Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

I was looking at a L119a1 build as well, but it's harder to do with the sopmod due to the recoil engine taking up the space in the stock tube that you would otherwise use. The options seem to be external bag, PEQ battery box or very thin lipos in the front. I did wonder about the possibility of a quick change battery using metal contacts and lipos built into a supressor on the front, but that would take more skill than I possess (calling RichardY, job opportunity).

While I'm posting, is an armourer's wrench a necessity for removing the delta ring or can you get along without it?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Actually I intend to make a 10" SFW from a Socom, as that one is front-wired, and use a peq-15 for the batteries. But as for the 16" I would prefer to have it rear-wired, not making the gun to heavy in front, and keeping it "clean".

The 10" though: Peq-15 with batteries, Surefire Scout, tactical foregrip.........

The eagle6 Spring the m100 is what you want, it will get you about 330 on a completely stock gun, and a bit more if you fit upgrades, upto about 350 max.

Ive order alocking ring lol with the latest promy order but alas only one and it will probably sell before its even arrived, ill order more soon.

heres an upgrades list

Definative Sopmod Upgrade List

How I miss having one of these. Unfortunately I haven't the free time nor the disposable income to play airsoft regularly again. If I still had mine I'll get one of those Prometheus gears in a heartbeat. Oh, and buying them from stores other than Laylax's website will be cheaper by just over 1,000 Yen.

Regarding the cancellation of the Recce rifle, if it were cancelled, why do stores still take preorders? It's currently re-scheduled (for the nth time) to mid-November.

On the expansion of TM's EBB line, I'll believe it when I see it. But if they were to ask my take on it, they should instead make a UMP45 GBB. The technology is there (full auto Hi-Capa, select-fire G18C GBB, both having long magazines). They only need to fit it in a UMP frame and they're done.

How I miss having one of these. Unfortunately I haven't the free time nor the disposable income to play airsoft regularly again. If I still had mine I'll get one of those Prometheus gears in a heartbeat. Oh, and buying them from stores other than Laylax's website will be cheaper by just over 1,000 Yen.

Regarding the cancellation of the Recce rifle, if it were cancelled, why do stores still take preorders? It's currently re-scheduled (for the nth time) to mid-November.

On the expansion of TM's EBB line, I'll believe it when I see it. But if they were to ask my take on it, they should instead make a UMP45 GBB. The technology is there (full auto Hi-Capa, select-fire G18C GBB, both having long magazines). They only need to fit it in a UMP frame and they're done.

If Tm started to do GBB rifles id have to commit suicide... They are the last innovator of the aeg for me in a sea of gbb wastes of time... though im sure they could make a good one.

i said cancelled / delayed, yes it continually keeps getting put back.. i refuse to ever take pre orders and those waiting ive told to get different guns. When it comes out it comes out, but i cant keep telling people a date and have it change again and again.

Where can I purchase the Prometheus gears? Can`t find them anywhere.

They arnt out yet dude, youll need to give most stores at least a month to start stocking it...

Just bought a Sopmod CQB-R, and will be converting it to a 16" Diemaco SFW/L119A1. I`ll have the outer barrel cut down to 10", rethreaded, and then use the Pro-Arms barrel extention. I plan to keep it rear-wired, and use a 7.4 lipo with deans, stored in a pouch fixed to the stock. Any better suggestions?

Also planing to use the same upgrades as piggeh mentioned a few pages back. Or would I be better off with the same parts from Prometheus?

Firefly Soft Hop Rubber

Firefly Flat Hop Nub

Prometheus 407 mm inner barrel

Laylax Piston Head

Laylax Sealing Nozzle

Laylax Cylinder Head

Laylax Hard Cylinder

Laylax Spring Guide

Guess I will have to change the gears as well.

Will a M85 spring from Eagle6 along with theese upgrades get me within the 330-350 fps range? as there is a 350 fps limit for full auto in Norway. If not, any other suggestions for a spring?

Btw, does anyone know if the new locking ring from Laylax is yet for sale? Could not find it anywhere.

Edit: Finally, will the Smart Control Unit be of any use? And will it fit?

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_AEG_Misc_Gearbox_Parts_Airsoft_Systems_Smart_Control_Unit.htm

With regards to the Smart control unit (SCU), I've been doing alot of pondering on this one and can only think that it will not fit inside!

The first major problem is with rear wired rifs. There simply isnt the room in a sopmod to take the actual computer unit! If the SCU could be made to fit into a front wired rif (as it is I think its only advertised that it fits rear wired AEG's) then you may be able to fit an SCU into the foregrip, though it would have to be a fore grip as I cant picture the Computer unit fitting into a Rail, and even if it did, then you'd have to house batteries in a PEQ box.

The second problem I can think of is with the Bolt lock mechanism, which is mechanical. Now Im not very mechanically minded, and although i can take apart and put back together my Socom's GB, I cant see how the SCU would intereact with the new trigger switch assembly. Maybe someone with abit more technical expertise could look at the SCU videos and see if the bolt lock mech would work with it, but I dont think that it would!

If someone trys and it does fit, and can be front wired, then let me know! I too would be very interested in the SCU then, it would make the SOPMOD/SOCOM unstoppable! good-bye lock ups!

these will be 7.4v 2800mah, unless anything changes...

There will also be a NIMH version which will be identical but 2000mah 9.6v

Not focusing on the 11.1v atm as the sopmod over 18 RPS starts to getting into timing troubles without a stronger recoil spring.

All of them will charge via your normal sopmod charing adaptor that comes in the box...

And im thinking a male to male balance lead for the funky little built in balance tab..

So, I don't know if this has popped up before but Laylax is going to join KingArms in making pistons for the Recoil Engine. RRP is Y3900 (so probably cheaper on market). Sorry no pics. Just appeared in Laylax ad in Arms November 2010 issue (and it's a drawing, not a photo).

The Problem is, that we have in germany complicated laws. In Germany, are airsofts with more than 0.5 Joule weapons, which can only shoot semi. Another point is, that airsofts over 0.5 joule need a permit. The permit is only from a german impotent possible, but no german shop make that. The german airsoft laws are very complicated (and very complicated for people from other countrys)

Hope anybody helps me.