Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Forgive me stupid question. How long precission barrel is the best ?

This ?

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/upgrade-part/pa...g551-363mm.html

Or this ?

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/upgrade-part/pa...g551-407mm.html

Based on my knowledge GBB'R i would buy 363 mm, but wont make misstakes, and wish to get best performance out of this rifle.

Also if You could PM me with details for buying the spring ? The prices etc ? I live in UK.

Edited by Nazio
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I would say 455mm as I asked on this other thread :)

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...p;#entry2179264

That's BAD advice. And not the standard TM Sopmod length.

Nazio

Read through this thread. Alot of people mention what they've used as a replacement.

From what I see, seems to be 363mm.

Edited by TheEgo
Dynamic.

Im actually running Airsoft Surgeon Stage 1 springs in my guns in an un cut format and getting 355 fps on the dot.

The recoil weight has nowhere to move so its essentially a conventional AEG but its still a laser gun. :)

When Rich's springs arrive i will be throwing them into a few guns for testing so stand by guys!

I don't understand ... the recoil weight is separated from the main gearbox spring so why wouldn't it move anymore?!

I don't understand ... the recoil weight is separated from the main gearbox spring so why wouldn't it move anymore?!

Because Standard AEG springs are about an inch longer than the srping in a SOPMOD. SO the Recoil spring probably does move, just alot less than using a regular SOPMOD spring.

J.

So I just picked up a M4A1 Socom used off a fella and it's mighty impressive. Can't wait to run some juice and bb's through it later this week. Just a few things.

1) WTF TM, all the effort to make a metal body and a $500 MSRP and couldn't make a metal carry handle?

2) Maybe because it's used, but the handguard and stock tube wobbles a bit. I read about getting a armorers wrench and some locktight to tighten up the back, but any ideas for the front? I though I could screw down the handguard cap like the old TM handguard caps, but no luck on this one. It's held in with a plastic pin. This one has a MOE grip installed. It does tighten up a little more when a battery is in there, but I am planning to run a lipo that is thinner then a mini pack so that idea may not work.

Other that that, the recoil is impressive, nowhere near a real AR15, but about as much as my Asahi Dissapator and the metallic clack clack is like a aluminum pistoned and headed MP5K on steroids.

Gonna throw in a tightbore, mosfet, lipo and spring to hit 350FPS and call it a day. No extra money needed to sink into this badboy.

350 spring eh hehe hint hint hint lol for all those that have ordered ill drag my computer round someones tonight download my emails and get them all ready to send out in the morning! Will be back to 1 day dispatch time when they turn my internets on, on the 22nd. Cheers for the patients.

So I just picked up a M4A1 Socom used off a fella and it's mighty impressive. Can't wait to run some juice and bb's through it later this week. Just a few things.

1) WTF TM, all the effort to make a metal body and a $500 MSRP and couldn't make a metal carry handle?

2) Maybe because it's used, but the handguard and stock tube wobbles a bit. I read about getting a armorers wrench and some locktight to tighten up the back, but any ideas for the front? I though I could screw down the handguard cap like the old TM handguard caps, but no luck on this one. It's held in with a plastic pin. This one has a MOE grip installed. It does tighten up a little more when a battery is in there, but I am planning to run a lipo that is thinner then a mini pack so that idea may not work.

Other that that, the recoil is impressive, nowhere near a real AR15, but about as much as my Asahi Dissapator and the metallic clack clack is like a aluminum pistoned and headed MP5K on steroids.

Gonna throw in a tightbore, mosfet, lipo and spring to hit 350FPS and call it a day. No extra money needed to sink into this badboy.

Dynamic,

I have an MOE installed on my SOCOM.

To tighten it up, the only way i found was to shim it to fit. I used some thin (1mm) clear plastic between the MOE grip and the end cap, and try shimming the hole in the end cap the little metal nub goes through.

I did have an after market Vltor block installed which tightened with hex bolts, so i could tighten it up closer to the grip which stopped the wobble. but i prefer the M4 sight block so i went back to shimming.

Because Standard AEG springs are about an inch longer than the srping in a SOPMOD. SO the Recoil spring probably does move, just alot less than using a regular SOPMOD spring.

J.

Bingo.

The recoil weight has very little room to move.

The "weld spring" if we can even call it that in the sopmod/socom carbine is VERY weak. Like other posters mentioned the best way to tighten up the fit of aftermarket handguards such as the MOE is to shim the front of the handguard by the handguard cap. Replacing the Barrel nut/delta ring also works but that requires spending moola.

Blue locktight must be applied to the castle nut and the threads of the receiver extension. Do not use anything stronger than blue or you will never get it off. Also, do NOT over torque the castle nut or else you're going to end up cracking something whether it be the receiver or the receiver extension. Go slow and you wont run into any problems. Hamfist it and you're going to have a busted gun on your hands. :)

Edited by Magsz
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread is for REVIEWS of the Marui SOPMOD M4.

Normally it would be okay for it to devolve into general discussion of the item in question but, alas, since it's turned into nothing more than a market stall for one member to tout their unauthorised commercial products, I'm closing it.

If anybody has a anything related to this review to post please let me know and I'll re-open it.

• 3 months later...

depends how close you want it as long as you use the current upper and lower reciever you can fit a m16 front end, say for instance the gnadp front end kit, and depending on the style of full stock you fit, using a bolt method you could fit a full stock to the sopmod and rewire to take a battery in the full m16 stock. and fit a carry handle on top to cover the ris.. personally i think it would look good and as far as most are concerned.. an m16.. but in my experience most wanting an m16 usually have to have it in its purest form or nothing at all.

its that or wait for an m16 version, you know interesting fact, 17 years ago the first gun tm made with a v2 gearbox was an m16a1 im sure they wont forget that and come out with a varient at some point.

well shotshow is on jan 10th, you never know we might see some new stuff from TM then..

TM will not be represented. They've never been to shot show and probably never will be.

You need to remember that TM does NOT care about the international market.

wow, when did this get opened back up? LOL... :)

well, it's a new year, how's everybody's SOP/COM's doing?

here's a question for all the sopmod owners, how are your batteries doing? I've finally started to have some issues with my packs.

mostly the cheapy cells inside are not holding the charge much longer than about a few days. just curious to see how everyone else is holding up.

(I don't really know how many charge cycles I've put them since I got the gun, but, it's a LOT.)

as far as the gun goes, it's still flawless. :D

Happy New Years Everyone!

yeah mines still going strong bout 9 months now at 350 fps, lipos still good.

cant really say much else about it other than its an unstopable workhorse.. i chuck it away after a game, chuck it around in game and it just keeps on shooting. Its difficult getting your head around, as in general in airsoft you have to maintain and upgrade guns to keep them working. But this sopmod just needs a charge and off you go, im looking forward to replying to this in 2 years and copy and pasting what ive writen here today.

happy new year

Yeah, they don't care so much that they now file international patents on new products.... :rolleyes:

come on, thats simply protecting there property as best they can, and its probably at there level, as simple as telling there lawers to file patents everywhere, one phone call and an invoice later, done.

No duabt TM know and agreed to there products being sold abroad. But TM dont do any advertising abroad, they dont work with wholesellers or send out reps. And as a result classic army now has a massive market share in the states compared to TM something magz can probably comment on better than i.

I know they cant cater products directly for other countries by law but they could do more, lets be honest.

For instance, making a second factory in europe or america or china. Any where outside of japan. Then they could produce two products, one for japan one for international use.

Or do what echo 1 does and have the reseller rebuild the gun with a different spring.

but we dont see any of it, as they dont care about the international market.

come on, thats simply protecting there property as best they can, and its probably at there level, as simple as telling there lawers to file patents everywhere, one phone call and an invoice later, done.

No duabt TM know and agreed to there products being sold abroad. But TM dont do any advertising abroad, they dont work with wholesellers or send out reps. And as a result classic army now has a massive market share in the states compared to TM something magz can probably comment on better than i.

I know they cant cater products directly for other countries by law but they could do more, lets be honest.

For instance, making a second factory in europe or america or china. Any where outside of japan. Then they could produce two products, one for japan one for international use.

Or do what echo 1 does and have the reseller rebuild the gun with a different spring.

but we dont see any of it, as they dont care about the international market.

Rich basically summed it up. If TM cared about the international markets we would be seeing ALOT more Sopmod/socom carbines in the hands of players around the globe.

Most airsofters here in the states dont even know what Tokyo Marui is these days. Its truly a sad state of affairs.

As for my Sopmod, its still chugging along just as well as it was the first day i got it, granted its shooting significantly better considering i popped some upgrades in there but im still loving it.