with it, but the rotating front element can be a pain for using cokin type filters, I was thinking of replacing it with a 18-108mm VR, like the one that comes with the D80 & D90 etc, but couldn't really justify the cost, I've found VR to be quite useless really, so don't bother with it now.

Really, the only difference it makes, from what I gather, is when you have a lens worth about £2000 with VR on, then it's pretty decent, otherwise it's a bit pap.

Just a little educational tip I picked up from a local pro photographer, if your shutter speed is equal to your 35mm equiv focal length, you will get no vibration, and on D-SLR's if it is equivalent to the focal length on the lens, you will see very little.

So for example, on my Sigma 70-300mm, I get a focal length equivalent to 450 on a film camera.

So, when shooting 300mm at 1/300th of a second, I wouldn't get much motion blur, if my speed was 1/450th, I'd get none.

Likewise, when shooting at 70mm, a shutter speed of 1/70th would mean reduced vibration blur, a speed of 1/100th would mean none.

Obviously these numbers vary for different cameras and lenses, but that's a rough guide in case anyone is having problems :)

Thanks! I had a flick through yours, I approve, but you pro users have far too many photos for my clicking finger to handle! :)

Aw I was good and put things into sets to make it easier ;)

I tell you what though, when there's a lot of good stuff, the slideshow function of flickr is a godsend!

Touche, touche, I've never really used the slideshow function all that much, I really ought to get more acquainted with Flickr.

Just a general question to throw out there, does anyone take their camera to games and actually use it mid-match? I'd love to take mine, but fear it being destroyed by rampant BBs, so I thought I'd custom-fit a pocket in my SAAV with a clear plate in front, rubber lenshood and then a cheapy CPL filter with the glass removed to allow focussing, so that my camera could essentially be "fired from the hip" using a remote...Just an idea, probably the most impractical idea ever, but I'm just paranoid about killing my camera!