Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

How does the recoil compare? , Is it even noticeable ? I have a m4 GBB and the recoil is nothing to write home about.

Really think if the Recoil is 1/2 that of a GBB, it would be a better choice, GBB can't even been improved (I know their are lots of upgrade pats, but whats the point??? :angry:

All the Mags are completey useless Its like spending lots of money upgrading an AEG and not being able to buy working Batterys for it. They are the most important part and no Manufactor can make ones that don't leak. You can buy as many as you want, but when your playing Airsoft, The ones in your vest are leaking out their gas, so when you go for a mag change, they empty and you can't use them.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Recoil is noticeable in the sopmod, much lighter than a GBBR though... I got a socom and while the recoil is not going to break my arm, I like the sensation and the feedback felt, not to mention the reliability and performance OOTB, which any GBBR cant have even in their wettest dreams. RichardY is trying to improve this recoil though, and hope he success, then, this AEG will be just perfect :)

About the new RECCE... well, just regular sopmods with longer barrels and new rail... not impressed at all, I prefer my regular socom, much cheaper and able to use regular minis and nunchuck batteries.

How does the recoil compare? , Is it even noticeable ? I have a m4 GBB and the recoil is nothing to write home about.

Really think if the Recoil is 1/2 that of a GBB, it would be a better choice, GBB can't even been improved (I know their are lots of upgrade pats, but whats the point??? mad.gif

All the Mags are completey useless Its like spending lots of money upgrading an AEG and not being able to buy working Batterys for it. They are the most important part and no Manufactor can make ones that don't leak. You can buy as many as you want, but when your playing Airsoft, The ones in your vest are leaking out their gas, so when you go for a mag change, they empty and you can't use them.

I completely agree, i just cant get my head around the whole GBBr thing, if you cant play a whole day skirmishing with it...

I can use my sopmod all day long no hassle, love it.

I like the new SPR BUT i would have thought it would have been better to simply offer it as a add on part... but TM just dont do that...

Still i would love to get one, id fit a full stock and 11.1v battery, scope and make it single shot at 425fps. I think it would be the DMR that dreams are made of..

Just a question, would the Vltor A1 Clubfoot stock fit? I haven't bought one of the stocks to try out since I can't find one locally at the moment. Laylax has one version with the battery compartment too for normal AEG, but I am not sure on the compatibility with the Sopmod style crane stocks with the battery or even with the real A1 clubfoot stock.

Really think if the Recoil is 1/2 that of a GBB, it would be a better choice, GBB can't even been improved (I know their are lots of upgrade pats, but whats the point??? :angry:

Which GBBr do you have?

The WE and WA-based ones suck IMO and align with your comments.

The KJW rifle however works great out of the box with mags that don't leak.

Externally-powered GBB rifles alleviate all of your comments although people whine about the remote hose, regardless of the superior recoil.

Thus, the TM recoil series and the KJW GBBr are both good paths IMO for those that don't want to take the full plunge into externally-powered GBBr.

Edited by AustinWolv

Just a question, would the Vltor A1 Clubfoot stock fit? I haven't bought one of the stocks to try out since I can't find one locally at the moment. Laylax has one version with the battery compartment too for normal AEG, but I am not sure on the compatibility with the Sopmod style crane stocks with the battery or even with the real A1 clubfoot stock.

you might need to link me pics is the vltor a1 a mod stock or the a1 style full stock.

Size wise the stock should all fit on the sopmod, the stock pipes about 1mm wider than normal stock pipes which isnt really that much. But if you try and fit the sopmod stock on a normal aeg stockpipe, although it fits, the little pin which locks the adjustable stock in place doesnt reach the little locating holes, so it goes on, but slides up and down becuase its a little to wide.

so normal aeg stocks id invision a tight fit, but i should go one and worst case if the pin was to long its easier to shorten than it is to lengthen.

If its and a1 or a2 style full stock youll need to drill a hole in the sopmod endcap in the stock tube and push a bolt through from the inside so you can tighten a full stock on with out it being all loose. once the bolts nice and tight on there chop the excess off and fit the full stock end cap / battery cover. youll need to rewire but thats not a prob just run the wiring where the old wiring was but with some extra and leave it hanging in the full stock battery compartment. room for a mosfet too lol

mmmmmmm dmr and mosfet mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

isamu, really the sopmod would be fine at 400 fps it wont take much to knock up some 400 fps springs when the sprs come out.

Still i guess it would be cheaper fitting a g&p SPR front end and full stock than getting the recce spr lol just to make a DMR.

Edited by Richard Y

Thing is, RichardY, that you are the only one making springs for the sopmod over the 0.9J... I know I could take a stronguer spring and cut it, but its not an exact science and It could break the aeg if the length is not correct, which is something I wont risk doing... :lol:

I think you could make some 400/430 FPSs springs runs, our usa friends would love to have some high power springs for their... standards ;)

Yes, Im sure a G&P/Dboys SPR kit would be pretty much cheaper than the recce... the bad part is that theres no available long outer barrel... :(

you might need to link me pics is the vltor a1 a mod stock or the a1 style full stock.

Size wise the stock should all fit on the sopmod, the stock pipes about 1mm wider than normal stock pipes which isnt really that much. But if you try and fit the sopmod stock on a normal aeg stockpipe, although it fits, the little pin which locks the adjustable stock in place doesnt reach the little locating holes, so it goes on, but slides up and down becuase its a little to wide.

so normal aeg stocks id invision a tight fit, but i should go one and worst case if the pin was to long its easier to shorten than it is to lengthen.

If its and a1 or a2 style full stock youll need to drill a hole in the sopmod endcap in the stock tube and push a bolt through from the inside so you can tighten a full stock on with out it being all loose. once the bolts nice and tight on there chop the excess off and fit the full stock end cap / battery cover. youll need to rewire but thats not a prob just run the wiring where the old wiring was but with some extra and leave it hanging in the full stock battery compartment. room for a mosfet too lol

The A1 and A2 Vltor Mod Stock are actually ver similar in design with the exception of the small battery compartment, but here is a link to the real vltor stock

Edited by Shinden

long outer barrel ?

Yes, spr has an M16 long outer barrel, which about 509mm, so the sopmod outer barrel is a bit smaller, maybe a silencer would do the trick but a portion of the inner barrel would be "floating" in the silencer, reducing accuracy... :(

Personally I'm loving the look of the new SPR's. Don't know that i'll get one, but i do like that look! Being a Socom user im not a big fan of the SOPMOD batteries, which the SPR's will use.

I think we all know the problems with fitting V2-M4 specific barrels and rail systems to the Sopmod/socoms, so the SPR's are a bit more than sopmods with new rails and barrel.

If laylax would hurry up and put out the shims that were advertised 2 months ago then 3rd party free float rails wouldnt be so much of an issue!

On the barrel length issue... Looking at the poster, Im gonna go ahead and say I think TM are only releasing ONE (1) new model, and that it looks like they are offering a barrel extention with the gun! so perhaps more 3rd party manufacturers will release barrel extensions!? then you can get a 10.5" barrel, the rail system of your choice and a barrel extension!?

I'd like to think that I could get the different Sopmod/Socom versions and have alot of interchangable rifs, which would be true to a point. But with the gun being a bit...fiddly, to work with its not gonna happen. This sort of thing would only really be vible with the SOpmod, so you dont have the issue with the foreward running wires to worry about.

If i had a little more faith in the rear wired versions I might give it a go!

Surely by now you'd think there was an alternative to wires and batteries! lol :D

Tried sourcing that magic box kit to buy in bulk direct but cant find the manufacturer.. lol how do they expect to sell if i cant even contact them lol

anyone know if magic box has a manufacturers website?

good or bad product anything sopmod related im happy to stock!

Hey guys, Just got back from Operation Pine Plains in Fort Drum, NY and I just wanted to give my review on this gun on the battlefield:

Performance

The TM Sopmod M4 was the model I bought. Words cannot describe how great this gun performed! With the following upgrades:

1. Metal Bushings

2. Madbull Hopup Rubber + Madbull sharkbone Hopup Nub

3. Cut M100 spring ~ Fps was 290 with .25g bb

I was hitting targets at 200 feet without an issue. The Hopup system is HANDS DOWN the best I've EVER used. I've used ics m16 hopup systems, regualr m4 hopup, G3, etc, etc. Really nothing compares to the accuracy of this system!

Keep in mind, my TM Sopmod was firing at 290 fps!!! It was on par with my team mates' Systema PTW on a GOLD Cylinder in terms of distance!

Please check out the video below, it was taken from my Contour HD helmet cam. towards the end, you can see me shooting at a red brick house which was around 200 feet away. My shots were flying in very straight!

Op: Pine Plain Footage

Magazines:

I LOVE the TM Sopmod Mag and bolt catch design. it makes such a big difference that when you're out of bbs, your aeg stops firing. Saved my *albartroth* a few times during room clearing!

One thing I have to say is, I don't know if this has happened to other people, but my mags did not feed properly at all. i tried the following:

1. Different brand bbs

2. Cleaning it via Eagle6 Tutorial

3. Diff weight bb's

The symptoms were:

1. BB's did not feed after 40 rounds.

2. Had to push mag up to feed the remaining rounds

My conclusion was:

1. The mags are not sitting high enough for it to feed.

2. lemon Magazine catch maybe?

My solution:

1. I took some thin cardboard, and folded it twice, and cut it up so it is slightly smaller than the width of the magazine

2. I took apart the magazine

3. Placed the cardboard under the magazine.

4. Screwed the magazine back in place.

5. notice the inner magazine will now sit 1mm-2mm higher than unmodded.

6. Now all my magazines feed properly!

What I didn't Like

The following are things I do not like about this AEG:

1. Weak spring on the charging handle. bends too easily,they should really beef it up

2. Wobbly Crane stock! My stock can wobbly out of box, any remedies?

3. Metal Bushings not a standard. I mean for godsakes..it's 2010...

4. Extremely tight tolerances makes fitting a Mosfet unit almost impossible on the Sopmod M4.

Edited by mrezzy

good mod for the mag, i heard something awhile back about the first batch being recalled due to an issue with the mag catch, dont qoute me on it but thats what i heard. I had heard it had been sorted but who knows, problem is once the guns out of japan you basically have no way to deal with tm even though theres a parts order page in the back of your manual.

Cut spring /me weeps into my giant bag of sopmod springs.. i might actually make a 400 fps spring just so you can own your ptw mates

the hop unit is mental, i actually think its the best hop thats currently out there, it out ranges the m14.

i made this little connector to replace the connector on the back of the sopmod, its about 2 - 3 mm wider than to previous connector, and a little taller, it pushes slightly on the stock tunnel on the inside. What it means is when the stock trys wobble left right up or down it cant becuase the connectors in the way. Basically removing the stock wobble, bit of a prototype though.

11052010369.jpg

One more question, I made a one point sling with a couple of zip ties and some paracord and attached it to the bufffer tube, it wont damage the recoil system, right?

Sorry for all the noobish questions, but this AEG is a whole different world for me :lol:

Thanks for the answer Richard, I will look into it :)

EDIT: you mean to take the recoil weight out and see if the AEG still shoots?

EDIT2: I took out the recoil weigth and tested the AEG, there was al amost unnoticeable sound, but when I put the weigth in again, the sound was much much more obvious... I can live with it if it doesnt break the AEG :(

Edited by Isamu

From what I can see the bolt stop mechanism on the gearbox side of things is pretty infallible. It is literally a lever that does an 'on/off' thing.

I'd bet money on the problem lying with your magazines and they are not feeding properly. Hence they are not stopping with what appears to be the last round.

I had this with mine.

Gave my mags a bit of a clean and lube and they all feed fine now (and incidentally it did mess with my hop a bit) and bolt stop function is flawless.

To make sure it is the mags and not the catch, get a mag that works, and just run it through a few times. If it works all the time, it's pointing to your magazines.

If it still plays up, then there really is something more serious.

One more question, I made a one point sling with a couple of zip ties and some paracord and attached it to the bufffer tube, it wont damage the recoil system, right?

Sorry for all the noobish questions, but this AEG is a whole different world for me laugh.gif

Thanks for the answer Richard, I will look into it smile.gif

EDIT: you mean to take the recoil weight out and see if the AEG still shoots?

EDIT2: I took out the recoil weigth and tested the AEG, there was al amost unnoticeable sound, but when I put the weigth in again, the sound was much much more obvious... I can live with it if it doesnt break the AEG sad.gif

You really should go in and give it a service if you think somethings not quite right..

Hey guys, Just got back from Operation Pine Plains in Fort Drum, NY and I just wanted to give my review on this gun on the battlefield:

I was on Alpha 3-6 with my socom and I regularly blasted folks peeking out of the murder holes from 100 feet. If it wasn't for the wind, I would have had a ton of more crazy shots. 175-200ft shots were perfectly normal, however, at that distance, the wind took my shots for a vacation. The gun shoots so straight that I ended up just using the irons then a set of red-dots.

No issues with the gun all weekend. Multiple guns on my squad and others around me went down, but this badboy keeps ticking. I was shooting 300fps with .28s on a cutdown and well used pdi 170, plastic bushings, pdi 05 and shredder fishbone. I'm a happy camper!