Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

For all those who stripped their lower receiver and buffer tube threads (which BTW, the metal is so ######, strips soo easily!), i found a cheap temp solution. Get some electrical tape, and wrap it tight around the stripped buffer tube threads. Give it a good 3-4 rounds of tape. Now it should be nice and tight!

I was actually going to buy Dynamic's Socom, until i fixed my sopmod today...so if anyone wants a really good deal on a TM SOCOM, please check out dynamic e's post!!

hi the threads dont strip if your carefull with them and also they are only lower in hieght.. not completely striped unless yours is different.

Youve got options like the new laylax locking ring.. which will grip more of the thread..

its actually the first threads and the locking ring which lose there there threads..

what i did on one sopmod to get round it, the customer had used his gun while the locking ring wasnt tight enough.. this basicaly mashes the threads when the recoil fires.. over time.

what i did was SAND the back of the gearbox casing... this allows the stock tube to screw in further, i did it till it completely lines up the tube and reciver... tightly.

Then i simply added the locking ring for extra strength, it now tighten becuase more Good thread was showing..

you have to be carefull to not cross thread it and make sure you use correct length springs...

you have to be carefull to not cross thread it and make sure you use correct length springs...

I think you've hit the keyword there. Incorrect length/tension would require more attempts in putting in that buffer tube (and that's what caused my thread wear).

I know this was discussed before and I gave Richard a scan from the Arms magazine but I don't recall seeing detail pics. But seems now Laylax has finally released their gears at MagicBox Gear prices :P :-

http://www.laylax.com/products/detail.php?product_id=4535

09082145_4c87856e80fca.jpg

09082145_4c8785730c0df.jpg

09082145_4c87857703c31.jpg

Edited by AnakChan

And since I'm on a roll here next Gen PMags!

http://www.echigoya.co.jp/html/products/list.php?mode=search&category_id=&maker_id=&name=%E6%AC%A1%E4%B8%96%E4%BB%A3%E5%AF%BE%E5%BF%9C+%E5%AE%9F%E7%89%A9P-MAG+&search.x=31&search.y=7

I have no idea who makes them (doesn't look like Magpul PTS or maybe they do?). But not cheap.

09061956_4c84c8dade202.jpg

09061956_4c84c8d5e58c1.jpg

09061956_4c84c8cb16ea7.jpg

09061956_4c84c8df79277.jpg

Edited by AnakChan

I just want to add guys that with a good mosfet, this gun is absolutely BANANAS!

I had a infected airsoft mosfet installed, and the trigger response was just orgasmic. Unfortunately, because of my poor choice of wiring ( 22 awg, solid core PVC insulation ) the wires melted :(

Next up is a Extreme-fire cheetah, can't wait to see what this baby can do with the 3 rd burst.

Anyone know if 22awg Telfon, stranded wiring is good enough for a 7.4V lipo setup?

Edited by mrezzy

Is your M4 a front or rear wire one? I may just keep my M4 and finish doing it up. As for the wiring, it's down to current draw. If you are running a relatively stock marui, 22AWG is probably on the edge, but if it is upgraded, count on getting something thicker to handle the current demands. 18AWG is probably going to be a better size. If you are running a front wire setup like me though, it will probably be pretty tedious running it through the front end.

On those hornbill gears, how is the quality? With the parts availability now, I dont see a problem juicing this gun to higher FPS's

Edited by dynamic_e

The laylax gears look nice! pricey though. certainly somehting I wouldnt do unless I had to (when my OEM gears pop their clogs)

As for the Pmags, I saw a Youtube video a while back demonstrating these, I meant to post it but didnt get around to it. Now I cant find them! there were 2 vids of them in use. Looked very stiff to remove from the mag well. (better than too lose though!)

#5, I'd be interested in that Youtube video you're referring to. Are you sure those aren't the standard P-Mags with a Pakyama adapter? The above P-Mags posted are the recoil shock magazines (the ones that do engage the bolt stop/release).

uscm,

I think the above are ACM (at least in Japanese the site says "no brand"), instead of RS PMags being modded. If I'm not mistaken, RS magazines are usually somewhat slimmer than AEG mags?

Is your M4 a front or rear wire one? I may just keep my M4 and finish doing it up. As for the wiring, it's down to current draw. If you are running a relatively stock marui, 22AWG is probably on the edge, but if it is upgraded, count on getting something thicker to handle the current demands. 18AWG is probably going to be a better size. If you are running a front wire setup like me though, it will probably be pretty tedious running it through the front end.

On those hornbill gears, how is the quality? With the parts availability now, I dont see a problem juicing this gun to higher FPS's

yea 18awg is gonna be insane to wire to the front. I'll def need to dremel everything to get the wire through!

Anak,

The link you provided say that they are made by Echigoya. Echigoya has been making a number of custom items for the blow back, so maybe this is one of those items.

I spoke to them once about their batteries, and they told me that they buy Tokyo Marui batteries, gut them, throw out the plastic battery box, add a cell, and put them in a new battery shell. Hence the price. Maybe they are doing the same here... gutting a P-mag and replacing the internals with the M4 mags. Would explain the nearly 100 US price tag :(

I found this, but it's not Japanese so maybe not the same thing...

Here is a guy that made his own...

http://kyon2ctu.militaryblog.jp/e109590.html

Found It.

The description explains that they did in fact modify P-mags to fit the standard M4 mags.

It also says they only made 100 of them to start. Buy yours soon Anak

They also say it's a tight fit.

Edited by dstole