Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

new ones will be the best bet! to fit on the standard tube.

The sopmods tube is designed with that step to clear the gearbox and fit into the reciever, a smaller tube wouldnt take the recoil unit and also not fit between the gearbox and reciever.

like you say a bit of sheet metal laser cut sounds like the way forward. Any preference on how the sling attaches ?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I agree with chef about barrels, but please make them thinner so we can put bigger bats on the handguards :lol:

About the sling swivels, i would love an ASAP like one, but these two would be more than enough

http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=1386

http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=3705

Twice the spring strength would be better, but it may not be wenough. the G&P delta unit, when I first fit it to the dun It was difficult to push the spring back, thats the kind of strength spring you need. as long as it doesnt move when its nudged is good!

The sopmods tube is designed with that step to clear the gearbox and fit into the reciever, a smaller tube wouldnt take the recoil unit and also not fit between the gearbox and receiver.

Just whipped off my stock tube. I see what you mean about clearing the gearbox. That's a bad deal.

But the recoil unit will fit in a real steel stock tube. If a RS stock, fits over the tube, and the recoil unit is inside the same tube... stands to reason that it should.

Not that it matters, that step is the critical part.

So yeah. new parts ahoy. Or stop.... dremel time!

Edit.

Oh, got my springs by the way. Cheers bud. Proper Job.

Edited by The Chef

I like the idea The Chef has about the outer barrel, make a base length outer barrel in 10.5" length (with cutouts optimized for a battery), and then make a set of extensions that will allow you to configure the barrel to whatever length you like. For example, 1" extension = 11.5" barrel, 4" extension = 14.5" barrel, 5.5" extension = 16" barrel. Those three extensions sold as a set would make most people happy. Then sell separately a 10" extension for those who want to make a 20" barrel. For the 4" extension, don't bother making the M4 profile with multiple steps as people can already get that with the SOPMOD/SOCOM barrels, instead make the 4" extension a straight extension. That setup will sell.

Magazine Misfeeds:

I've been having issues with all 8 of my tm sopmod 82rd magazines.

They feed the first 60 fine, but the remaining rounds dont feed unless i push the magazine up into the magwell and hold it there.

I did the cleaning of the mags, tried different bbs [weight and brand], but stil same results.

I'm planning on opening up the mags, and increasing the spring tension on it. i'll document it and let you guys know how that turned out.

I've wondered the SOPMOD issue for a bit and I have these thoughts about why it has been unpopular:

1. It is not THAT much better than the original setup. Virtually all of the problems in the original design have been solved. The Madbull hopup made the crappy V2 hopup history. So... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2. EBB is sort of a weird middle ground between regular AEGs and GBBR. If people want performance, they go AEG, if they want fun realism, they go GBBR. There's no real reason to go for a middle ground since you get neither benefit in full.

3. Aftermarket parts manufacturing begins in Hong Kong and a little in Taiwan. In HK, the EBBs simply have not been selling well. Inventories sell out only because there were tiny to begin with. High performance guns are really what sell in HK, and EBB have both issues with 20 + rps setups and accuracy on full auto.

1.- The madbull hop up isnt better than a regular M4 hop up, it just keeps the setup better, but range and accuracy is still the same, or thats what USMCcorps says in his posts after testing it. Sopmod/socom performs WAY better OOTB than an upgraded M4, and thats a fact, the user just needs to learn to shoot and not look at the white stream of BBs going out of the barrel

2.- There is a reason, people who want fun AND realism instead a high performance hose

3.- I agree it needs more aftermarket parts like high powered dedicated springs for markets like USA or roles like DMR, Conversion kits to SPRs or M16 would be sweet too, but its a vicious circle, factories are too scared to take the risk of making such parts as the sales arent being high, but if there are no parts or conversion kits, there will not be much more sales... So I have to thank and praise Richard for taking the risk even him not being the boss of a big brand like laylax.

The Madbull isn't perfect by any means, but it has been better for me than any other M4 HopUp I've personally tested so far. I've seen other people use M4 HopUps by other manufacturers and get insanely good performance, but the results haven't always been repeatable in similar setups. The Madbull, for me, has yielded predictable and consistently good performance, en par with the best M4 setups I've eyewitnessed, which at the end of the day is all I can hope from it.

The one time I tested the TM SOPMOD, was in a store (AEX) and their gun testing area is designed for everything but range and accuracy (as is the case with most stores with limited space). I was impressed with the gun, but I have yet to test it's range and accuracy. I'm dying to see how it compares to my Madbull/KM barrel setups. If it's significantly better I may have to switch.

if they feed the first 60 spring tensions not an issue, it must be sticking inside

follow my cleaning vid and add a little lube in the right places

I'm going to try lubing the sh*t out of it. if not, second option is to add some duct tape inside the magazine latch so it pushes the mag up more.

When I was in Japan I got the chance to shoot the SOPMOD and the EBB M4A1 Carbine on a 9.6V

The range was an outdoor one that went out to 50 meters.

I also had my TM EBB AK74MN to test alongside. All were on TM 0.25g and bone stock

The results were what I was expecting basically. On semi, the SOPMOD was on par with the AK74, about 30 meters, after which the groups begin to really open up.

On semi-auto, I noticed the SOPMOD groups opening up much more. If I wanted to hit a head sized target, I could only get about 20 meters. I could still hit the 30 meter target, but not with every shot, maybe 80% IIRC. Targets were square boards, 1/2 meter each way. RoF on the SOPMOD was low too, only about 12 rps IIRC.

Not a scientific test, but I sort of gave up on the idea of EBB M4. From what I can see in the hopup design, it looks like an adaption from the standard AUG/G36/P90 drum style dial. Madbull is the same thing... so yeah, I don't see why a SOPMOD would do better than a NBB M4 with tight tolerances on a Madbull. Especially when you consider that the EBB has the recoil before the BB leaves the barrel.

When I was in Japan I got the chance to shoot the SOPMOD and the EBB M4A1 Carbine on a 9.6V

The range was an outdoor one that went out to 50 meters.

I also had my TM EBB AK74MN to test alongside. All were on TM 0.25g and bone stock

The results were what I was expecting basically. On semi, the SOPMOD was on par with the AK74, about 30 meters, after which the groups begin to really open up.

On semi-auto, I noticed the SOPMOD groups opening up much more. If I wanted to hit a head sized target, I could only get about 20 meters. I could still hit the 30 meter target, but not with every shot, maybe 80% IIRC. Targets were square boards, 1/2 meter each way. RoF on the SOPMOD was low too, only about 12 rps IIRC.

Not a scientific test, but I sort of gave up on the idea of EBB M4. From what I can see in the hopup design, it looks like an adaption from the standard AUG/G36/P90 drum style dial. Madbull is the same thing... so yeah, I don't see why a SOPMOD would do better than a NBB M4 with tight tolerances on a Madbull. Especially when you consider that the EBB has the recoil before the BB leaves the barrel.

Not the sort of results I've read, or what other users here have, but they are only toys at the end of the day

The ROF on a 9.6v batt at 12 rps? well, I'm not sure about that, but still, its within the realm of an RS M4 (between 700 and 950) 12 is low though.

The SOCOM is never going to deliver 20RPS, it would shake itself apart.

Most of the posters on this thread though are using Lipo in anycase which gives a good trigger response on semi which is a big bonus.

If you want a super High ROF AEG, then you've already missed the point of the SOPMOD/SOCOM.

There are with any sport different types of player, and airsofters have different attributes that they want their AEG to possess. With the SOCOM, my wants list was for a 'year round' well performing AEG which has more realism than the average AEG's i'd owned in the past and shot well enough.

I got that.

On the GBBR topic I had one, it didnt work well OOTB, the mags leaked and were expensive, the hop was lowsy and the FPS was always to high, if it even bothered to work.

In the UK, others may have different experiences, but for me the weather was never right to use it!

The sopmod is a middle ground gun, but its alot of fun, works really well, shoots far and fairly hard and gives realism.

Alot of people talk about the ultimate AEG and modding it to the brink of self destruction, but be honest, most AEGS (UK limits here) will hit out accuratly to 25-30 meters and then a bit more on top if you lead your shots. OOTB the SOPMOD/SOCOM beats that and does it in style.

Ecthelion curius , do you own or have you owned a socom/sopmod ? reason i ask is from your posts you clearly don"t like this gun (my self all i can say is my socom is one of the best airsoft guns i"ve ever owned) i find the range and accuracy far better than most of my other guns including TM,classic army,JG and several other china soft brands or is fireing it the once in Japan your only contact with it ?

Not the sort of results I've read, or what other users here have, but they are only toys at the end of the day

The ROF on a 9.6v batt at 12 rps? well, I'm not sure about that, but still, its within the realm of an RS M4 (between 700 and 950) 12 is low though.

The SOCOM is never going to deliver 20RPS, it would shake itself apart.

Most of the posters on this thread though are using Lipo in anycase which gives a good trigger response on semi which is a big bonus.

If you want a super High ROF AEG, then you've already missed the point of the SOPMOD/SOCOM.

There are with any sport different types of player, and airsofters have different attributes that they want their AEG to possess. With the SOCOM, my wants list was for a 'year round' well performing AEG which has more realism than the average AEG's i'd owned in the past and shot well enough.

I got that.

On the GBBR topic I had one, it didnt work well OOTB, the mags leaked and were expensive, the hop was lowsy and the FPS was always to high, if it even bothered to work.

In the UK, others may have different experiences, but for me the weather was never right to use it!

The sopmod is a middle ground gun, but its alot of fun, works really well, shoots far and fairly hard and gives realism.

Alot of people talk about the ultimate AEG and modding it to the brink of self destruction, but be honest, most AEGS (UK limits here) will hit out accuratly to 25-30 meters and then a bit more on top if you lead your shots. OOTB the SOPMOD/SOCOM beats that and does it in style.

Sorry I was unclear, I meant the RoF on the SOPMOD, with the special 8.4V. The 9.6V Carbine had a 17 rps RoF. And yes, those are chrono results. They say the Carbine gets more even with a 8.4V, but I didn't have one on had to try. And I'm not about to throw out numbers that I didn't get myself.

I should also mention the other issue of wind. The range is in an open-ish area. Placed called SEALS, one of the biggest in Chiba, east of Tokyo. Best shooting range in Japan IMO, only one that can give you 50 meters marked out and with uniform targets.

Now with that being said. The FPS on the SOPMOD is really more suited towards .23g rather than .25g. In Japan, 0.2g is still the most popular, and TM designs their guns to shoot on 0.2g for the most part. With higher FPS guns, you can use heavier BBs and that's when things get more accurate in outdoor conditions. SOPMOD can't do that OOTB.

I am fairly certain about the groups I got since both rifles were ACOG fitted I zoomed in till I could clearly see the 30 meter board. It was a sunny day so the BBs were clearly visible.

Personally I have only handled the SOPMOD on 3 occassions from 2 different people. Had a few games with it. But I have never owned one. I played with the idea for a long time and that's why I went through all the trouble of testing their OOTB performance. I am willing to go EBB, that's why I got BOTH the AK74MN and the AK74U from TM. But the SOPMOD's strong recoil on full auto and low RoF (I didn't want to get the Carbine one and have to spend 10,000+ yen getting a rail for it) made me turn away from it and get a VFC SR16 instead.

@druid

I don't have a vendetta against the TM SOPMOD lol

But comparing it to a CA and a JG is sort of a mismatch, neither of those brands are known for their consistency or accuracy. Try the TM against a newer VFC model or even a G&P with slight modding and you will see what really good accuracy with an AEG is like. KWA is also supposed to be good, but I haven't handled or owned one yet so it's just hearsay for me at this point.

Edited by Ecthelion

no sweat mate didn"t think there was eny Machiavallian plans against the sopmod/socom"s ! :D take your point about poor results from CA and JG but was just making the point that none off my other guns by several diffrent manifactures have even come close to it for the points i listed .

funnily enuff at my last scurmish there was a new VFC M4ES there that day , he had me on ROF (not too important to me, only takes one BB to get a kill ;) ) but i did take him quite significantly on range and accuracy .

I'll take range and accuracy over ROF any day. I'd give up full auto if my shots were laser beam accurate.

but usmcCorps we all know that the gun that can empty its mag in .001 of a second is "am best gun"!

serious though , totally agree accurate wins over rate of fire , which is why i love my socom . and i do think its down to the dial hop in it .

Range/accuracy > ROF any day of the week, and seriously, my socom has an insane ROF with a G&P nunchuck 9.6v battery, more than I will ever need, but im that kind of player who thinks that high "V" batteries are just for trigger response and not for hosing BBs as many others think...

Ecthelion, I understand you have no Vendetta against the Sopmod, but you surely look like the type of player who prefers high ROF and High FPS over the slight compromise between realism and performance the sopmod/socom takes and most of the people posting in this thread look for and love on their AEGs, so please save your "VFC hoses am bestest" excuses, its not I dont believe them, its just I... dont believe them.

One other thing that's piqued my interest about the TM SOPMOD/SOCOM are the reports I've read in here that with a lower FPS it's still out shooting range and accuracy-wise guns with a higher fps. I might ask Orca to check his stock SOPMOD out. I just want to see how it compares. Things I care about: range, accuracy, trigger response, more realistic function. Things that take a back seat: ROF, FPS (just has to be strong enough for the OPFOR to know they've been hit), recoil. If I ever get one, I'd be tempted to rip out the recoil unit and just have a rear buffer tube lipo. Basically, I want everything that my current M4's should have, but don't. It seems to me the only thing this replica is missing is being able to use the charging handle to reset the system.

I'm also really curious about the HopUp, how it functions, and how it compares to others.

uscm,

Unfortunately I can't mention much about a -stock- Sopmod but for my customised one (PDI barrel, Firefly bucking), I've got pretty decent groupings & range. Wish I had a decent long indoor place where I can give you stats on range and groupings but none in Tokyo - nor do I wanna drive all the way out to Chiba just to range my weapon.

I like the hop. It's easy to set, it's rigid (i.e. it doesn't unwind over time)...in terms of comparison to say my Systema V2 hop unit, I prefer the Sopmod's.

You wanna rip out the recoil shock system & put in your buffer tube lipo? Think you're gonna be hard-pressed doing that. Yes you can rip out the recoil part but that space is pretty short - I've not seen a buffer tube lipo that short that'll fit in the buffer tube. You'll also need to wires to be -outside- the buffer tube 'cos remember with this mechbox, a portion of the buffer tube is part of the mechbox. Your spring guide actually sits inside the buffer tube (at least the front 1/3 of the buffer tube).

BTW, I'd guess that you're after primarily the mag change reload simulation but not interested in the recoil simulation?

[Aside]

Ecthelion, I sure hope you weren't using 0.23/0.25g at my SEALs game! I would have kicked yer ;-)!!

[/Aside]

What? 0.23g and 0.25g are no go? But your friend uses 0.23g himself... I mean if they sell them... I assume they're OK... maybe... :unsure:

I've heard a lot over this RoF vs Accuracy argument and you're right. I prefer RoF. But at the same time, I don't "hose" targets. In fact, I don't even use hi-caps, ever. Only hi-cap is my AK one from my DBoys.

Accuracy is just a finicky thing with airsoft guns. It's good sometimes when the conditions are right and the stars are aligned. But Mother Nature usually has a bigger say than you do in this department. :( And this is assuming you keep your barrel and hopup clean and oil free. A lot of people don't even do that.

RoF is entirely under your control. And its effect on hit probability is not a matter of opinion, it's simple math. From the same gun, if you can shoot 30 bbs a second, you are 33% more likely to hit that if you shoot 20 bbs a second. That's just math. No amount of wind, rain or humidity will throw those numbers off. :)

At the end of the day, it's not strict per BB accuracy, it's hit probability. A real steel M14 is bloody accurate, but on full auto it loses to an M16 on hit probability.

Now, I totally buy the realism argument. The TM EBBs are a riot to shoot, that's why I bought 2 of them! :D And I do love the sound, much better than than the whine of an AEG.

But I just can't agree that they are more accurate on full auto, or even semi, than well made non EBB AEGs, especially if the non EBB has been upgraded with a Marui hopup rubber. With no recoil, the EBBs do very well. IIRC Echigoya in Akihabara offered to turn off the recoil in new SOPMOD purchases if the customer requested. I know this cause when I asked them about the accuracy, the first thing they said was that the recoil is a factor against it, but it can be turned off.

Edited by Ecthelion

honestly the recoil doesnt affect it that much, lets behonest its not collar bone destroying is it. any one who cant hold it straight during firing seriously needs to get to the gym.

The sopmods for a certain type of player and thats the way we like it. Its for the milsimers who want to play all day none stop and for the 24hr events.

Its for those who want a cross between realism and practicality.

ROF is perfectly fine on the upgraded one.

for you ecthelion i recommend my 7.4v quickchange lipo battery and a 330 fps spring.

That will sort out any rof and accuracy concerns with heavy ammo.

Truth is and i own an m14 and the sopmods more accurate out of the box, forgetting m4s the m14s considered the best out of box accuracy of any gun. The sopmod m4s better becuase every time TM make a new hop they get better and better. and the sopmods hop is 6 years newer than the m14.

Our whole team has sopmods, we dominate. imagine all 6 guys defending a position all out ranging the enemy. They cant get close enough to hose us with there ROF.

With the recoil you really do adopt a different style of play. Your there and enjoying it. a guy a 50 meters, quick burst.. with 0.28s got him... its easy with the sopmod.

usmccorps its really sounds like your kind of gun, we just need to get you some more outside bits to play with.

had a lipo project in an AEP series gun this weekend that distracted me but ill keep cracking on with it this week.

check it out everyone loves a good gun video

Edited by Richard Y

The thing about the recoil is that it affects a "little" to the accuracy, but the issue for that kind of players is that it prevents them to write their name with their white laser hoses, a tragedy... waggle.gif

And Ecthelion, I understand your logic about "the more BBs I shoot, the most possibilities I have to hit the target" Im a table RPG player after all, but as rolling dices is a gamble, that style is a gamble too, what do I mean? It takes out your shooting skill, which I firmly believe is necessary too on this hobby. Am I naive enough to think that shooting skill is important? yes, since 80% of my shots are made on semi.