Kart JAE-100 M14 Review

Kart JAE-100 M14 Review

jae1002kt8.jpg

First off, let me answer some frequently asked questions:

Q: What kind of gearbox does the JAE-100 M14 use?

A: The JAE-100 M14 uses a V7 gearbox just like any other M14

Q: Is the cheek pad adjustable?

A: The cheek pad is removable but not adjustable.

Q: Is it compatible with TM M14 mags?

A: Sorry, I dont have any other M14 mags to test it with.

Real Steel History

Now normally I don't bother reading the real steel history of most reviews. But since this model is relatively unknown, I thought I should include some background.

JAE stands for J. Allen Enterprises, the company that manufactures the real steel can be found at http://www.jallenenterprises.com/. JAE only sells the stock, the user must provide an M14/M1A to drop in. The JAE-100 stock was designed to fix the problems the M14 had while using a scope, namely, problems getting a good cheek weld and scopes sitting too high. The JAE-100 fixes both of these problems with the adjustable cheek pad.

Unboxing:

I ordered my JAE-100 M14 from RSOV. I placed the order on 12/9/08 and it arrived at my door 12/20/08 with Post Office Airmail Parcel Post (7-14 days). Including shipping the gun cost $140 and some cents.

The gun arrived at my door in a plain brown box with no markings other than the post office stickers and stamps.

Included are:

JAE-100 M14

Hi-Cap M14 mag

Large 8.4V 1500mAh Battery

Scope Mount

Bipod

Charger (China Plug)

Sling

Hex Tools

The included accessories aren't great, but they work, so I wont argue.

Externals:

The stock itself feels very solid. No creaks or flexing. It does feel a bit hollow though. The heatshield is very wobbly and creaky though since it's cheap plastic. I noticed that a grub screw was missing from the gas block that's supposed to be securing the heatshield to the barrel. I've searched high and low for this screw and it is nowhere to be found. I have a feeling that once I replace the screw and tighten it down it'll feel much more solid.

The gun is pretty front heavy. The barrel, receiver, and other metal bits and bobs are located from the grip forward and the back of the stock is all plastic which throws off the balance. When the battery is put into the stock it offsets this a tiny bit. On top of that the grip is pretty fat. I think this is because Kart had to duplicate the grip angle of the real JAE-100 stock but also fit the angle of the V7 motor. Because of this, I would recommend this gun to people with a larger build.

The cocking handle feels solid when racked and gives a nice sounding clank when released.

The plastic on the cheek pad and rubber on the butt pad feel very durable. The mechanism to release the butt pad feels a bit fragile though. It's locked in with rather thin looking plastic tabs. I have to be very careful not to use too much force when trying to shove the battery in the stock. It is a surprisingly tight fit.

jae1003rg9.jpg

jae1004bu4.jpg

jae1005mh8.jpg

Metal Parts Include:

Outer Barrel

Flash Hider

Front Sight

Gas Block

Underside RIS Rail

Scope Mount

Magazine

Trigger Assembly

Upper Receiver

Bolt

Rear Sight

Cocking Handle

Body Screws

jaedisassemblyyb7.jpg

Internals:

The gun uses all standard M14 internals, meaning a V7 gearbox. You can even swap out the internals entirely with another M14 of your choice.

It shoots at around 400 FPS which is a nice strength for a DMR rifle, but it may be a bit hot for some sites. I don't have a chronograph, so I cant confirm this.

I haven't opened up the gearbox and don't intend to as I'd probably never be able to put it together again.

Performance:

The gun isnt very accurate for its length. At about 100 feet the BBs tend to curve to the left or right. The hop up isn't that effective either. Hopefully a cleaning of the barrel and a changing of the hop up rubber will be a quick fix for this.

The gun has a good ROF. But sometimes when switching from automatic to semi it continues to shoot in automatic. Also it occasionally double or misfeeds in semi. Winding the magazine usually remedies this.

Pros:

Aesthetics (Looks great with a new coat of paint)

Unique (Only company that makes this model)

Lots of metal content

Solid (Other than the heatshield and butt pad locking mech)

Cons:

Big grip

Heavy and unbalanced

Heatshield is very creaky

Mag misfeeds

Accuracy isnt great

Not entirely accurate to real steel JAE-100

Conclusion:

If this were any other model, the cons might outweigh the pros. But seeing as pretty much all of the problems can be solved by swapping out the internals, it's not too bad for the price, especially considering that the stock itself is probably worth the price of the whole gun.

I'll end this thread with a nice glamor shot.

jae100ce1.jpg

Edited by Dock trinE

Good review and pics, thanks for that!

Doesn't seem like a very good gun, but as you stated yourself, one would probably buy this just for the stock.

A small correction:

Q: What kind of gearbox does the JAE-100 M14 use?

A: The JAE-100 M14 uses a V7 gearbox just like any other M14

Except the G&G M14, which uses... the very nice and simple G&G M14 mechbox, also found in the JLS Beretta RX4.

I got the tan version last 24 and dont dare to remove the cheek pad, just hand up or any trick?

How the hell am I supposed to put the sling if there is no place to hang?

thanks!!

I got the tan version last 24 and dont dare to remove the cheek pad, just hand up or any trick?

How the hell am I supposed to put the sling if there is no place to hang?

thanks!!

Q: I got the tan version last 24 and dont dare to remove the cheek pad, just hand up or any trick?

A: just slip your fingers in the opening between the stock and the ckeekrest and pull straight up. it will be a little difficult taking it off the first time.

Q: How the hell am I supposed to put the sling if there is no place to hang?

A: i'm still wondering the same thing. they got lazy and forgot a few sling points, but remembered the sling.

i would recommend something along these lines to attach the included sling(which isn't that bad) on the front

Landarms CQD Sling Mount - Front

OR

EB Airsoft QD Rail Sling Swivel

Thanks for the review...and for pointing me here from the other thread on these rifles...I might STILL give this a try. I have an AGM M-14 that I'm dropping some parts into for a friend...including a MOSFET...and a tightbore...and if those mods work well in that old gun, they'll probably fix what ails this version, too.

Still, I'd love to drop some Marui or G&G M14 internals into that stock...and add some glued-in weights to the butt end, to counterbalance the front-heavy feel. This would make an awesome field gun, and I especially like the green paint job. I hit my XM-8 with that color green, and left the rubber black, and it is the cats' a$$ for a dark, shadowy field.

Thanks again!

Thumps...OVER

Dropping in a G&G M14 would be impossible, as it has different internals. I wish it would though b/c i already have a G&G in the closet. :P I have as yet been unable to determine whether a marui or 100% marui-clone AEG(ie CYMA, ECHO1) will drop in, as this gun uses the same GB as the AGM, which uses a standard spur gear, rather than the V7 spur gear. This makes the GB in this gun slightly larger. again, if ordering replacement gears for this gun, order a standard gearset, not the m14-specific set.

I don't imagine dropping in a marui will be an issue, but i will not be be able to verify 100% till next week.

I ordered this gun the day after it hit RSOV, and i was so excited to get it i nearly messed my pants.

If you have ANY questions, or need pics, feel free to ask

BTW, Dock trinE kudos on the great review.

UPDATE:

Q: Is it compatible with TM M14 mags?

A: Compatible with all TM and TM-Compatible M14 mags.

Edited by darkhold
whats it like to use - would u say that the stock is more or less comfortable than a standard m14?

Mike

The stock, as in the part you shoulder is very comfortable. The butt pad is not adjustable but its made of pretty good quality rubber. And the cheek pad is the perfect height for the scope I just put on it. I'd say its more comfortable than the normal M14. The butt is a bit wider and the cheek pad was pretty much designed to be comfortable with scopes.

Thanks for the review...and for pointing me here from the other thread on these rifles...I might STILL give this a try. I have an AGM M-14 that I'm dropping some parts into for a friend...including a MOSFET...and a tightbore...and if those mods work well in that old gun, they'll probably fix what ails this version, too.

Still, I'd love to drop some Marui or G&G M14 internals into that stock...and add some glued-in weights to the butt end, to counterbalance the front-heavy feel. This would make an awesome field gun, and I especially like the green paint job. I hit my XM-8 with that color green, and left the rubber black, and it is the cats' a$ for a dark, shadowy field.

Thanks again!

Thumps...OVER

The stock doesnt have a lot of room for counterweights in the stock configuration. But if you were to get a MOSFET you could get rid of the bulky fuse and if you switched to deans connectors you could probably save some more space.

And if anyone was wondering, the paint is Krylon Ultra Flat Olive.

Thanks guys for the corrections! Is there anyway I can still edit the post to update the review?

Dropping in a G&G M14 would be impossible, as it has different internals. I wish it would though b/c i already have a G&G in the closet. tongue.gif I have as yet been unable to determine whether a marui or 100% marui-clone AEG(ie CYMA, ECHO1) will drop in, as this gun uses the same GB as the AGM, which uses a standard spur gear, rather than the V7 spur gear. This makes the GB in this gun slightly larger. again, if ordering replacement gears for this gun, order a standard gearset, not the m14-specific set.

NeoVeNoM in the M14 picture thread was able to fit CYMA soc16 internals and barrel assembly into the stock

Hi, I'm new in here

First, I have to apologize if my Eng. Language is not good (I hope you understand what i'm typing)

1) I can't put 6.03 prometheus barrel in JAE outer barrel (It,s too tight)

So, I changed into Marui Outer barrel(Marui outter barrel can fit the front lock)

2) JAE hop up chamber is too tight to fit Other brand nozzle(Marui, Prometheus etc.)(I know when i'm changing stuffs between 2 guns)

3) I can use G&p Ris on JAE

And This is My JAE (Don't Ask about sling )

xR3Ux8740822-02.jpg

.eLMIf214899-02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1) I can't put 6.03 prometheus barrel in JAE outer barrel (It,s too tight)

So, I changed into Marui Outer barrel(Marui outter barrel can fit the front lock)

So, is not possible to change the stock inner barrel for a new one without problems? or it's a problem of the prometheus outhern diameter?

• 4 weeks later...
I really like the JAE M14s, but I can't see myself picking up a Kart.

Sorry for you then.

Now for something a little more useful.

Pictures of the gearbox disassembled and the internals here:

http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/sp...ump/KART%20JAE/

And a few notes.

-Motor is no label black end.

-Negative motor contact is soldered but positive is removable.(On mine at least.)

-Cutoff lever is STEEL! magnet tested,nice finish. Only seen pictures of the guarder lever but it looks very similar.

-Spring guide is clear polymer over stainless steel skeleton,also magnet tested. Pegs are part of the steel skeleton. No bearings or bushings or even a little metal ring though.

-Nozzle,tappet plate and cylinder head are of the same clear polymer. Looks and feels like the clear polymer parts in my VFC416.

-Cylinder is non ported,has a very smooth mirror finish on the inside.

-Tappet plate spring is super stiff. Havent handled any other makes but that is one stiff little spring!

-Piston is less than impressive. I can see what apear to be bubbles inside the plastic,or as if the plastic didnt "cook" all the way through in the mold. Big seams and excess plastic are also everywhere. It feels solid but something tells me its bound to fail.

-Piston head is aluminum,ported. Again,no bearings or bushings or anything.

-Gears and anti reversal latch are XYTs. Worth noting that these are cut particularly nice,in fact these are the best looking XYT gears i've handled yet.

-Bushings are nylon,6mm.

-Gearbox shell is nicely cut. Nothing rough or jagged in there.

The thing actually came shimmed pretty darn well. No sideways gear movement at all,really quiet cycling once the motor was adjusted,and a crisp but quiet report. Hop came with the teflon mod too,yes came with it. I didnt chrono mine but it was shooting right through the bottom of a can with .20s and accurate with man sized targets at over 150 feet with .25s (Moderately estimated. I would even dare say over 170 feet) ,though there is plenty of room for improvement in terms of accuracy.

Overall i'm very impressed with some of the parts in there,not so much with others. Its been said that this rifle is worth it just for the stock. I would be inclined to disagree,as the stock itself feels pretty flimsy. But the mech on the other hand is where I see all the potential. Now that's not saying that there wont be any lemons because its an ACM gun,but if you're into tinkering like myself replacing a few things here and there will only make it more fun. More importantly though,everything seems well manufactured save for that nasty looking piston.

Any questions,comments or requests for pictures are welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

so i got mine the other day noticed something interesting. The Notches on the Inner barrel were closer to the end of the gun than most TB barrels i have used. any one know if there is a reason for this? I ask because i would like to drop a new Barrel in but am not sure if i need a M14 specific TB never heard of a M14 specific barrel. ANy suggestions?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i noticed the cuts were also different on the barrel...

so i cracked open the TM M14 i have and the cuts on its barrel are the same.

so yes there is a specific M14 hop-up cut for the barrel.

EDGI.com makes custom TB barrels.. i highly recommend them for this project.

I have been able to just drop in my TM into this stock.. but i dont find it a great weld.

i would suggest this as a cheap base to build up a nice unique M14.