Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Is the fet really needed? I already have an awesome trigger response and the ROF with a nunchuch 9.6v is impressive too, more than I would ever need :)

I plan on putting a guarder 6.02 TB or a Tanio Koba twist barrel... still doubting as I dont really know how the guarder performs (but its half the price) and the TK which is said to perform great at such power but its twice the price :(

Im waiting for echigoya to tell me how much it is a stock TM CQB barrel for the socom carbine... so, too many "ifs" to my TB purchase unsure.gif

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

The Fet is more for trigger switch protection rather than for improved trigger response and ROF (although you do get that too). But my Fet is Gandolf's (Extreme Fire's) AB-FET for full spring decompression.

I was in Echigoya today, and for barrel only for a 10.3" (guess that's CQB enough) is approx Y4000-Y4500 - yes this is 3rd party, not TM (USD$47.00 - USD$52.00).

I honestly can't comment too much about TK twist. There's been so much mixed opinions about it. I do have a 247mm TK twist in my P90 and PDI 6.01mm of the same length. My personal experience is they're both as good & as accurate as each other...just different approaches to the same result. But I'm in Japan where it's under 1J. Maybe over 1J the story's different.

New Gear sets from RiotSC at Airsoft mechanics are now available to order via the forums at Airsoft mechanics..

Ill just link you what he sent me its easier, these have to be pointed out are very high end gears but also very expensive, please stop reading now if you have a heart condition or an empty wallet..

"Hi Richard,

I just thought you'd like to know that the latest production batch of the Shock & Recoil Engine gear set has finally been finished. smiley.gif It took a long while since I made some revisions. It also didn't help that a certain Japanese shop bought them as quickly as I made them. lol.gif In any case, here is a picture of the current production version:

GS-B-SR.jpg

The sector gear is single-piece construction CNC machined from nickel chromoly steel with nitride hardened case. The step gear is a laser welded two-piece construction also CNC machined from nickel chromoly steel with nitride hardened case. The new nitriding process produces a nice dark finish, which I actually prefer. tongue.gif Due to the higher costs of the material and production processes though, the gear set will likely retail for US$130 to US$140.

Best regards,

Danny"

Looks good, my only issue is the cost, i know they are nitride hardened and metal can be pricey in bulk etc but shipping from the us to the uk is always expensive and none of the US sellers EVER mark the packet as a gift so we always get stung for customs... so for me if i was to order these right now it would cost at least 110 pounds incl customs and shipping... maybe more.. Thats almost the price of a brand new Tokyo Marui MEU pistol... i love my sopmod but i think any more than 60 pounds for a set of gears is too much...

Theres a point at which you have to draw the line between profit/cost and a maximum price people will be willing to pay for some thing.. if my springs cost 15 pounds each to make and i sold them at 30 pounds for example no one would buy them.

Im all for supporting dannys hard work but with prometheus releasing theres just around the corner and magic boxes gears already out "which i already considered to be over priced" at 95 dollars. I dont know if theres a place for these. Since all we need is a gearset which isnt cheap cast monkey metal.. which is well balanced and has a decent activation of the cut off lever... I have to wonder why everyones charging so much for 3 small gears..

lets hear everyones opinions on this

If my gears ever break... I will just order the hornbill ones... they cant be worse than TM ones and Im sure they can withstand the maximum abuse I will put them through, a 400/430FPS spring.

So, thanks for the hard work Danny, but im not your target customer :)

So wait, say I dont upgrade this gun what so ever. Will it last long? Cause to be honest ive had 2 aegs and im impressed but Ive never really ventured into TM's so what do you guys say? Or is it better to get like another aeg or gbb if i want the realism?

mine lasted a good year or so before a sector gear broke.. i was running it on lipos from the start though..

its got one weak point that sector gear, even under normal use the last tooth starts to wear..

get the gun its the best and most accurate gun youll ever own.. read through the thread we may all have things we want to do to the gun, but no one on here will say anything bad about the range or accuracy... as its so good. What more do you want from an aeg..

mine lasted a good year or so before a sector gear broke.. i was running it on lipos from the start though..

its got one weak point that sector gear, even under normal use the last tooth starts to wear..

get the gun its the best and most accurate gun youll ever own.. read through the thread we may all have things we want to do to the gun, but no one on here will say anything bad about the range or accuracy... as its so good. What more do you want from an aeg..

Ok, then I shall be ordering this gun looks convincing enough im not gonna upgrade it at all lets see how well it does. I was looking at the G&P LMT, but this gun seems soo much cooler! But the only thing that ive read so far that it doesnt work too well in the winter and I live in PA that gets to about 20 F in the winter and up to 90 in the later summer. So, Would this gun work well in the winter or should I go with another AEG thats just as good as this?

Edited by ahadsz

i dont think cold should be an issue, the battery packs however are small 1300mah with out upgrading them, and 8.4v. Im not saying there will be but if there was a poor connection / low battery charge. This would be exagerated by the cold. Just use nice charger like the imax and you will be fine.

Didnt test mine in cold weather but if you have any doubts about the stock battery, get a socom, a couple of 7.4v lipos and put them under a rail, same gun, better deal I love mine so much im ordering a couple of lipos to put a rail and rise the "tactic00lness bar" :lol:

Well im not so good at modding lol, but I think Ill stick with this gun as it is sick looking and awesome. The other thing is what would look better sight wise, the holographic or the sight that is on an xm8 rifle heres a link to it.

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_182&products_id=32581

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_182&products_id=28611

Richard, damn!! I wish I knew RiotRC was working on next gen gears! I'd much prefer buy his over the Magic Box ones! They do look very sweet.

Chef, that's not much of a Sopmod question but anyhow I've got both. I've never liked the Madbull buckings 'cos they were a PITA to put in. I don't know what thickness they use for their buckings with every hop chamber (V2, V3, V6, next gen) it's a very tight squeeze. Firefly, expensive but very accurate - to me well worth the $$ (but that's me). If you want a compromise (value for $$), go search for guarder clear buckings too.

I could have sworn i posted about it on here, my bad sean.. i was hoping he would have had them out a while back, he had prototypes made well before magic boxes. but alas his first ones must have sold to shops that patrol airsoft mechnics for the lastest and greatest.

firefly buckings are about the only one with a try v affect and even hop on each side, with the flat nub its solid and even. The build quality is like anormal TM which is acctually a good thing just with a more advanced style to it.

Madbull stuff ... is good and they market well but its hit or miss as to whether any of there stuff seems to fit.. they have good ideas though.

Here´s a pic of mine.

dsc_0081vw7f.jpg

I installed the new Marui three position rear sling adaptor. Fits great and takes away the stress from the stock. Only disadvantage of the SOPMOD: You have to buy anything on your own. And most of all I missed sling swivels. But I love my SOPMOD...though I lost the trigger pin last game :(

Edited by Boba_Fett

yeah, sorry Anakchan....

It is SOPMOD related, because I want it for my SOCOM (my bad). Just in the process of upgrading my barrel. Was going for a Prometheus barrel, just was wondering over the hop rubber.

Not being an AEG user normally (boltie for me), I'm a little out of date on all this. I'd heard the Shark was pretty good, then I see everyone raving about the Firefly one, so was just after some feedback on it.

firefly set, youll love it, get it from firesupport before they run out, theve been out of stock for 6 months as every order went on preorders... another day and someone will make the decision for you :PHeres some more info from danny about the gears, i wanted specifics!" I do offer the sector gear by itself if that is all people need. Besides the unrivaled durability, the sector gear is rotational weight balanced for better energy efficiency as well. It also comes with my standard advanced cut-off cam that reduces cut-off lever reset time, which lowers the likelihood of a trigger switch jam.A benefit with the complete gear set is its 20:1 ratio instead of the stock 18:1 ratio. Due to the higher loading with the recoil mechanisms, the 11% torque improvement can provide longer battery runtime. The step gear's pinion has been thickened too to provide more even load distribution. If people want to run higher rate springs, they can do so with my gears without worrying about gear set durability."

had my sopmod for about 4 months now, its been to the mall, cag and my local site in ipswich, its never missed a beat, but i figured id roll out the ol' trusty ak for the afternoon games yesterday. Its just not the same, dont get me wrong i love my ak, its just it doesnt have that "clak clak" ness.

im now looking at upgrading it, slapped a v-hop in it in april before we went to the mall, the range on it now is insane, even though i do seem to get a few flyers,

on the whole, best aeg ive owned .

Well im not so good at modding lol, but I think Ill stick with this gun as it is sick looking and awesome. The other thing is what would look better sight wise, the holographic or the sight that is on an xm8 rifle heres a link to it.

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_182&products_id=32581

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_182&products_id=28611

to be honest mate i"d say nether me personaly i"d say get an ACOG type , much better looking ;)

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_182&products_id=26699

not got a set... i wish i could afford 110 quid on a gear set... lol

With people trying to run faster and faster no with better battery options, riot reminded me that the reason my piston might have did is the recoil weight return time.. at 19 rps odds are the recoil weight wasnt returning full each time, that means each time the gears where picking the piston up on the FIRST tooth and is essence catching the recoil weight mid return lol If this is the case i cant believe it lasted as long as it did.. those TM pistons can take a pounding.. this is the problem theres no WAY to tell if you piston isnt returning in time..

If anyone feels like they are pushing a higher ROF and would like a 2x times strength recoil return spring i have them ready made, obviously at the time i made them to try and enhance recoil, that didnt work so i ditched the project untill the recoil weights came out to return them faster as they will weigh twice as much..

So if people want them they are available, dont feel like you need to fit them though they are simply a preventative measure, on there own they have no noticable down sides from fitting them, there dont slow down rof or anything.. they just kick the recoil weight back a bit faster.

V hop is when the hop rubber doesnt just apply hop to the top of the bb its when it comes down on the top and slightly on the sides as well, imparting even spin on both sides..

hop-rubber-miss-alignment-1.jpg

See how there is potential for uneven hop with a standard system, if the normal tm hop unit is misaligned theres potnetial for side spin on the bb

With the firefly the flat nub provides a solid even base, and the inside of the firely is 3 dimples.. instead of the usual lump,, these dimples seem to form a similar shape to the lump when installed but due to the missing gaps in the dimples the bbcomes through and seems to get an even amount of spin on the middle, left and right side of the bb.. alignments also important on the firefly too much you get the idea.. its not so much a v inactaul shape but the idea is that it comes down on both sides instead of just the top... more surface area to touch there for more chance of even effect on the bb.

Edited by Richard Y

Thanks Richard, I will never go to bed without learning something new :)

Im anxious to get back my socom from the mechanic :D

EDIT: talked to the mech and he says my socom is shooting 335/340fps, any recomendation for a precision inner barrel, my two options now are the Tanio Koba and Guarder 6.02mm, im not fixed on those two, but yes on the price range (60$ max)

BTW: my field limits are 350Fps, so I wouldnt like a tightbore making the socom too "hot" unsure.gif

Edited by Isamu

Thanks elanaiba, Im planing to use it with a stock tm hop rubber and SCS nub, or at least until the TM rubber wears off, as I think replacing an excelent rubber for a 20$ one is not really worth it :) do you think it will improve the effective range over the stock barrel/rubber+scs? I dont really care about fps i just want to improve effective range and if I have less FPS, the better