Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

So I've been jumping around the pages and have got a lot of good info. However, I couldnt find specifically someone saying they upgraded the spring in their SOPMOD. I may have not looked hard enough (skimming). Anyways, has anyone installed a stronger spring in their SOPMOD and had positive results?

Thanks.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Guarder 0.28s have worked great in mine for 2 years.. must have been bad bag or some dirt in the mag.

Not just me as well.. the other guys on the team with sopmods use them as well. Always have done as they are/where the only decent 0.28 option in a decent sized bag for a decent amount of money.

did you try other ammo or cleaning the mags ?

Yes most of the mags seem to do it. I can see the problem. While they are jammed you can look into the top of the bb hole and see 2 bbs almost side by side in there just before the point of release. I have opened them up etc but they are fairly new :S

Its like the follower springs cannot handle the weight of the bbs lol

not the first person to describe this issue, but it seems to be few and far between, next time its open take the follower and move it up and down in the runner on both sides of the casing lots of time make sure the it has free and clear operation, even if you think it might be fine, do it any way. If the followers free and clear the spring should be plenty strong enough to feed the bbs. Mine i live filled for weeks and months even though i shouldnt and they still always feed. You always have the option to add a little lube some dont like to incase it gets on the bsb but you have the option maybe just apply it to the follwer when you move it up and down the runners to check for free movment. The tolelrances / manufacturing may have come up a little to tight on some mags, and there for requires simulation of "use" to free it up a little.

Edited by Richard Y

I also had a jammed mag last game weekend I was playing. Only one magazine was affected. I guess it is because of the mid-type layout of the magazine and caused by the diameter of the bbs. As the diameter of the BBs within any batch are not that precise this error might happen or not. I had the same problem with the so-called TM VN lowcaps that are in fact also mid-type mags. But with these ones its even worse.

The Fet is more for trigger switch protection rather than for improved trigger response and ROF (although you do get that too). But my Fet is Gandolf's (Extreme Fire's) AB-FET for full spring decompression.

I was in Echigoya today, and for barrel only for a 10.3" (guess that's CQB enough) is approx Y4000-Y4500 - yes this is 3rd party, not TM (USD$47.00 - USD$52.00).

I honestly can't comment too much about TK twist. There's been so much mixed opinions about it. I do have a 247mm TK twist in my P90 and PDI 6.01mm of the same length. My personal experience is they're both as good & as accurate as each other...just different approaches to the same result. But I'm in Japan where it's under 1J. Maybe over 1J the story's different.

Does the CQB-R barrel use normal AEG inner barrels?

hi guys,

I have just been doing a bit of testing and am after your thoughts/experience/test results.

My Socom shoots at 295 fps with .28 bbs with the HOP OFF all the way (approx 350 with .20)

However you need a fair amoint of hop to shoot a .28 straigh which means the fps is reduces considerably. Approx 265 fps with .28 and HOP APPLIED.

The above reduction only really seems to apply to these sopmod hop units though as I have not noticed such a difference in other AEGs and .28s.

Question: Do you think replacing the .28 with a .25 will increase fps in to areas, first one obviously being a lighter bb travels faster but second the hop will apply less friction and therefor more fps do shoot it straight? I only ask because I have no .25s to test...

thoughts?

The hop unit has more of an affect on the bb than most a bit like an m14 hop unit. Also different hop nubs will have different affects. I found the standard nub from the sopmod to be slightly larger than a normal hop rubber, just at a glance i didnt measure or anything.

Any ways all of these factors affect how much hop and what kind of spin is applied...

Before blaming the ammo i would diffinatly revist your hop rubber espcially since you mentioned feeding issues..

Maybe a change and see what results you get with something else, or refit what you have, checking that it isnt bunched up or miss aligned or worn.

Heres some results after testing. The Socom has a tk barrel, firefly soft rubber and flat nub, eagle6 spring.

All measurments are with straight flight with only tiny lift for the maximum accurate range.

.20 Marui - 345-350 fps

.25 Excel - 285-290 fps

.28 Guarder - 257-265 fps

Very similar results can be round on changeing the nubs between stock and flat firefly.

Tonight I will test guarder.25s

Range seems to be fairly similar with all. Possible a tad better with .25 and .20 but then the fps is dramaticly lower on a .28 than a .2.

Accuracy though is best with .28 ofc.

yup seems like the whole world jumping on the bandwagon now sales are picking up. Everyones starting to figure out they can get some wicked range and accuracy out of them hehe.

SHS gears look alright, nice and affordable, good find.

sniper those figures seem about right its always been a trade off with heavy ammo, which is why its so important to maximise your fps as high as you can when using 0.28s.

Mine chronos about 280fps est. with 0.28s But the accuracy travels fuurther and holds straighter. but with a slower speed to target.

Like in the real world ammo weights make a difference to how you shoot and is often choosen based on what situation your in. Range you would need a heavier weight ammo, CQB lighter faster rounds would be more important, so you would change down and run faster ammo with a lot less hop for a straighter shot from your gun.

SHS gears in general had a good review on ASM at the start but later (like after 2-3 months of use) ASM members started to complain of axle breaks. Don't know how frequent/common these breaks occurred though. Still at more than 1/3-1/4 the cost of Magicbox gears, it may be worth it.

Doing a bit of research, have found these lipos,

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7312

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7362

Do you think they would fit under a Kac Rail in a SOCOM? I have already removed the heatshield to make a bit more space... :) I know the firefox 7.4v batteries fit, but these look much more higher quality and bigger mah rate, but after making some sizing im not 100% sure

Doing a bit of research, have found these lipos,

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7312

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7362

Do you think they would fit under a Kac Rail in a SOCOM? I have already removed the heatshield to make a bit more space... :) I know the firefox 7.4v batteries fit, but these look much more higher quality and bigger mah rate, but after making some sizing im not 100% sure

Not sure pal, the lipo I use in my MOE grip are a bit larger than that, so a KAC rail!? im not sure, but if they do let me know! want some proper 'Rail-estate'!