Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

I took my barrel apart last night and interestingly enough, instead of being on the bottom, the wiring cutout to front wire the gun is on the RIGHT HAND SIDE of the barrel.

Very interesting. One thing that worries me is that holy mother of god is that channel small. Its...really small.

Anakchan, you've installed metal bushings right?

Are the TM holes 6.0mm or 6.1 like some of the out of spec clone gearboxes?

I know, i know, stupid question, i would assume 6.0 since its a marui but it IS a new design so who knows.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I took my barrel apart last night and interestingly enough, instead of being on the bottom, the wiring cutout to front wire the gun is on the RIGHT HAND SIDE of the barrel.

Very interesting. One thing that worries me is that holy mother of god is that channel small. Its...really small.

Anakchan, you've installed metal bushings right?

Are the TM holes 6.0mm or 6.1 like some of the out of spec clone gearboxes?

I know, i know, stupid question, i would assume 6.0 since its a marui but it IS a new design so who knows.

You can squeeze in about 4 wires through that side cut - no more. So For the SW-Long (2xwires for trigger, 2xwires for motor) that's just right. I still have problems squeezing in the FET into the front with the DD AR-15, so think I'm going to file a groove in the outer barrel to make some space.

Yes 6mm bearings fit in fine (think I'm using Systema bearings).

You can squeeze in about 4 wires through that side cut - no more. So For the SW-Long (2xwires for trigger, 2xwires for motor) that's just right. I still have problems squeezing in the FET into the front with the DD AR-15, so think I'm going to file a groove in the outer barrel to make some space.

Yes 6mm bearings fit in fine (think I'm using Systema bearings).

6mm bearings? Why that choice my friend?

Ive never been a fan of 6mm bearings in any application and i find that to be particularly scary in a system that seems to have more load on it than a conventional AEG.

I dropped a G&P RAS2 Long on it, and the upper part of that fits great. The lower rail had to be retained from the SOPMOD RIS because the barrel nut does not have a slot for the RAS2 lower RIS clamp to slip into. (The upper does.) Not ideal, but no big deal, as the front handguard cap and delta ring holds the lower TM RIS half well with just a very minor bit of play, and it doesn't look wrong.

I decided I didn't like that minor bit of play.....I have a KAC RASII on my real-steel and know how solid it should be. Out came the Dremel, and now there is a slot in the faux barrel nut for the G&P RASII lower clamp to engage. The front end is extremely solid. Trilled with the build on this gun in that regard.

Still haven't updated to a tightbore however.

6mm bearings? Why that choice my friend?

Ive never been a fan of 6mm bearings in any application and i find that to be particularly scary in a system that seems to have more load on it than a conventional AEG.

I had lotsa spares and didn't know what to do with them :P. Couldn't be bothered to go out to buy bushings...hahah!

Guys, I thought I'd let you know that I'm beginning to hear misc parts fail in the mechbox for the -upgraded- Sopmods. It's not happened to me personally but for 1-2 of my colleagues who have upgraded it (either spring, adding FET, or changing to front wiring, etc.) I've heard of various failures (e.g. cylinder head, mechbox shell, nozzle, etc.).

Again, this is for -upgraded- Sopmods, I've not heard of failures for non-upgraded ones. Mine which was upgraded is still ok.

95-97m/s (basically just under 1J). But I'm -guessing- that things like FETs & 7.4V Lipos increases ROF, and the mechbox isn't able to handle it. Afterall this mechbox is pretty much a new design. And as for the nozzle, it's damn long....take a look @ the below pics I took, I reckon a simple BB jam can cause breaks easily :-

http://www.tkoverkill.com/showthread.php?t...id=2835#pid2835

My sopmod has failed unfortunately.

Tappet plate snappled in half and the nozzle broke where the tappet meets it on the cylinder head.

I was running at stock power levels.

Im not sure if this was because of a jam of parts failure but ill tell you right now, with reinforced polycarb parts this wont happen. The stock plastic is just way too brittle.

I wonder of Marui did any kind of durability testing on the system. So far my sopmod is the first ive heard of in my extremely limited universe that has broken in stock configuration. The others that i have operating around me seem to be doing just fine.

TM Lemons do exist although they are extremely rare.

agreed, had a few of them myself to fix.

so far my sop' has gone through about a bag of Excel .2's and Maruzen .25's in testing and games. so far, so good. ;)

also, it's confirmed that Laylax is beginning to make parts for SOPMOD's

right now it's going to be piston head, spring guide, nozzle, and a outer barrel.

Yo gunfighters. that is good news. Glad to hear it.

Magsz, I've put 850 rounds through mine with no issues, so it sounds like you got the short stick. Sorry, man.

On a sidenote, I stuck in an EdGI tightbore (M4-length, 6.01mm) last night with a Shredder hop spacer. Before, it was 277fps/.2g (hop off, of course) and after install it is 297fps/.2g. Nice little bump there.

any links for me to read on the laylax info ? i can see that have a section on the laylax site for the sopmod now, but no new stuff yet

I saw it in my April issue of ARMS Magazine, it's in their printed ad, but not updated on the Laylax website.

oh, and there is also a cylinder head coming too.

my scanner is not working right now, so I can't post it up yet.

magsz,

saw in the back of the magazine a little blurb with cad drawings of tappet plates about the sopmod.

trying to get it translated. looks like light at the end of the tunnel so to speak! :)

Edited by Gunfighters808