Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I don't want to accuse the owner of a website I've only just seen today of lying, but it seems really odd that no one else has ever done it before, and I'm yet to figure out how to do it, despite some heavy thinking. Since the UBR requires you totally get rid of the normal buffer tube (I'm pretty sure at least) and the inside of the upper part of the stock acts as the buffer tube, all I could guess is that they've used a GBBr version stock, and by some sheer luck the recoil weights just happen to fit and the threads match up; seems highly improbable though.

I had the same doubt as you CKinnerley, I would really like to know how they did it, more out of curiosity than wanting to use an UBR in my socom :) but I dont think its anykind of fake as IIRC echigoya is a pretty famous shop in Tokyo :)

Anyway, Im eager to see how you fit an M16 stock in a sopmod as I want to make a DMR M16 :bleh: cant wait

If you guys got the link to the page of the UBR stock on the Sopmod/SOCOM, do let me know. I'd be happy to ask/buy to try. I'm a UBR freak.

[Edit: That's ok, I think I found it...http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_35&product_id=185]

Richard, welcome to (what was) my world :D. Those cut-off levers do wear out quite easily. My new one's showing little signs of wear already! Anyhow, I can go buy. They had a few left on the shelf (maybe 2-3 more). How many do you need? They're approx Y540 (or USD$6 each)?

Edited by AnakChan

that would be awesome dude id probably get a couple if they have them! one for this one and one incase it happens again.

Hopefully laylax make a hardened one soon.

Just pm me the price and your paypal and ill send you what ever they cost plus delivery. cheers bud

If they have an anti reverse latch on the shelf id have one of them too ! i sort of broken my anti reverse spring :P its kind of straight now .. doesnt spring much..

Aviabliable Soon - Tokyo Marui electric gun for the next generation of hard gear (tentative)

from the laylax website... hard what ? hard gears ? hard cut of lever becuase they saw are blight.

no link.. finally more laylax stuff biggrin.gif

Edited by Richard Y

Boy you really spend more time on the JP sites than I do. With translation & all biggrin.gif.

I guess Magic Box did it, Laylax didn't wanna be out done tongue.gif.

i live and breath sopmods lol

One thing i did notice when shimming the gears if you spin the gears its extremely heavy on one side, the magic box ones have the balance holes on them to make it even im assuming, so as you spin it with your hand it "feels" like its even in its weight distribution.

Will be nice to spend more money on an upgrade that i dont really need ;) looking forward to it :P

I put one of those on my Socom just last night and it fit fine. It was a bit tightvwhen I first put it on, and the motor was not happy, but it was fine as soon as I made adjustment. I think you will be OK.

IMHO, U need one of these to work nicely. Stock PTS MIADs seem to push the motors in too high 'cos the motor base doesn't fit into the base grip properly. But these "optional" base grips work much better. I've tried with Systema and VFC motors.

Of course you can fix the problem by loosening the base grip altogether, or by adding shims but if you want the base grip on tight, then the PTS base grips work. Can show pics if needed.

Here's what I mean about the standard MIAD base vs the optional item PTS Base :-

Bases1.jpg

A Systema motor in the PTS metal base (note how the motor sits flush into the base :-

Bases2.jpg

Same Systema motor in the stock PTS MIAD base (see how the motor props up by a few millimeters) :-

Bases3.jpg

See this thread :-

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=184017&st=0&p=2311530&hl=Miad%20%20Motor%20%20height&fromsearch=1entry2311530

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=184624&st=0&p=2317639&hl=%20MIAD%20%20Motor%20%20Height&fromsearch=1entry2317639 (strangely CKinnerley said the same thing about upgrading the base to the optional item metal PTS Base - wish I saw this message before!)

Edited by AnakChan

If you guys got the link to the page of the UBR stock on the Sopmod/SOCOM, do let me know. I'd be happy to ask/buy to try. I'm a UBR freak.

[Edit: That's ok, I think I found it...http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_35&product_id=185]

Please do let us all know soon as you get any info at all on that mate, I'm extremely keen to find out I must admit.

Here's what I mean about the standard MIAD base vs the optional item PTS Base :-

*snip snip*

See this thread :-

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=184017&st=0&p=2311530&hl=Miad%20%20Motor%20%20height&fromsearch=1entry2311530

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=184624&st=0&p=2317639&hl=%20MIAD%20%20Motor%20%20Height&fromsearch=1entry2317639 (strangely CKinnerley said the same thing about upgrading the base to the optional item metal PTS Base - wish I saw this message before!)

Yep, metal base plate upgrade is pretty much a necessity, certainly has been for me. I suppose the motor used might make a difference, I've been sticking with the stock ones, but no matter how far in/out I adjust it I could never get the weapon to cycle with the standard plastic base plate fitted; and I've tried both MOE and MIAD grips.

So I've decided to jump on the bandwagon, ordered myself an M4 SOCOM and a load of magazines. Got an Eagle 6 M100 spring, cheers Richard! It's turned up today so I figure I'll shove a 9.6v mini in this thing and see how it shoots at stock.

Wait a minute...

:(

Where did you buy from? That's a pretty poor show on the retailer's part.

Is the upgrade of the grip necessary or a bit of dremmeling would be enough to make the motor fit in the base?

Depends how thick the brass (looks like brass anyway) adjustment screw is in the plastic base plate. I'm not convinced myself that there would be enough 'spare' material to dremel away and still maintain the structural integrity, particularly considering you'd be removing a couple of threads so the ones remaining will be left under quite a lot of pressure holding the motor in place. For the sake of the couple of dollars it costs, I'd definitely recommend going for the upgrade personally.

So I've decided to jump on the bandwagon, ordered myself an M4 SOCOM and a load of magazines. Got an Eagle 6 M100 spring, cheers Richard! It's turned up today so I figure I'll shove a 9.6v mini in this thing and see how it shoots at stock.

Wait a minute...

DEQUi.jpg

sad.gif

lol fail...

Welcome to the club though! even if its the wrong one :D

on the plus side the spring fits in any recoil gun whether its the one you ordered or not :P

So there are a few ways :-

1) file away the motor base so that it'll fit in the groove (no thanks)

2) add shims to the base screws so that the base 'sticks out' (for me, also no thanks but seems to be a popular option)

Anyhow, some misc independent updates :-

Magic Box: Piston broke on me, last tooth - my $40 (yes that's what it costs in Tokyo :P) investment lasted less than a week. Back to original stock piston I guess - afterall TM's Pistons are generally quite hard. I don't wanna blame Magic Box 'cos dStole will tell you my guns break -every- game (well almost).

Laylax Hard Gears: Seems the "last" (July 2010) ARMS magazine has got a photo of the Laylax Hard Gears. I can scan in and PM the pictures to ppl if wanted but rather not put the scan here. PM me.

Richard: Picked up 2xcutoff lever. PM me your address

CKinnerley: The Echigoya Custom Sopmod UBR is indeed the blowback EBB Sopmod, and it is a UBR. Firstly, you should be aware that the stock ACM - not PTS. Confirmed by Echigoya. Secondly, the actual buffer tube is original TM buffer tube that's been lathed/filed so that it'll take the UBR stock.

piggeh: congratultions on your purchase.

Edited by AnakChan