Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Heh, the MI is over 2 years old if I had to guess. Basically, it is rather bendy across the top and thus deformed enough that the hole deformed. I threw it in a box and stumbled across it when looking for some other stuff for the SOPMOD. Not going to sweat it since the side that I need for the QD still is functional, but just not impressed with it to buy another.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Loving mine three of us played with them side by side yesterday and owned all lol the range and accuracy has to be seen to be believed hehe we was acctually joking about how many kills we was getting. i had at least 10 people come and ask what it was i was using and all answered with "oh the sopmod doesnt it have low batterys though?" or "i am going to buy one when i get back how much is it all in, 650? umm maybe not then... i still want one though" i liked these two kids let them both have ago they both loved it. one said i love it the other (with zero tact) said thats not what you said the other day you said they was rubish and not worth the money.. and he was like shuutttt uppp. majorly embarrised.

i love reading and hearing people have ago at the sop then watch them completely change there mind when they use it..

over hear all marui prices are now catching up to the sopmod prices, its really rubbish but just proves that its not really the sopmod thats over priced just all aegs being over priced its just the sopmod becuase it was new got done first.. for example, the ak with blowbacks now 410 quid it was £300, m14s £345 it was £200 so yes its more expenisve but only 100 more. its the uk it sucks plain and simple

Im really having alot of fun with mine.

To me it is by far the greatest compromise between durability, fit, finish and performance. IF it had the same style of action and feel as a GBB replica i would safely say it was/is the greatest airsoft gun ever made.

Still, NO electric gun will EVER function like a GBB and thats ok. Despite that fact i am still really enjoying this gun for its plug and play ease of operation and the fact that it has none of the downsides of a GBB while still retaining, albeit in a reduced format, its benefits.

I chose the second strogest there was. The one that is ment to hold moving parts and stress (i.e blowback in an aeg), but it says you can get it loose with the use of tools.

Now, how the stocktube wil look like after using tools on it is another question :)

Vidi,

What is the melting point of the locktite that you used? Worst case scenario is that you can take a heatgun to the rear portion of the receiver and that should weaken the chemicals in the locktite enough to the point where the "seal" can be easily broken.

Just a quick note, I managed to put a GBB ASAP sling point on my Sopmod. Wasnt too much hassle either, but did need some dremeling! but works a treat. and looks nice.

A note on the PTS ASAP, its a nice piece of gear, doesnt feel the strongest just on its own, but attached to the AEG it feels solid and reliable.

Just bought this Gun and i got tot say the quality is amazing ARIGATO GOZAIMASU Tokyo Marui for making a great Airsoft gun. But i have not shot it because the guy in the shop had no batteries for it ahhhhhhhhhhh. So here i am am waiting with my 4 mags and gun for my batteries i hope the gun is not broken from the import posting lol

Is it just my gun (and my bad skills in working on it) or is the stock buffer tube supposed to be at a downward angle to the gearbox / cylinder line?

I dont think so.

My buffer/receiver extension is in line with the upper receiver/gearbox.

Dropped the prometheus upgrade parts in,

spring guide

nozzle

piston head

cylinder head

and got a 28 fps increase from 310 to 338.

The shots were all pretty much between 336 and 338 once it settled the parts in. A high of 341 and low of 325.

This was an improvement of consitency compared to the stock stuff.

Got a question... can an UBR stock be installed on the Sopmod/SOCOM carbine?

Sort of.

The problem is that the receiver extensions are much harder than the lower receiver. Im worried about that.

I dont have a real UBR on hand otherwise i would try it out for you guys.

Hey folks, here's an observation about the piston. Please note that I don't actually own a SOPMOD/SOCOM, and all this is conjecture based on internet observations.

Based on this thread, it seems there is at least one instance of someone in Japan getting an aftermarket piston to work. However, there doesn't seem to be any actual aftermarket piston released specific for the SOPMOD/SOCOM.

Based on the limited pictures available of the SOPMOD/SOCOM piston design, it seems to closely resemble the existing half-teeth pistons.

http://www.anakchan.com/M4Sopmod/SpringCompare.jpg

Examples:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...0Piston%20Heads

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...metheus%20Parts

Now one of the review did mention some sort of notch on the TM stock SOPMOD/SOCOM piston that engages the bolt cover.

http://www.tkoverkill.com/showthread.php?tid=375&page=1

Assuming that's a notch into the piston itself, and assuming that the TM piston is based on the existing half-teeth design, it should be possible to get the existing half-teeth pistons to properly work with a basic removal of material.

The situation is a little more complicated if the notch is some type of protrusion, but at least existing half-teeth pistons might keep the gun running until someone release a proper aftermarket piston.

Of course, that's assuming the TM piston is just a modified half-teeth piston. Hopefully someone can verify my guesswork.

Any idea of what the FPS would be if you change the spring guide to the new Prometheus bearing one ? I just did, and my gun won't fire - the rest of internals are stock.

Wondering if the standard battery is too weak for the resulting force?!

thats about right from my gander last time i was in there. you would have to build up some plastic on the top to operate the blowback though.

Looking at your pictures at ASCUK, it looks like if one fits in a standard half-tooth piston, one can pull the piston out of the mechbox without even opening the mechbox. I wish TM had actually just taken the extra step of designing the blowback system so that the TM piston can be removed without opening the mechbox. The durability of TM pistons aside, it still would be nice to be able to inspect and replace a high wear component like the piston so conveniently.

Any idea of what the FPS would be if you change the spring guide to the new Prometheus bearing one ? I just did, and my gun won't fire - the rest of internals are stock.

Wondering if the standard battery is too weak for the resulting force?!

this shouldnt be a problem i would go back in and just make sure the stock tubes tight but not too tight. just check that the diameter of the spring will nicely compress over the spring guide also double check its the right spring guide ive brought kits which had wrong spring guides before its worth checking. might be one of these things where you need to go back in just make sure its allright and when you rebuild it for some reason it just works.

the saint - i must admit i havent pulled it out yet but it looks like she would just pull out if i wanted to with out taking the mechbox apart. obvisouly youd have to disengadge the anti reverse latch. but it looks like she would pull out. dont think the notch on the top gets in the way since it goes in and out of the cylinder fine and the back has less in the way becuase of the whole for the blow back system which drops down as opposed to the piston going up..