Official Photography Thread?

Some people do sports and need higher end cameras though which would not always be the cheapest body possible. But then again for a good telephoto they are around $1000. So most first time slr users wont wanna even spend $1400 on just a sports setup.

If your doing landscape then a d40/rebel xti are more then enough, I love mine.

Trust me, you don't need an expensive camera to do sports, the main thing it'll ever give you is convenience and reduce the need to predict events.

The most important thing is the 12 inches behind the viewfinder, after that, with digital, its the glass.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trust me, you don't need an expensive camera to do sports, the main thing it'll ever give you is convenience and reduce the need to predict events.

The most important thing is the 12 inches behind the viewfinder, after that, with digital, its the glass.

Agreed, I am not argueing saying you guys are wrong.

Ok, so I've been playing around with my new Nikon D5000, and been taking a few alright shots.

I'd be interested to know how many of you run some of your shots through a post-processing program, like GIMP or Adobe Photoshop?

My experience thus far seems to go like this;

I get a subject, and settle on some sort of composition.

I take anywhere between 5 to 10 sample pictures to adjust the flash and the slave unit.

I then take between 20 to 50 pictures, with varying poses, etc.

I load them into iPhoto, and delete the ones I don't like; keeping only those I think have some potential. This usually leaves me with about 10 shots.

I take my favourite two or three from these, and run them into GIMP, where I play with the levels, saturation, etc., before sharpening them and saving them (but keeping the original).

Should I be doing all this? How many of you post-process?

Ben.

Ok, so I've been playing around with my new Nikon D5000, and been taking a few alright shots.

I'd be interested to know how many of you run some of your shots through a post-processing program, like GIMP or Adobe Photoshop?

My experience thus far seems to go like this;

I get a subject, and settle on some sort of composition.

I take anywhere between 5 to 10 sample pictures to adjust the flash and the slave unit.

I then take between 20 to 50 pictures, with varying poses, etc.

I load them into iPhoto, and delete the ones I don't like; keeping only those I think have some potential. This usually leaves me with about 10 shots.

I take my favourite two or three from these, and run them into GIMP, where I play with the levels, saturation, etc., before sharpening them and saving them (but keeping the original).

Should I be doing all this? How many of you post-process?

Ben.

I use Photoshop CS4.. If thats how many shots it takes for you to produce the image you want, then do through that much, for me I usually do this,

If I see a picture I wanna take, I usually think about composition, and come up with 1-2 really cool ways to take the picture, or ways to show off the focal point.

So then I take 2-3 pictures of each composition, adjusting settings or angle to get how I want it. Then keep 1 of those image and edit it. :)

Edited by ChrisWPA

Don't rely on the preview image on the cameras screen for exposure judgement, use the exposure histogram for that. Only check the composition using the preview image. Also, zoom in on the image to check focus, the detail should be sharp at 100% zoom / crop.

I do that many because I can't make out all the details of the shot on the Nikon's little LCD screen - I've found that perfect looking shots come out under-flashed most of the time... Maybe I have the brightness set too high?

Ben.

I was just at Ritz camera this afternoon and had asked to try a 60mm Nikon Micro Lens on a D300s, but they didn't have that body at the time(they never actually do) when the clerk mentioned that, yes the D300s is popular, and unlike the D40 series and lower end bodies it can use all the lenses currently on the market. Now I'm glad I got my D300s when I did.

can anyone comment on buying a refurbished camera? I sold my d40 ($305), and I am nearing to my goal of saving up money for a new DSLR. At first I had the D90 in mind, but then I started to look at the D300. Now the D300 i found from Adroma is going for 1,249 refurb, body only. Now I could get a D90 with a 18-105mm VR lens for around 1,024. Whichever camera i buy, I tend to keep this for a long time, so I am wondering which is a better buy for me?

The D300 is actually a higher quality body than the D90, but the D90 also takes videos and it comes with a lens. I guess it really depends if you want the lens compatibility of the D300, or if you want the movie features of the D90. Remember though, the D90's video does NOT autofocus. It's manual focus only.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the help, after paitiently waiting, I finally got my camera, the D300s. And I must say, it is quite nice, solid build, and allows for more creativity. haha going from 3 focus points from the D40 to 51 on the D300 is a huge jump foward.

Grats! I was playing with a d300 and a d3 while getting my senior pics done, so much fun :)

The d3 with a 14-24 f2.8 lens is INSANE wide.

4271902636_a91ccedf85.jpg

4271159367_fab4cff3b9.jpg

Thanks Sean for the seniors pics :) you can check him out on his website or his flickr, his full name is Sean Scarmack (google it and it will come up first I think)

Taken with a d3 and 24-70 f2.8 nikon lens, with sb-900 and sb800 (umbrellas setup to right and slightly behind in both generally)

Edited by ChrisWPA

Thanks for the compliments!

those photos were taken with a panasonic lumix, lx3, a great compact cam.

But! I needed more haha, so I finally bit the bullet and got a dslr - a Nikon D90, 18-200mm VR nikkor lens.

Its nice, I like. I took some photos with it tonight, here's a couple from it;

becarefulsmall.jpg

dsc0018small.jpg