Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Initial Impressions of the Tokyo Marui SOPMOD M4 AEG.

The newest offering from Tokyo Marui, the SOPMOD M4 follows in the new series of “more realistic” styled rifles aimed for the discerning player. While not as ultra realistic as the WA M4 or Systema PTW series, it does offer many of the same features and adds some new ones for considerably less money.

DSC03013.jpg

The SOPMOD features a full metal body with ‘Colt’ markings, a crane style stock, full RAS hand guard, and detachable rear sight. It has a good weight, and no body flex. Magazines are a new design, and unfortunately, NOT interchangeable with older M4/16 designs. The gun also comes with the Battery adapter for the special Crane Style battery. It uses a standard mini Tamia connector. A dedicated charger can be purchased separately.

DSC03016.jpg

The new SOPMOD M4 uses a version of the new “Recoil Engine” found on the AK74MN and AK74U. It also adds a new feature a type of temporary electrical cut-off switch that will engage after the last shot in the magazine is fired, rendering the gun non-functional, just like the real thing. Reactivation of the gun is done by the now very functional bolt catch/release lever. (The gun will cycle without the magazine in the gun, however.) The bolt cycling is fast and crisp. Semi-auto fire is surprisingly responsive unlike, normal Marui trigger units. The “Recoil” is good, while not the kick from a WA M4, it does provide for an enjoyable experience. You still have to hold the gun pretty steady to get tight groupings, as the recoil will actually spoil follow-up shots.

DSC03033.jpg

Magazines are completely redesigned for this new gun. They are not interchangeable with older designs. The quantity is now larger at 82 bb’s for a standard magazine, and 430 for the hi-cap. When using the hi-cap, the bolt stop function is disengaged. It is only in use with standard magazines.

DSC03041.jpg

DSC03040.jpg

The hop-up is a barrel type similar to that of the G3/G36/AUG and can be accessed in it's usual place.

DSC03031.jpg

The Crane stock houses a new style Metal Hydride battery

(8.4V 1300mah) with a new type of battery terminal interface. The Fuse (std. 15amp buss) is easily seen and changed in case of power surge. Battery changes are almost as easy as mag changes. There are some interesting changes to the electrical system within the crane stock itself. Within the center of the main tube of the stock lies two metal strips that are connected to the battery terminal. Also there are two exposed contacts on the bottom of the stock tube as well. This was done to provide electrical power to the gun while giving full use of the stock without the use of more wiring, which could become frayed or broken like the traditional crane stocks being used by players today. An elegant solution to a problem, although aftermarket parts people may find this difficult being locked into the OEM Battery. [/img]

DSC03020.jpg

DSC03022.jpg

DSC03023.jpg

DSC03027.jpg

Muzzle Velocity is Marui consistent: 280-285fps

shot 1: 283fps

shot 2: 285

shot 3: 285

shot 4: 280

shot 5: 283

shot 6: 284

The SOPMOD M4 seems to fall right in the middle of the bunch between the very realistic (and expensive) WA M4 and Systema guns, and offers controlled and predictable performance above the G&G/Top-Tech and We Tech guns. While a lack of aftermarket parts availability seems to hinder it presently. Only time will tell. If this gun becomes more popular, then aftermarket parts manufacturers will most likely jump on, and we may yet see a new era in our toys.

• Like 3
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Recoil looks pretty good. I gotta say I wasn't expecting much, but this new M4 seems pretty alright.

The FPS and ROF are too low to use at most US fields, so hopefully the gearbox can still be upgraded. I'm glad that they changed the hop up to G36 drum style.

FPS might be a bit low, but it seems to have a fine rof for me. Not everyone needs to ###### BBs.

Cool overview, thank you VERY much for the videos.

Im really interested in this as i prefer the reliability and convenience of electric over gas powered replicas.

I really hope that this platform catches on and aftermarket parts are released in short order. Only time will tell however.

Cool overview, thank you VERY much for the videos.

Im really interested in this as i prefer the reliability and convenience of electric over gas powered replicas.

I really hope that this platform catches on and aftermarket parts are released in short order. Only time will tell however.

Well, companies are making parts for PTW's, and those are 3x more expensive. Since people can afford this, it should catch on fast.

• Like 1
Nice try, but can I swap the EBB feature with a split gearbox and PTW-style quick changing cylinders?

Another jerk not able to afford a real Systema PTW :rolleyes: Or add another 1000 bucks to the order and you get a boring Systema with the same features any other AEG comes with..... blowing BBs with a devastating inaccuracy right into the environment. That´s what all is about...oh...and having fun. And this one looks like a lot more fun....perhaps a little bit less than the WE and WA M4...but hey....who cares... ;)

Another jerk not able to afford a real Systema PTW :rolleyes: Or add another 1000 bucks to the order and you get a boring Systema with the same features any other AEG comes with..... blowing BBs with a devastating inaccuracy right into the environment. That´s what all is about...oh...and having fun. And this one looks like a lot more fun....perhaps a little bit less than the WE and WA M4...but hey....who cares... ;)

Key word FUN.

This AEG looks FUN. The pseudo blowback, the bolt lock, the (hopefully) exceptional hopup performance and genuine tokyo marui reliability make this one a winner in my book. This gun is definitely on my short list to own.

^you mean the holes in the faux bolt carrier? In the real steel, that is where the gas from the direct impingement system escapes when it pushes the bolt carrier far enough to unlock. It is apparently recreated in the TM version.

Please please please take pics of the recoil mech and inside the gearbox and explain how it works! And is there any way to make the recoil heavier, or kick harder like a real M4? It shouldn't be too hard, with a heavier weight, stiffer springs, beefier battery, and high torque gears, unless I am missing a part of the equation somewhere?

Edited by DesertFoxRomel

Im really psyched for this design.

The sky is the limit and i really cant wait to see what guys with more talent, skill and knowledge than the average joe, ie me are going to do to this rifle.

I too would love to see how this thing works before i plunk down the cash on one.

Please please please take pics of the recoil mech and inside the gearbox and explain how it works! And is there any way to make the recoil heavier, or kick harder like a real M4? It shouldn't be too hard, with a heavier weight, stiffer springs, beefier battery, and high torque gears, unless I am missing a part of the equation somewhere?

I just fired a TM AK74 two weeks ago and of course the blowback is weaker than the WA M4 one ( it was an upgraded one with the stronger recil spring). But the blowback was strong enough and also impressive. AND I was able to hit a target some 60 feet away. Something I didn´t manage with the WA. So in my humble oppinon TM found a good compromise: Blowback and accuracy. And you will never experience real steel feeling with a toy gun.

Best combination should be the WA/WE for summer times and the TM for winter.....and it´s still cheaper than a Systema :D Though the WA mags are freaking expensive :(

Thanks a lot for the quick review! I can only imagine that this will shape up to be a quite popular gun given the price and features ^_^

Me, well, I'm gonna pass on this one and wait for Marui to release the blowback MP5 that they patented the internals for at the same time they patented the internals for this new blowback M4. I always have had a thing for MP5s and I don't think I'll have to wait more than 6 months to a year for Marui to come out with the new blowback version.

Edited by Jin15
This should help in the mean time. This is the parts list for the gun.

post-12746-1230631434_thumb.png

Thanks! So from what I gathered, does the mechanism work like this?:

1. Piston is forward in the resting position, and the recoil weight is in the center if the buffer tube

2. User pulls trigger, piston moves back, and at the half way point, the piston makes contact with the recoil weight rod and pushes it back

3. At the end of the stroke, the sector gear lets go of the piston, piston slams forward and fires BB, and the recoil weight, no longer being held back by the piston goes forward and is eventually slowed down and stopped by the second spring

4. The recoil weight eventually stops in center, restarting from step one

Can someone who has one of these please disassemble it and confirm how it works?

also, does it have the recoil spring *boing* like the real steel? :P

Edited by DesertFoxRomel