Official Photography Thread?

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from what i've read, the d3s is king of high iso, not the 1ds4.

that said, i've used both the 5dmk2 [is nice but not my bag] and the d3s [sweet], and d3 before it, and only fiddled with the d3x [i could only appreciate it for studio work, but then again i would choose mf instead].

currently own a canon ixus.

d3x is a studio bunny, and not meant for low light.

i hear its being replaced very soon.

d700 has the same chip as the d3, and is a low light bunny.

d3s has a new chip, which meant better specs than the d3 or d700, and hd720 movie.

hth

//--------------

according to one comparison i've seen, the d3s is much cleaner than the 1ds4, in fact the 5dmk2 looks alot better [than 1ds4] up until its iso tops out.

in real world terms, theyre going to be very similar.

glass investment, and whether the crop or the extra few mp mean anything, is going to make the difference, which isnt much.

both would be fast, rugged, and great for sports and pj work.

IronWolf: Posts Merged.

Edited by IronWolf

I think if I shot more run and gun photography, i.e on the move, I'd opt for a nikon. Their focusing system is just fantastic. That said, I compared the D3Xs images to the 5Ds and the 5D was smoother overall and well, 1/3rd the cost.

Again we're talking pro-cameras here. I'm doing some projects that have already easily paid back the cost of the Canon. But I still love my Nikon D80.

my d2x cost me three times what my first dslr did [a pentax ds ist, as i came from a pentax film background] - but i love the ergonomics of the nikon d2 and d3 bodies, and find them intuitive and fast to use, and despite what it, and the d2h i had before it cost me, i knock 7 shades of ###### out of them and they run just fine.

despite the high iso low noise capability of my d700, i feel slightly less confident with knocking it around.

and yes, i did buy those bodies precisely for speed, not just in terms of sheer power [focus motor, processing, etc] but also in terms of actual speed of operation. my d700 with the grip [and thus share the same batteries across my d2 bodies and my d700] is almost upto speed as well - at half the cost of the d3.

and i quite happily run and gun with these...

for me, the d3x wasnt quite worth it - i didnt get the same speed nor low light capability, and all this on a chip that whilst it was full frame in 35mm terms, it was still a smaller imaging area than my medium format mamiya.

[mind you, i dont run and gun my mamiya...]

in the studio however, the playing field levels considerably...

it is just a choice of the right tools for the right job.

ps. thanks for merging IronWolf

My brother is a pilot so he wanted to take me up to get some night city shots, and I just took my friends d300 (my d40 sucks at low light) and 50mm f1.4...Lots of night shots of pittsburgh!

I will have them up in 1-2 days :D

I was hopeing to get the d3, but I got to use the d300, no complaints though :D

Edited by ChrisWPA
My brother is a pilot so he wanted to take me up to get some night city shots, and I just took my friends d300 (my d40 sucks at low light) and 50mm f1.4...Lots of night shots of pittsburgh!

I will have them up in 1-2 days :D

I was hopeing to get the d3, but I got to use the d300, no complaints though :D

nice peace of kit right? are you considering the D300 over the D90?

The d300 is AMAAAZING coming from someone who used a d40 for a year and a half. The features are so much more advanced, and professional, I love it. Oh yeah and the professional layout of buttons is so amazing, so easy and fast to be on manual mode and fly through apertures/iso, unlike the d40.

I would for sure get the d300, but its going to be a little bit of a struggle coming up with enough for a d90.

Had some friends dressing up in my gear, posing for me so I could take some pics

For some reason I can't link, Visit the link for pics

http://foto.nakedsnake.se/#2.0

EDIT: You can also view other photos as well... feel free to click around...

Edited by Robinio