Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

i cant imaging it would be all that, ptw vs ctw for example that didnt fair to well. Then again if it gets more people buying my parts im all for it ;)

yeah its for a gbbr but its about the closest thing to having a chance! dremil that extra metal off the handle, 2 holes and goood to rock and roll.. maybe.. lol

all im saying is ive seen several people with cracked recievers where they have fallen over on the gun. If mine was cracked and i had nothing else to loose 30 quids not much to ask for a shot of getting the whole gun going again.

once you know it works you do the same mode to many of the million gbbr bodys there are now..

masssive what if, but you never know! could be the best thing since sliced bread.

I dont think it possible to put a GB into a GBBR body without A LOT of dremelling, I would prefer to wait for the Army clone and the flood of spares which will come after it, or thats what I hope after seeing how many ACM spares poped of nowhere after the AGM GBBR was released

i do agree that there appears to be a massive lack of parts for the sopmod, id fill it but well im not a china factory :P once army has successfully draw up its own cad and copys, your right theres a strong chance it will get sold on to any and every place in china. its what they do. You wouldnt believe how many parts are rebrand and how many are the same designs sold on. All they do is change the dye and hey presto new product.

are you thinking it wont fit on the inside of the GBBr reciever ?

wheres your sense of adventure...! you guys are lucky i dont give too hoots what my sopmod looks like or thered be a gbbr reciever and some new dremil bits on route to me right now.. :P

Sorry, my sense of adventure is already full watching Top Gear :lol: just kidding, Its just I dont like spending huge amounts of time dremeling... it... frustrates me :P even more when I have to clean the room :lol:

I wish someone makes a kit to transform the Socom (i will say socom as its the best model and the one coming home) in a M16A2 or A4 for DMR purposes, but just a MUR1 upper and magpul lower will suffice so I can build a nice little CQB M4 with the clone :)

ive got a friend collecting a new end cap for the buffer tube direct from tm, this way i can drill it and feel confident about returning it to normal should messing about go tits up. Then i can drill it pass a bolt through it then i can screw a full stock on, i will then rewire it and my sopmod will have a lipo so large in it, i will set off gigacounters. Night games i may actually glow..

CHEAP and GHETTO SLING PLATE SOLUTION

ghetto.jpg

All you need is some zip ties!

Loop two on the stock tube, then two through the zip ties on the stock tube. Then you just hook your sling to it, and viola!

The zip ties don't move at all, since I pulled it REALLY tight. Works great!

Edited by mrezzy

I think in terms of parts, you'd probably be quite surprised as to how many parts actually fit.

Yes, it's a shame that some of the major components are missing suitable alternatives (outer barrels, receivers etc). But for the most part things like RIS, Stocks, Grips and other little add on parts do go on without too much fuss. I've got a set of WE handguards and they fit, with less wobble! Pity you then can't fit any battery in though (uber thin Li-Po possibly).

You only have to look at the pics in this thread to see the variation of parts that people have stuck on their gats.

Me, I'm keeping mine simple. UBR and possibly an aimpoint (if I can get another).

I'd love a shorter barrel and a long flash hider so I can look like 'Zeke' Anderson.

As for sling plates.

It took me about 20 mins with a dremel to just open out the hole to get it to fit (you could probably do it quicker if your being brutal). The real steel ones are really very close, like i said before, if it wasn't for that little threaded step in the stock tube, they'd go straight on.

in the ghetto, in the ghetto (cartman voice off)

man i see what youve done but id mod a sling plate to go on the like the chef hehe, you wanna get the point of strain as high or as close to the center of the gun as possible.

I think mrezzy your stock tube needs to screw on a bit more i cant see the wires on mine. dont forget to screws the handle on first before the stock tube other wise it wont screw on and will go on at a funny angle.

Here's a quick snap of mine.

IMG_0291.jpg

And I think this is the one I bought (it was ages ago)

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=category&item=WA-PT-AR17&search=special&rs=Sling%20Swivels&catid=14&cat=208

Like I said... didn't take long to mod. Only had to take about 1-1.5mm of material out just to get it over that step.

Works a treat.

in the ghetto, in the ghetto (cartman voice off)

man i see what youve done but id mod a sling plate to go on the like the chef hehe, you wanna get the point of strain as high or as close to the center of the gun as possible.

I think mrezzy your stock tube needs to screw on a bit more i cant see the wires on mine. dont forget to screws the handle on first before the stock tube other wise it wont screw on and will go on at a funny angle.

O lol, cuz I lost that black thing that covers the wire!! Ok i need to find a dremel now!

Regarding single shot lockups/cut outs

I was fiddling with the rifle, and removed the stock to have a look at the sliding connector. I found black deposists which I thought was pitting (from poor contact and arcing). However it cleaned off I also noticed the long contact rails inside the stock where very dirty as well with a black greasy residue.

Anyone else with the lock up issue have a similar occurance.

How much filing is needed in order to use one? just a little bit like chef said?

Yeah pretty much, I modded a GBBR ASAP sling mount and it took about 15 mins of dremeling then trying, then dremel again, until it fits! with the ASAP also had to dremel the 'wings' which hug the reciever abit, but nothing major either.

someone emailed me about needing a new full length sopmod barrel ill double check and let you when ive got a bit off time.

Theres allways a chance the contacts will oxidise or burn over time, its the very nature of aliminum and copper to do this.. but they are such good conductors..

Some companys are trying copper coated in tin to reduce the wear and oxidisation.

Like anything really a gun needs regular maintainance

Now I've already posed this question to Richard in a PM, but thought I'd ask it here just because it's quite an interesting question.

I'm considering getting a 3-round burst MOSFET for my SOCOM (because that's pretty sweet, love the function on Systema's).

So firstly......

1: Does anyone already have this set-up, and if so, any issues?

My poser is this.

You stick in a 3-round burst jobby.

You fire a burst and the gun fires maybe 1 or 2 rounds then the mag is empty.

The cut off engages and the rifle goes 'dead' with the empty mag.

At this point the 'FET has 1 shot left 'active' in it's cycle.

Now, does the 'FET clear itself due to timing, or does it register the shots somehow.

If it does register the shots, does this fire off when you 'reload' in a Spectacular 'Negligent Discharge' moment? Or do you get a single shot on the next burst before returning to normal?

So yeah, all input and discussion welcomed.

Thats a really good question.

One thing I'd like to know when/if you fit the Fet, is how easy/difficult it was to fit into a SOCOM!!!

As to your question, Hmmm...

perhaps it will try to force the shot, and possibly damage the bolt lock mech.

I cnt recall how the bolt lock on a TM works exactly, I know its a mechanical stop but does it 'mechanically' cut the power or just place a piece in the way of another piece to prevent it engageing?

If it cuts the power it may just give you an ND when bolt release is hit.

Really need more info;

how exactly does the TM bolt stop work, how does the FET work (does the 3rd burst have a cut off time?)

You mention using it with a Systema, how does that fair?

The real answer here im afraid is going to be; Dont know till its been tried! which i know is very unhelpful!

but let us know if you can fit a FET!

J.

I think the systema 3 round burst is part of the onboard programming. It comes as standard on M4's but is a really nice feature which I would like to replicate.

(then I can laugh at my mate who has the systema in that I've got a rifle that cost half as much as his. Does everything his does (stops on empty/3 round burst/quick spring change) and has recoil to boot!..... ho ho ho!)

You know what would rock? a receiver extension - buffer tube to put Magpul UBR stock on the SOCOM carbine.

Considering the UBR slides over a cylindrical tube, that wouldn't be very hard to machine, only the internals need to be spec-ed to accept the counterweight and spring guide.

On a side note, just seen a few pics from the Japan Shot show 2010 and aside from the CQB-r and G36 recoil the only new thing i can see looks like FN5.7's with flashlights(which have been seen) and aslo what looks like recoil G36 "C", so one newish model to the recoil range.

EDIT:

On closer inspection it isnt a recoil G36 C, it just looks like one of thier BOYS range. el-crapo.

Edited by Number5